Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What drills to fix trigger twitching?

johnbu

I would think that if you can watch your thumb dancing around, what you really have is a total lack of concentration of your sight picture.

no, just really good peripheral vision from 40 years of martial arts training. I SEE what's around me. Maybe that lack of tunnel vision is going to limit me?

Ok, so when actually LIVE firing I still snatch the trigger. I am not rich enough to fire a gazillion rounds of ammo. What anti-trigger snatch drills can I do to help with it economically via dry fire?

With only a single round in the gun fire, then do a dry fire right after reset and the sights get re-aligned. Keep doing it until the gun does not move during the dry fire portion. (Credit: Ron Avery).

Edited by tanks

I'm thinking my issue is deeper than any quick fix. ;(

Trying lots, slow fire (1sec splits) are pretty still, trying a bill drill... the thumb is bouncing along tapping out the rhythm.

Ok, so when actually LIVE firing I still snatch the trigger. I am not rich enough to fire a gazillion rounds of ammo. What anti-trigger snatch drills can I do to help with it economically via dry fire?

With only a single round in the gun fire, then do a dry fire right after reset and the sights get re-aligned. Keep doing it until the gun does not move during the dry fire portion. (Credit: Ron Avery).

This helped me a lot. Insert mag, rack one round, drop mag, fire, fire again (click), rinse and repeat.

I would think that if you can watch your thumb dancing around, what you really have is a total lack of concentration of your sight picture.

no, just really good peripheral vision from 40 years of martial arts training. I SEE what's around me. Maybe that lack of tunnel vision is going to limit me?

Actually, after a further month I'm starting to under stand your comment. Not that I can do it....but starting to vaguely get it. A little bit.

Will keep on it

Make a tight fist around a magazine with your index finger sticking out. As tight as you can hold without shaking. While holding this tight fist, curl the finger in and out like you are running the trigger and observe the thumb. I'll bet that if the fist is sufficiently clamped there will be no sympathetic movement in your thumb or any other digits.

Nimitz said: "Why don't you buy his book?"

For those of us getting back into things and watching their long fingers drive the front sight hither and yon, do you have a "get this one first" recommendation?

Edited by leam

Make a tight fist around a magazine with your index finger sticking out. As tight as you can hold without shaking. While holding this tight fist, curl the finger in and out like you are running the trigger and observe the thumb. I'll bet that if the fist is sufficiently clamped there will be no sympathetic movement in your thumb or any other digits.

Been doing this, with some success. As a newbee, the true meaning of the words "grip tight" etc, doesn't always come across. Experience via experimentation has been showing more grip bearing down is better. Thanks for the guidance!

You can also play with the dime trick if your front sight is flat on top. While doing the white wall dry fire, place a dime on top of the front sight. Some sights are slightly angled forward so you may need to tilt the firearm a tad to keep the coin balanced. Practice pulling the trigger with the dime on top of the sight, if the dime stays on top of the sight that is a good trigger pull. It won't fix everything but it will help with a piece of the puzzle.

You can also play with the dime trick if your front sight is flat on top. While doing the white wall dry fire, place a dime on top of the front sight. Some sights are slightly angled forward so you may need to tilt the firearm a tad to keep the coin balanced. Practice pulling the trigger with the dime on top of the sight, if the dime stays on top of the sight that is a good trigger pull. It won't fix everything but it will help with a piece of the puzzle.

I used to do that with a nickle. Slow triggering I'm solid, but getting the second fast one or a Bill drill.... then the dancing. It's improving with greater grip force on the weak hand and the strong hand pinky / ring finger.

• 4 weeks later...

Been doing this, with some success. As a newbee, the true meaning of the words "grip tight" etc, doesn't always come across. Experience via experimentation has been showing more grip bearing down is better. Thanks for the guidance!

I had this lightbulb moment after making it to Master in IDPA and running with the A-class guys in USPSA... then hitting a wall.

Ben Stoeger gave me the lightbulb moment. I'd been working on a loose grip with the strong hand and tight grip with the weak hand, or thought I had, for some time. During his class Ben had me remove my weak hand and put his in it's place.

"THIS is how tightly my weak hand holds the gun."

When he told us to crush grip the gun "as tight as you possibly can" with our weak hand while shooting, he meant it. That man was gripping my strong hand like he was trying to choke it out.

(Then leave your strong hand loose, to work the trigger smoothly, since the recoil control just got moved to the other wrist.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Ok so this isn't a dry fire drill but it isn't an ammo dump either and it helps me a lot. I am a firm believer that practicing the fundamentals helps a lot. I know its boring but putting a target at 15 to 25 yards and practicing slow bullseye really helps me. It really puts an emphasis on trigger control and sight alignment. Anyway practice this but have a buddy load a mag for you. The only trick is have him or her load a snap cap somewhere in the mag. Now you know there is a dud in your mag and will be forced to practice trigger control and anticipation or it will show really bad. Helped me a lot. When that snap cap comes up in the magazine it doesn't lie.

I had this lightbulb moment after making it to Master in IDPA and running with the A-class guys in USPSA... then hitting a wall.

Ben Stoeger gave me the lightbulb moment. I'd been working on a loose grip with the strong hand and tight grip with the weak hand, or thought I had, for some time. During his class Ben had me remove my weak hand and put his in it's place.

"THIS is how tightly my weak hand holds the gun."

When he told us to crush grip the gun "as tight as you possibly can" with our weak hand while shooting, he meant it. That man was gripping my strong hand like he was trying to choke it out.

(Then leave your strong hand loose, to work the trigger smoothly, since the recoil control just got moved to the other wrist.)

I surely do not grip the left hard enough!

I have had some success loading 1 shell then dropping the mag so if you have gun set for slide lock it will close. Fire one then fire again working on not disturbing sight picture. Only problem is after awhile you are aware of this, have a buddy put a snap cap or practice round in middle of your mag, shot anticipation can be well hidden.