Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo hang ups, is their a cure?

Keola5o4

I'm getting ammo hang ups during ejection in my 9mm major gun, it happens randomly. Is their any tips and tricks to smooth this out? Other then hang up gun is running flawless.

Gun has a 9lb recoil spring that's been accu railed and a aftec ejector with one spring

I am using old style infinity mags 140mm with gram springs and followers that has been tuned using the Dawson tool

My 9mm load OAL is 1.16 with precision delta hollow points.

I have included pictures, I'm all ears to any suggestions thanks!aa8f9db407402ab7e25bb22db4b202b9.jpg2e73b3627c625b373fd9be7386627237.jpgee6edd5bd835e818852dcfd9d1be4d61.jpg

@ Trent1k1, I use only one spring because the I was getting hang ups from start before I squeezed off the first round, the round will not slide into the extractor channel freely so I changed to one.

@ mro112lland , I'm not sure where during the process it hangs up because it does it randomly, I finally got it to happen at 80 to 90 rounds doing double taps, I'm thinking it's doing it during ejecting because it's not double feeding because the very tip of the bullet head get hung up at that corner of the barrel hood

Hard to tell for sure, but it looks like it is stopping right at the point where the rim slides under the extractor.

if that is the case I'd check it using this as a guide : http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/0811.htm

I have two guns with aftacs and both needed to have the aftec "tuned" to get to 100% reliability. So, in my experience they are not drop in parts. Once tuned they work great.

It looks like too much extractor tension, also did you crack the rear weld on your old style svi tubes using the dawson tools on them. That can cause them to spread on a full mag at the rear and cause some crazy feeding problems. Have your extractor tuned and try round nose bullets.

@ bamboo, thanks! I will read into that when I get off work

@bigboy69, sounds like a good idea I didn't polish or file the extractor so I will give that a try.

@412 I will inspect all of my mags when I get home

IMO, look at the bottom corner of the extractor. Round the corner and break the inside edge, which is perpendicular to the hook of the extractor.

Along with rounding the edge slightly at the top of the feeding ramp. Just break the edge, nothing more. And maybe try a shorter OAL. 1.150 to .155

Assuming you have enough tension to hold the case.

good luck

@Eric Davis, good to see you chiming in on my post, Great time shooting at area 6 with you BTW, I went off of the manual and tried that at the beginning the shell was barely griping on the extractor , then I tried to use to Springs then it was too tight so I have settled with one spring on the rear.

@Trent1k1 I am only using the one on the rear

@kimberacp The ramp is already slightly rounded and polished, would it hurt anything if I polished around the edges of the chamber and the barrel hood? I noticed those edges are really sharp

Edited by Keola5o4

Lots of good suggestions here.

Havnt seen much on mags though.

Your pics certainly show a feed problem.

Feed problems are often simply a mag issue.

Are your mags numbered and can you isolate the problem to a specific mag?

Back in the day I went nutz trying to diagnose a feed problem, all along it was just one funny mag.

There are obvious checks like measuring the feed lips, polishing, etc, however sometimes the problem with the mag is very subtle.

Good luck amigo!

Peter: I would rather have the extractor loose than too tight. Try what I suggested and see if that helps. Also compress the springs in a vice to give less pressure. It was fun shooting with you guys and I finally have all my stuff dried out. Thanks, Eric

would it hurt anything if I polished around the edges of the chamber and the barrel hood? I noticed those edges are really sharp

no that has nothing to do with the feeding issues. Also, like hombre, said your mag spring could be the problem. But I would see if there is a "groove" going up the ramp? sometimes there is no groove and the bullet is just hitting a flat wall. it needs a groove or channel to feed.

Ok I have had its exact same problem the round is not yet to the extractor and gets hung up on the bottom of the breach face you need to open up the front feed lips on the mags if that does not help use sti mags with spacers that is what fixed mine it all started when I started using mbx mags feed lips are shorter than sti went back to sti mags problem solved