Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady Bullet feeder, worth it?

I have the hornady and just recently got a mbf to go with a 1050. The mbf is faster and way less noise. The hornady works and is ok if you - seriously - wear ear muffs. I put insulation in it, around it and on top of it with a lid and it is still way louder than mbf.

I'll still use the hornady on the lnl but there is no question mbf is superior except for one thing. The feeding spring on the mbf is very lame compared to the hornady Spring tube.

I think a bullet feeder is a great thing to have and I'd rather deal with the hornady noise than go without. I found it easy to set up for jhp and it's quite reliable.

The collator is where the gain is. With the mini you just move the bullet placing time somewhere else (ie filling up the tubes). So net time saved is minimal if any. Sure reloafing is faster but you have a new task you didn't have before called 'tube filling'.

So for me the collator is the way to go.

That's partially true. I think it's still faster to fill tubes of bullets than placing individually on each case and making sure it's square and not tipping.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Okay so I didn't think I was going to get one of the Hornady's based on what was said here, but I decided to give it a shot because I found one for pretty cheap, and want to give it a try. If it doesn't work out then I will just sell it.

So the new question is how much bell are you guys using on your cases to get the rounds to sit in them during indexing? I'm not opposed to buying the MBF PTX for the dillon measure, but I don't want to buy the Hornady powder measure just so I can use that special PTX Greg mentioned. Truly I want to use my dillon PTX.

I do have a bearing on my shell plate, and a low mass detent ball.

Thoughts?

I've received the mini-MBF and loaded my first 500 rounds. No flaws smooth as butter. However, I understand the previous posters comment that you don't save much time given the time it takes to load the 6 tube 100 9mm round bullet dispenser. However at this point I'm ok with this as I frequently stop to case gauge rounds and load new primer tubes.

Excellent product for the price. I've not tried .223 yet. However I can definitely see upgrading to the big MBF sometime in the future. Next product to get is a case gauge to check multiple rounds as I am cranking out so many bullets right now in one sitting.