Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tight Winchester Primer Pockets

RangerTrace

I started my run today to fill up my ammo cans with loaded 40 ammo (before converting the press to 223). Holy Moly I had a hard time with a bunch of super tight primer pockets on once fired Winchester brass. I've noticed the difference between head stamps and brands of primers, but this is the first time I actually had a hand full of high primers.

I was cursing that WIN brass all weekend long....Two hours of mashing Federal primers into crimped brass and clearing out the debris just to load 300 rounds.

I almost chambered one and shot the press :surprise: but then I remembered how long it took me to make the round so I reconsidered....

Edited by Shmella

I've never found the crimped ones. But I do know that the WORST combination I've found is Winchester brass and a Winchester primer. In 9mm and .45. Federals fit perfect.

9 mm too.

It's gotten to the point that I don't load once fired Winchester in 9 or 40 anymore, since I don't have a way of removing the crimp. I'd rather trade or sell it. Bad news, there, Sarge, if you found it in .45 as well.

So, obviously I was able to seat 598 primers with additional effort, without swaging. Since I don't have a 1050, I guess the proper procedure would be to deprive and swage all of these before actually loading, right?

I agree with Steve. If they are flush or below I would mark them and shoot them. The marking would tell you they need staged or reamed before you load next time.

Then I would ream/ swage the rest. I have found I can put a reamer in a drill and zip out hundreds of crimped pockets pretty quickly.

I used to use once fired Win .40 brass (LE brass) for my limited loads using Win primers it was not a problem. Then I switched over to using Tula primers and they just didn't like each other. Loaded up a few K rounds for a Manny Brag class years ago after the National's and had light hits because they weren't seated enough.

Started using one fired Fed .40 brass with the Tula primers and the Fed brass has a bit more generous primer pocket because I have had no issues since.

Neal in AZ