Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI light strikes

blacklab

I could use a little advise on why my open gun is giving me light strikes. The gun it self has about 3k on it and for the first 2k it ran flawless, but now I get 2 or 3 light strikes every 50 rounds. Today I put a extended firing pin and spring in it and a 17lbs main spring but it didn't help much. It's built on a C K Arms frame with a STI slide, Extreme Engineering fire controls and a Schuemann barrel set with a 2.8lbs trigger pull. I can't find any burs or nicks on the slide in the firing pin hole and it's clean enough that you could use it for open heart surgery. The load I'm using is 6.5gr. auto comp with CCI primers. If anyone has any ideas what would fix it I would be forever in your debt .

Thanks.

I should add that the same load works fine in my Steelmaster with a 15lbs main spring and stock STI parts.

First thing I would check is for high primers. Had the same issues w my open set up. It wasn't obvious high primers too. Was flush with case and still light. I seated the primer a bit deeper. Problem solved. This was with cci small rifle. Good luck.

I tried a different load today with federal primers and the gun was flawless. Looks like I'm switching from CCI to federal. I guess I just have a picky gun.

I don't believe you have a picky gun it's just that a very light trigger does not work very well with CCI primers.

Had the same kind of issue on my XDM, and got some great advice here to correct the issue. Turns out that after I replaced the recoil spring, I needed to keep my hammer spring at the factory weight instead of using the spring that came with the reduced recoil spring. Needed to increase the weight of the hammer spring to overcome the reduction in forces. Another issue I have found is my primers were sitting a tad too high and were not firing on the first strike, but would go off if I tried firing them a second time.

I have never had issues with primers since we have been forced to use whatever we could come up with here in the frozen NW, we are just now seeing pistols powders with regularity. Of course, when Billary wins her crown, you won't be able to find blackpower even. My thinking now is stock up while I can, I have a real bad feeling....................

I had the same problem with my STI Grand Master after about 15k rounds. Thought it was the CCI small rifle primers. Switched to WIN SPM primers - better but not fixed. Replaced the main spring still fails. Then I checked the firing pin. There was not enough extending on the hammer side. I replaced the firing pin with a Dawson extended steel, small diameter. I can see the difference on how much extends through the hole. There was no visual damage on the original pin.

3k + rounds no failures with either CCI or Winchester.

Again , switch from CCI, they are the hardest in the industry. Federal is the way to go. I learned that trick many years ago shooting revolvers in comp.

I run a 17lb main and XL FP in my 9s and my SVI 38SC....ALL CCI SRP never a problem.

I had a little time tonight and was checking come of the loads with CCI primers. The CCI's sit about 2 thousands higher then the Federals even though they were loaded on the same press.

Could that 2 thousands make that much of a difference?

Forgot to add they are small pistol primers.

Edited by blacklab

Primers that are seated only slightly high could cause a problem. It doesn't take much.

Also, look at all of the things that could add up to causing an issue. You have slightly high primers. Those primers are also on the hard side. If you have a little more friction in your hammer, hammer spring and firing pin than another gun then I could see this gun having an occasional issue with everything added together where another gun may not with the same ammo.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...