Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What case prep do you do before loading?

LeviSS

Do you...

Measure case length?

Clean primer pocket?

Chamfer/deburr?

Anything else?

I've been doing all of this after tumbling. I just got a Dillon and am wondering if I'm wasting my time doing all this case prep before loading. I've been shooting more, so I upgraded from a single stage press and am trying to figure out ways to make loading faster.

Clean your cases, check for cracks or other defects, make sure all are the correct caliber that you are loading at the time, make sure all are small or large primer (.45 ACP) you are loading at the time, make sure no steel or aluminum cases are in the batch. Then load them. That's about all you need to do. Most of this you can do as you are loading them.

The most important thing you can do using a Dillon or any other progressive press is look into the case before setting a bullet to make sure it is not double charged. Try not to upset your rhythm by starting and stopping a lot. This leads to all kinds of problems you don't need.

Edited by bowenbuilt

On straight wall pistol caliber brass; Tumble, inspect each and every one, put them in your storage container, put them in the case feeder as needed and load. It's just that simple, with a progressive press.

I, personally, do another visual inspection after they are loaded, and while gauging. Sometimes one will crack during the loading process.

Done!

wondering if I'm wasting my time doing all this case prep before loading.

Yes, you are wasting your time.

If you have a case feeder, I'd suggest you check the brass after cleaning, and

make sure there are no crimps, undesirable calibers/headstamps or live primers.

I don't have a case feeder, so I just clean the brass (tumble) and spray some

lube on the cases and let them dry a few hours, and then visually check the

brass/primers as I feed them into the SDB I have.

Takes a little longer, but I don't have to "prep" the cases beforehand.

:cheers:

wondering if I'm wasting my time doing all this case prep before loading.

Yes, you are wasting your time.

I don't have a case feeder, so I just clean the brass (tumble) and spray some

lube on the cases and let them dry a few hours...

Do you lube cases even with carbide dies?

Thanx for the tip on "One shot" I'll need to give it a try. Normally I don't lube handgun brass.

If it's range brass I'll tumble with ground walnut hulls. Then I tumble with corn cob and Dillon polish. I never check for crimped primers as they won't hurt the Dillon press. If resistance is felt just stop and remove the brass. I do inspection after loading.

Inspect... de-prime (on separate press) .. wet pin clean... dry all brass in DAA brass dryer... spray with One Shot.. then load.... case gauge EVERY loaded round..

Tumble in a harbor freight tumbler with corn cob and nufinish. Scoop the brass up with my handy dandy little harbor freight bowl with a magnet in the bottom. Give a quick a quick visual for cracks, cursed .40 brass and evil .380 brass.... Place into large tupper ware tote and spray with one shot. Load one dixie cup at a time into the 1050 case feeder. For match loads I try to buy large lots of once fired winchester brass.

Interesting topic,

I sort all the brass (range pickup with my own) then tumble in walnut with polish for 3 hours (timer). Then check cases for cracks, wear, tracking lines and then in to one of 3 boxes bad to scrap box, trade in box and box for my use. Then I re-check and sort in to cal & head stamps.