Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady Bullet feeder, worth it?

I know that the Mr. Bullet Feeder rocks. Let's get that out of the way.

My question is, does it rock more than twice as hard as the Hornady? I have decided that I might want to get a bullet feeder to speed up my loading process, but I am not really seeing the 136% value added of the MBF over the Hornady. I can get the Hornady for 250 plus the 22 dollar die, and I can use it for 9, 40, and 45 without buying expensive conversions (only another 22 dollar die).

Watching videos of it work, it seems slower than the Mr. Bullet feeder, does anyone have an estimate of how fast it can feed? Will it still be the limiting factor of my loading process?

I am loading on a 650, just by the way, and regularly load all 3 calibers, 9, 40 and 45 (so having conversions for each would be ideal).

The way I have it figured, the Hornady feeder with dies for my 3 calibers would cost 316 bucks on Amazon. Ordering off Shooters Connection for the best price on the MBF, it would be 747 dollars. That's a big difference.

Those with experience, let me know what you think! I look forward to hearing the comparisons between them.

Does the MBF rock double the Hornady?

Easy question... I have owned both, so my answer is - much more than that. Don't waste your time and money on Hornady, it isn't worth it.

As they say - cry once... I would add: and keep smiling! I voted with my money - I sold the Hornady and bought three MBF's.

One of the best moved I have ever made.

Edited by Foxbat

I have the hornady and love it for 9 and 45. I can still out run it though, but I have to really be rocking, around the 1000 a hour pace. I load Bayou Bullets and just can't get the bullet feeder tube for 40 to work well. I gave up on that tube and use the 45 tube for 40 and it works a lot better now.

I can't comment on the Hornady feeder but after a bunch of research I bought a MBF because I load hi-tek coated bullets and getting them to work in the hornady sounds like a waste of time.

Are there more issues than just the collet being sized right at .355? Cause my buddy has one of their feeder dies with the tubes and he just polished the inside oft them a tiny bit and now it works with coated just fine. I'm not terribly concerned about that part.

Does the MBF rock double the Hornady?

Easy question... I have owned both, so my answer is - much more than that. Don't waste your time and money on Hornady, it isn't worth it.

As they say - cry once... I would add: and keep smiling! I voted with my money - I sold the Hornady and bought three MBF's.

One of the best moved I have ever made.

What about it makes it worth more than double? That's what I'm trying to figure out. I know people seem to like the dies a lot more, but that seems pretty easy to fix.

Could a higher RPM motor be fit to the hornady to speed it up? I know that my brother in law could wire up a switch for it so it shuts off once it's full.

I own a hornady and like it. I think the MBF is more reliable though in terms of upside down bullets. I only use fmj and xtreme plated bullets with great success.

I wouldn't want to adjust it for multiple calipers very often. Once I got it running perfect, I didn't change bullets or calibers. 60k rounds later, I'm still happy. It is setup for .40 right now without issue.

I wouldn't get it for coated bullets or multiple calibers though honestly.

Edited by mach1soldier

I own a hornady and like it. I think the MBF is more reliable though in terms of upside down bullets. I only use fmj and xtreme played bullets with great success.

I wouldn't want to adjust it for multiple calipers very often. Once I got it running perfect, I didn't change bullets or calibers. 60k rounds later, I'm still happy. It is setup for .40 right now without issue.

I wouldn't get it for coated bullets or multiple calibers though honestly.

I see. So what about it makes hard to set up? I am transitioning away from coated bullets to plated for my 9mm ammo, which is what I load by far the most. do you have to adjust it for each caliber?

I have one on my LNL, along with the case feeder, making their "ammo plant" . Along with the Hornady bullet feeder. I only load 45ACP jacketed.

Some observations:

- It will take a little tweaking to get the wipers just right, to ensure only one bullets gets fed into the tube at a time, and right side up.

- It will take a little adjusting of the plate and the tube, to optimize bullet feeding into the tube.

- I put a couple of pieces of duct tape on the bottom of the hopper so that I could dump in over 200 bullets and not have them fall out when the collator is spinning.

- I modded the collator to add two pieces of looped wire at the molded bumps. The bumps do nothing to ensure all the bullets get fed. This mod will ensure all bullets will get fed.

- Use of the BF requires giving up a station. If you seat and crimp in separate stations and have a lockout die/powder cop, one will have to go. In my case, I could not get rounds to reliable gauge seat/crimp in same die, so the lock out die sits on the shelf.

- The biggest, and most import thing that is required, IMHO, is to use the MRBF PTX with the Hornday powder drop. He machines them just for the LNL, and include a shoulder to ensure the bullet rests IN the case, and not on top of the flared case. This alone fixed my bullet tipping issue.

After all this, I am very happy with it. They all require some tweaking. All depends on how much patience and time/money you are willing to spend. I wanted to keep mine all Hornday, or as best as I can.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=224770&p=2549290

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/330605_.html

I have one on my LNL, along with the case feeder, making their "ammo plant" . Along with the Hornady bullet feeder. I only load 45ACP jacketed.

Some observations:

- It will take a little tweaking to get the wipers just right, to ensure only one bullets gets fed into the tube at a time, and right side up.

- It will take a little adjusting of the plate and the tube, to optimize bullet feeding into the tube.

- I put a couple of pieces of duct tape on the bottom of the hopper so that I could dump in over 200 bullets and not have them fall out when the collator is spinning.

- I modded the collator to add two pieces of looped wire at the molded bumps. The bumps do nothing to ensure all the bullets get fed. This mod will ensure all bullets will get fed.

- Use of the BF requires giving up a station. If you seat and crimp in separate stations and have a lockout die/powder cop, one will have to go. In my case, I could not get rounds to reliable gauge seat/crimp in same die, so the lock out die sits on the shelf.

- The biggest, and most import thing that is required, IMHO, is to use the MRBF PTX with the Hornday powder drop. He machines them just for the LNL, and include a shoulder to ensure the bullet rests IN the case, and not on top of the flared case. This alone fixed my bullet tipping issue.

After all this, I am very happy with it. They all require some tweaking. All depends on how much patience and time/money you are willing to spend. I wanted to keep mine all Hornday, or as best as I can.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=224770&p=2549290

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/330605_.html

Thanks for the links, that ar15 thread has some awesome information.

1: I don't use a powder cop/lockout currently, so no loss there.

2: Is this the ptx die that you are talking about? http://www.cedhk.com/shop/products/Mr.BulletFeeder-by-DAA-Powder-Funnel-for-Pistol.html I don't use an LNL, I have a 650 and use the dillon powder measure. Does the stock PTX for the Dillon work to keep the bullets upright? I do have a shell plate bearing kit and low mass detent ball and spring, so it indexes pretty softly.

3: how fast would you estimate it can go? 600 rounds an hour? 1000 rounds an hour? I don't want to be sacrificing some raw speed just for the sake of not having to manually set a bullet on the cases.

4: I shouldn't ever have the issue of the hopper running out of bullets (I generally try to avoid running out of components in the middle of a reloading session), I can just keep it topped off so it continues to feed, and the wire mod seems very easy to do anyhow.

Thank you again for the help!

It only takes me five minutes to change calibers with 95% success. Getting it to feed fast, and not any upside down bullets is what took longer. 100%

I'm assuming it is the tweaking of the wiper angles and stuff that makes it take all the extra time? How fast do you think it feeds when its running good?Thanks for all the help.

Hornady was incredibly noisy, and it would run all the time, if I remember correctly. So I had to make a tight fitting damped lid to reduce the noise, and also put the microswitch on the tube, to make sure it only ran when needed... still sold it quickly.

You just have to try both to see the differences. I guess few of us here have experience with both, and Hornady will kinda get the job done, but MBF is in another league, it is small, quiet, and just all around pleasant.

Here's the pic of my one time Hornady setup.

post-21305-0-78951900-1458246456_thumb.j

Hornady won't work out of the box with coated. I opened the die fingers up with a sharpie and now it works great. The noise if annoying but how much it turning itself off is up to you

2: Is this the ptx die that you are talking about? http://www.cedhk.com...for-Pistol.htmlI don't use an LNL, I have a 650 and use the dillon powder measure. Does the stock PTX for the Dillon work to keep the bullets upright? I do have a shell plate bearing kit and low mass detent ball and spring, so it indexes pretty softly.

No. Email Rick at rick@mrbulletfeeder.com and tell you need his PTX for a Hornady LNL what what caliber you need it in. He machines these up and usually has a few on hand.

3: how fast would you estimate it can go? 600 rounds an hour? 1000 rounds an hour? I don't want to be sacrificing some raw speed just for the sake of not having to manually set a bullet on the cases.

I can load 100 rounds in about 5 min. This is not trying to be blazing fast, just trying to have a good, quick, steady pace. YMMV

Hope this helps.

The mr bullet will potentially be twice as fast if not more.

One simple reason. Hornady can only feed the bullets that fall into the slots the right way. All others fall back. The mr bf will feed bullets that are in slots the right way and any upside down it'll flip them over and feed them too. It also has a wide range of speed adjustment. Even near the slowest it'll run 1000 rph.

There is nothing the hornady does better. Mbf better in every possible way.

I have it and use it for 9 & 45 -- all coated lead/the Blue Bullets -- and it works quite well. Took a little tweaking of the collets in the dies but once set they feed as well as jacketed.

Biggest problem for me is that it is noisy so I just have a cover over it that helps a lot. Might some day get around to installing a sensor/cut-off switch so that it doesn't run once the tube is full.

Do you need it? If you're younger and don't have arthritis probably not as it won't help a lot with speed. But for us slightly older folks it does help and makes relaoding faster and easier. Since I'm not that fast to begin with it never falls behind my reloading.

FYI - I seat and crimp in different stations so when using it I do give up the powder check die...I just look into each case to confirm powder and use powders for these 2 cartridges that meter very consistently (Bullseye & Power Pistol)

The mr bullet will potentially be twice as fast if not more.

One simple reason. Hornady can only feed the bullets that fall into the slots the right way. All others fall back. The mr bf will feed bullets that are in slots the right way and any upside down it'll flip them over and feed them too. It also has a wide range of speed adjustment. Even near the slowest it'll run 1000 rph.

There is nothing the hornady does better. Mbf better in every possible way.

Well then I guess no bullet feeder for me. I don't have that kind of money to spend on one, nor would I want to. that is just stupid money.

I guess I'll buy some bullets. Probably better off doing that anyway.

To be honest I saw no sense in a bullet feeder for ages. I thought I was pretty quick placing them by hand.

One day I impulse bought a mr bf as a local shop had one in stock.

It was definitely worth the $. It's not just the speed increase. But now left hand is totally free. Also you can run a constant stroke rythym. This seem to help make everything more consistent.

If you can't afford one now my advice is wait until you have more $. Buying the cheaper version will likely just make you want a mr bf even more.

Fortunately in the meantime your 650 will still crank ammo without one. ;)

Perfectly said, BeerBaron! Will sign under every word.

Save and buy a good one, and as far as "needing" it - once you have used it, there is no going back.

However, as often in life, much depends on your demand. If it is fairly low, then you can do perfectly fine without the bullet feeder. I have done it for many years, before finally taking the plunge.

I'm loading about 1000 rounds a month at this point, and don't really mind setting bullets on the cases. I just wanted one so I could go faster. The less time it takes to load my ammo, the more time I have for other stuff the way I see it

you guys have any experience with the mini MBF vs the big MBF I load 9mm coated Bayou 147s and .223 jacketed 55 grn Hornadys. I'm trying to decide.

$250 for the mini for 2 calibers and $650 for full size MBF in 2 calibers

THX

Edited by Quag

The collator is where the gain is. With the mini you just move the bullet placing time somewhere else (ie filling up the tubes). So net time saved is minimal if any. Sure reloafing is faster but you have a new task you didn't have before called 'tube filling'.

So for me the collator is the way to go.