Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40s&w oal

DarksideCZ

to start off I am loading 40 major for my tanfoglio. I use 180gn lead bullets.

I had been loading at 1.135" but it occurred to me I had never done the plunk test on this gun.

So I load a round to 1.2" to start and it plunks.

Then I try 1.235" and it plunks. (Wax groove is exposed.)

next I try the 1.235 in my magazine and it won't fit but the 1.2 does but with no wiggle room.

So I'm trying to decide what oal to load to. My barrel will take anything that will fit in my magazines.

I think I'm going to do my work up at 1.180.

What length do you guys load your 40 major? Especially curious about others running Cz or tanfoglio.

1.185 for my DVC, my buddies Tanfo will shoot them if you load one at a time, anything more and his mag will not feed them. He loads fairly short to get reliability.I will try to find out what length and report back.

Please let me know about his findings as far as length goes. I am happy with my 1.135" loads but have heard reliability is better w long loads. Maybe this was w a 1911 though.

And lately I have been having a ftf every 70 rounds or so. I think it is worn spring related but want to explore bullet length as well.

I load to 1.126" for my CZ TS. Everything feeds and you use less powder than if you load long. If you have no problems feed 1.135" OAL, why would you go longer?

I also get occasional failures to feed at 1.135", but never at 1.126". Longer loadings are for the 1911/2011 folks.

Edited by zzt

I load to 1.126" for my CZ TS. Everything feeds and you use less powder than if you load long. If you have no problems feed 1.135" OAL, why would you go longer?

I also get occasional failures to feed at 1.135", but never at 1.126". Longer loadings are for the 1911/2011 folks.

Thanks. This is reassuring. I'll stick w my length or maybe even try slightly shorter.

Tanfo Limited 40 cal mags, you need to load shorter than 1.145. At 1.145 or longer, after you load 15 bullets in the mag, they will start to bind, and cause the mag to become a maraca.

Stick to 1.135-1.140. I've been loading 180gn BBI's in mine for a while and have had no issues with that length.

COL is also bullet dependent.

So, if others use different bullets or their guns have slightly different chambers, they use different COL.

You have found the COL for your gun. If the old COL worked for you, there is no NEED to change.

For my EAA, I load SWCs at 1.207".