Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag carriers for sti. Racer or Race Master and why

ShortBus

why? i have been using racers for 3 years or so now not an issue with them

Because of the look of the metal. I just upgraded to a race master holster from a racer for the same reason

In one of those recent videos where Saul Kirsch interviews Max Michel, Max says he uses the Racers because they give him a smoother pull versus the Racemaster. I haven't compared them in that respect, but I've been very happy with the Racers and would put the money towards ammo or training over the pouch upgrade.

• 4 weeks later...

I have rigs setup with both (as in one full rig with RMs and one full rig with Racers). both rigs are the same belt (CR speed deluxe).

In some ways I prefer the racers. They are lighter. not an issue if you run big sticks and just have 2-3 pouches but in 10 round land you need 5 pouches and the difference is not massive but it's there.

They are cheaper. again not a big deal if you only need 2, but makes a difference when you buy 5. I also always have at least 1 spare pouch in my kit incase one breaks going prone etc.

The black plastic ones hold up better to scratches etc than the black alloy ones.

The main advantage the race masters have is the ball joint. For those who want the pouch canted in or out you need that ball joint. The downside is when new they will keep coming loose for a while till they settle down. the racers have a simple plastic ratchet type washer that sets easily and stays set.

so they each have their pluses and minuses. but for most people I recommend the racers. For open shooters who only need 2-3 pouches and need the cant then race masters are the go. or by all means if you like the look better buy the race masters. :)