Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazines not dropping (bullets pushed forward, different brand mags,

I shot in my first State match / Level II today. It was a lot of fun, but I shot 3-4 stages like crap because my mags were getting hung up in my gun. It is a little frustrating having this happen at a Level II but it still was a lot of fun. I shoot a Sig 1911 with something like 4,000 rounds through it and have never had this problem before (nor any other issue really). I've run mostly Tripp Cobra mags, but after it started happening today I tried the two Checkmate mags that came with the gun and still the same issue. And I'm using the same bullet and same cartridge length I've been using since day one.

Tripps are known to let the top round slide forward, but the Checkmates are not cut as low and should stop the second round down from sliding forward.

Even at home after the match, with the Checkmate mags, when I rack the slide and load a (dummy) round and drop the magazine, the next round down either gets hung up or comes out completely.

What's odd is that this just started happening. I've had a few things done to the gun but I'm not sure what would contribute to this. I have shot the gun in a few indoor and one outdoor matches after having the work done with no issues.

What the heck could this be? It's happening with brand new Tripps, used and trusted Tripps, and gently used and trusted Checkmates.

Edited by StraightSh00ter

Thanks Sarge. But it's also doing it with practice/dummy rounds I made awhile back. It's also happening with the mag and a bare frame (I took out the mag catch and trigger bow to make sure they aren't the culprit. The round has to be pushed forward into a very specific position for the mag to get hung up, but it seems to naturally happen a lot.

With the rounds loaded and seated normally the mags slide in and out just fine. With the top cartridge slide forward about 3/4 the way out, the mags get hung up just below where the widest part of the case is. It also coincides near where the top grip screw is on the frame.

I don't recall rounds sliding forward like that with the Checkmate mags at all. They did with the Tripp mags but it was never a problem. Strange.

I got it to happen with snap caps (SAAMI min, much shorter than my loads) by manually pushing the top round forward, and I can make it happen in both guns. I feel a little better knowing it's not the gun :) The 9mm Sig has performed well beyond expectations to this point. If they had a S80 trigger I'd probably buy another one right now.

I will take some measurements of all my mags and see if anything shows up.

Do you reload? If so, do you polish your brass? Polished brass is slicker than not polishing. Maybe friction between the rounds in the mag is pushing the next one forward? You might try using some furniture polish on a few rounds to see if that stops it. Wipe it on, let it dry and wipe it off.

Well I just measured all my mags - one Tripp is out of spec, 2 Tripps and 1 Checkmate are right at the upper limit, and the other Tripps are as much as .010" smaller in width. They are all bell out wider up at the top of the tube as well.

I think the polish (or lube) on the brass could have something to do with it - I believe I left this batch of ammo in the tumbler longer than usual and it's been awhile since I've added polish to the mix. I said I could make it happen with my practice/dummy rounds, but those are aluminum cases and aluminum on aluminum has an absurdly high coefficient of friction.

I bet it's a combination of polish/lube, temperature (I've been shooting indoors over the winter, this was outside in the sun), a new and out of spec magazine, maybe my gun being clamped and squeezed a thou or two, etc. etc.

If it began after "having a few things done to the gun" then what were the few things ????

It's hard to say since I didn't have any problem after most or all of it was done. I got a new trigger so one could think its the trigger bow, but it worked after having that work done and it also happens with the trigger bow out of the gun.

New Trigger

Mainspring Housing + Magwell

Magwell funnel

Oversized Ejector Pin

New thumb safety

Oh wow - it's not the bullets hanging up. It looks like when they get to a certain point they spread the feed lips and the sides of the mag are getting hung up.

how hard is it to remove the mag? I had similar happen to my Wilson mags but the rounds were getting stuck, I had to get a tool to pry the round back into the mag and then once the mag was out of the gun had to pry the round out as they were getting stuck in the feed lips. Certainly puts a dint in to your match. :angry2:

Try metal form mags. They really keep 9mm rounds from moving forward until they are being fed. Unloading the first two rounds is actually tough. Dawson mags are just private labeled Metalforms. They work in my Sig & DW 1911s, and they're cheap to boot. I'd get them from Dawson directly if you're running a Magwell - you'd want the extended basepads.

Make sure the magazine release is not pushing in to far. They can go to far and the magazine can rub on the opposite side of the mag release from the catch. If you put in a lighter spring it might be compressing farther than before allowing it to rub. You can make a little pin to fit inside the spring to keep it from going as far or get a longer mag release screw/pin. Also make sure magazines are not rubbing on the new Mag Well. You can take out the mag release and make sure they drop free and remove the mag well. The top round in a mag walking forward is not uncommon however if it is so far to hang in the gun that is a problem. I would try a friends magazines and see if they drop free.

• 2 weeks later...

I polished the rest of my batch of ammo and shot a different gun at a different match. I still had issues, this time where loose rounds were ending up in the slide and causing issues. Polishing the ammo made loading mags a lot easier, though. Last week the top few rounds seemed to lock in place at the rim which seemed odd, and this week it seemed back to normal.

So, Brian, thanks for the tip! :)

As others have stated around this forum, Tripp's customer service is being very supportive. They've quickly responded to my emails and are willing to help me get my mags back in tune. Since my mags worked well from last August until now it seems like a tuning issue, and they are going to take care of all 6 for me for the price of parts. They also offered to educate me on mag tuning if I was interested. I'll update as things progress.

I had already ordered a few Metalform mags, so at least I'll have something to shoot while the Tripp mags are away.

Please do update us. I'm very curious to see what the actual fix is. My tip was just a band-aid if it had worked. You don't want to use polished ammo all the time. To ease mag loading get an UPLula. They're under $40 and worth their weight in gold. I wouldn't be without one.

I will. I just got the Metalform mags and immediately realize the problem with the Tripps was the width - which is one of the first things mentioned in the reply from Tripp Research. The Metalform mags hold the round down a little lower and the feed lips don't spread as much or quickly as on my Tripp mags. I'm sure they will get them all fixed up and shipped back in short time.

I will. I just got the Metalform mags and immediately realize the problem with the Tripps was the width - which is one of the first things mentioned in the reply from Tripp Research. The Metalform mags hold the round down a little lower and the feed lips don't spread as much or quickly as on my Tripp mags. I'm sure they will get them all fixed up and shipped back in short time.

So, do you have a working gun for this weekend? We should shoot Circleville Saturday

This happened to me with Wilson ETM mags with flat wire springs.(45acp) I actually never got the issue since I switched to limited and don't play in SS much lately.

I'm curious as to what the outcome is.

I fought this same thing with a Springfield RO in 45. What fixed it for me was polishing the heck out of the bottom of the slide that contacts the next round. I think they call it the disconnector channel area. The factory had some small machining marks there. It must have been enough friction to pull the next round out of the mag enough to prevent it from dropping free.

Tripp 9MM mags are known for not dropping free, especially when partially loaded. Get Dawson's and you will not have this issue again.

I love my Tripps in .45, not so much in 9mm...

So far the report is the feed lips are spread apart (a little on some, a lot on others) and the springs are worn down just over a coil's worth of length. So they are getting adjusted, smoothed out, and new springs at the very least.

I've also got some feedback on the way the mags fit my gun, where some issues are, and will be getting some lessons in how to fix it all. This is unrelated to the dropping problem, but still really cool to have someone diagnose a gun 2,000 miles away based on a few tiny marks on a magazine.

Hopefully I'll find time to make a phone call tomorrow.