Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to Open Div, what are you guys running for mags?

Stigo

I have gotten in the habit of just starting off the same no matter, so I Barney up to a big stick, even for short classifiers.

People give me funny looks when I barney up to a big stick for like 6 rounds, but I remember being told when I first started to get a make ready routine figured out, and then always do it the same. So I do. I'm always in the same mindset that way, which I like.

I use 170s exclusively. I didn't want to bother with making decisions when to use 170s and 140s. Figured that with enough practice, I can reload a 170 as fast as I can with a 140.

I also wanted to make my practice consistent by using 170s that are fully weighted. There are so many rounds in a 170 that weight does matter.

And as for brands, I used SVI until MBX came about and now I just use MBX coz they work.

I use 170s exclusively. I didn't want to bother with making decisions when to use 170s and 140s. Figured that with enough practice, I can reload a 170 as fast as I can with a 140.

I also wanted to make my practice consistent by using 170s that are fully weighted. There are so many rounds in a 170 that weight does matter.

And as for brands, I used SVI until MBX came about and now I just use MBX coz they work.

Admit it Loke, decisions confuse you. :roflol::cheers:

I have 2 170s (1 STI, 1 SPS w/Dawsons), 4 140s (STI w/Dawsons), and 1 126 (+4 Arredondo basepad). When I used to shoot both SC and USPSA around 2010 I used a 170 in whatever order the staged gamed out as in USPSA and filled up the 170s for SC. But nowadays my thinking in SC is different. I shoot all the stages with the small mags loading each to 10 rounds so that the gun weighs the same to me on each run verses it getting lighter as I shoot with the 170s.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

good points, but i disagree slightly.

- in a 32rnd COF, that reload from the 140 to the next 140 may not happen in the best place to perform a reload... for example, a stage from a local match i'm shooting tomorrow shows 3 arrays of paper, on the left 4 paper IPSC, in the middle 8 paper IPSC, and on the right 4 more paper IPSC.... on that stage, you would either have to reload between the left and middle array or middle and right array... if your using a 140 to start your gonna need to either reload between the left and middle (your gonna be wasting a lot of rounds which isn't a good idea in case of catastrophe) or reload in the middle of the middle array which is no bueno, but if you start said stage with a 170 you will be able to shoot both first arrays and make the reload before the last array.... which IMO is the most efficient way of shooting that stage...

my point is let the stage dictate what mags you start with and end with, and don't generalize.

i am in no way a pro and i could be wrong in my evaluation, it just makes the most sense to my over-evaluative LEO brain and i live by the "KISS" and "conservation of effort" ideas

EDIT: this is a reply to Ultimo-Hombre's post on page 1, don't know how to fix it....

Edited by colt1911

STI Mags, 1 old SVI 38sc mag

chose mags based on stage lay out

9major and 38sc both run out of mine w/o spacers

But

Going to 9major only so I'm running spacers now because of only one caliber to keep up with

good points, but i disagree slightly.

- in a 32rnd COF, that reload from the 140 to the next 140 may not happen in the best place to perform a reload... for example, a stage from a local match i'm shooting tomorrow shows 3 arrays of paper, on the left 4 paper IPSC, in the middle 8 paper IPSC, and on the right 4 more paper IPSC.... on that stage, you would either have to reload between the left and middle array or middle and right array... if your using a 140 to start your gonna need to either reload between the left and middle (your gonna be wasting a lot of rounds which isn't a good idea in case of catastrophe) or reload in the middle of the middle array which is no bueno, but if you start said stage with a 170 you will be able to shoot both first arrays and make the reload before the last array.... which IMO is the most efficient way of shooting that stage...

my point is let the stage dictate what mags you start with and end with, and don't generalize.

i am in no way a pro and i could be wrong in my evaluation, it just makes the most sense to my over-evaluative LEO brain and i live by the "KISS" and "conservation of effort" ideas

EDIT: this is a reply to Ultimo-Hombre's post on page 1, don't know how to fix it....

Uh, I think we are saying the same thing.

Start with 170, reload to whatever.

I dig on the new MBX 155's

More is better. Start 170, reload to 170. I don't feel any weight difference and reloads are just as good as 140's since I'm only ever using 170's.

That said, everyone's hands are different so if 140's reload better for you go for it.

Hello: I am using 140mm mags with large base pads that gives me 27 rounds. I start with 28 and reload to 27 and they load just as fast for me as 140mm mags. They are old style SVI 140mm mags with Dawson Para base pads. I save the 170mm mags for 29 round stages. I am also using some old Style SVI 124mm with the same Para base pads that gives me 23 rounds. I mostly use those for indoor matches here. Lots of good options but choose what works best for you. Thanks, Eric