Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Silhouette for 9mm major

Targetpractice

I purchased some silhouette to try for 9mm major. Just wondering what you are using with silhouette for 9 major. I have the shorter 4.26 trubor barrel with t2 comp. Was looking to use either 115gr xtreme or 124gr Xtreme or 124 montana gold. Open to any other suggestions too. Thanks

124 gr Montana Gold jhp loaded a bit longer than normal with 8.1 ish grains of Sil. Its what I use in a shorty with 2 ports. Makes about 172 pf. As always start low and work up.

Edited by caspian guy

I just worked up a load for the CK Arms Thunder in 9MM. Comp is 4 port and 3 barrel holes

124gr MG HP 1.175OAL 7.84gr Silhouette 10 shot averag 1459 - ES 24 - SD 8 - power factor 180 - 65 degrees and sunny for the test fire

This gun is brand new - just picked it up yesterday and only has 50 round thru it. Still think I will back off a 0.1gr or so and see. Recoil impulse felt a bit high but the dot never left the RTS2

So I tried another load today

MG 124hp 1.165 OAL 7.72gr Silhouette 10 shot Average 1438 - ES 28 - SD 9 power factor 178

Honestly this load seemed to generate more recoil. The DOT also seems to blur more and left the glass a bit which I found surprising. I am thinking the deeper seating depth may have been a factor. I am going to load up a couple different loads and test them at the same time.

Anyone ever experimented with the same powder change and just vary the seating depth?

So I tried another load today

MG 124hp 1.165 OAL 7.72gr Silhouette 10 shot Average 1438 - ES 28 - SD 9 power factor 178

Honestly this load seemed to generate more recoil. The DOT also seems to blur more and left the glass a bit which I found surprising. I am thinking the deeper seating depth may have been a factor. I am going to load up a couple different loads and test them at the same time.

Anyone ever experimented with the same powder change and just vary the seating depth?

You did verify these rounds pass the plunk test in your barrel?

My load is 7.3gr with a Montana Gold 124gr at 1.165-1.170. Be advised that Silhouette is very reverse temp seensative. It will vary slighlty by lot as well. The referenced load was 166 pf at 113 F and 189 PF at 38 F.

When you guys say no hole or holes. Are you referring to the compensator or the barrel having holes?

They are talking barrel holes. The Comp you have has three ports right? Sil is a very good powder. You might try 115, but you will probably see really flat primers. Do you have an extended firing pin..if not..get one. 121 or 124 is a better choice.

The hotter the outside temp (like 95) Sil will go done in PF by 5 FPS.

What is a "plunk" test?

you take the barrel out of the gun. Drop a round into the chamber and twist it. Make sure it fits inside the chamber and doesn't hit the rifling
actually the plunk test is drop it in and invert the barrel and it should fall out . I call it the ker plop test. lol When you drop a round in it should plop and fall right out when you invert. If a round has anything wrong with it such as too long, not crimped, too fat, etc it will make no noise when you drop it in the chamber and it won't fall out when you tip it. :) Edited by Sarge

I failed the plunk test at 1.165 using the MG 124's. I had some factory ammo that is 1.155 and it passes the plunk and twist tests. Looks like I need to shorten up a bit.

my sti must be a lemon because my gun did not like the 124gr mg. Maybe that is your problem too? Out of curiousity, what brand of factory ammo do you have that is 1.155? That's longer than any factory ammo I've ever measured.

I failed the plunk test at 1.165 using the MG 124's. I had some factory ammo that is 1.155 and it passes the plunk and twist tests. Looks like I need to shorten up a bit.

my sti must be a lemon because my gun did not like the 124gr mg. Maybe that is your problem too? Out of curiousity, what brand of factory ammo do you have that is 1.155? That's longer than any factory ammo I've ever measured.

CCI blazer brass 115 FMJ

It was actually 1.153