Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What tools do y'all take with you to the range?

Canman

I carry a 12" long, solid brass rod and small brass hammer for squibs, a gunsmith screwdriver set, Glock tool or other small punch, and allen wrenches. That covers pretty much everything I'm willing to tackle while at the range.

Food, water, wallet (don't ask), C-More batteries, ammo, mags, screwdrivers,

allen wrenches, targets and target stands, stapler, tape, pen, ear muffs,

range pass, spotting scope, box for empty cartridge cases, chrono. :cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

locally I don't take anything unless I have reason to expect a problem. I can always borrow stuff from other well-equipped shooters that I know.

For majors I take my plastic ammo box that has all the tools I ever use to clean, detail or work on my guns. it's got an allen wrench set, punch set, cleaning kit, oil, some screwdrivers and picks and stuff, and a few spare parts.

Cleaning gear with oil, ammo, small tool kit with hex,torx, screwdrivers, pliers etc ( any tools I need to break down and assemble gun), cleaning towel,extra fiber optic rods, squib rod with small hammer, lead wiping cloths( for hands), extra mags, stapler and staples, med kit, shooting glasses and ears.

I've been gearing up my bag too. So far I've got my lulu for reloading mags, mags, Allen wrench set, screw driver set. I try to do all my cleaning prior or after the match so I don't take that stuff with me.

• 2 weeks later...

For a while, before every match you'll put in what you didn't have last match. After a while, when you never need that stuff, you'll start taking things out. Then it's a joyful game of swapping things you needed for things you didn't need, but never having what you need when you need it. Soon you'll be bringing stuff you borrowed last time to pay friends back, or being paid back for things you loaned out.

This game should entertain you for many years.

UpLula, Leatherman, wrenches for sights, brass squib rod (+hammer), nylon pick, CLP, collapsible cleaning rod with patches, timer, rags, disposable gloves, shooting gloves, spare shooting glasses, flashlight, spare batteries, first aid kit.

I just have a screw driver set specific to my gun and a larger random set, a knife, oil, leatherman. That's about it. Only spare part is a firing pin. Seems like I carry more than that, but that's all I can think of. The screw driver and the firing pin kept me shooting one sunny day!

I shoot a fixed sight G 34 in Production. I have a mag brush that has an integral punch that lets me get the stock base pads off. The same punch will let me disassemble everything in the gun except for two springs and the connector, for which a small flat bladed screwdriver and/or a pair of needle nose pliers will do.

Even though the brush and the punch are what I actually use almost exclusively, I did break one mag catch spring and having the screwdriver and pliers allowed a quick save of my club match. At important matches I just bring an identically set up Glock and switch over after clearing it with the RM, rather than try to frantically diagnose, fix and test fire the main gun, which tends not to go well, and, even if it does, messes with my head.

The screwdriver helps to pry the empties out of my .22 conversion, as the only .22 ammo I can find nowadays is not what the unit likes to shoot.

I also have a squib rod and hammer, a multitool, a front sight tool for the hex headed screws on my aftermarket Glock FS's, none of which I have ever used myself, and a lighter to melt in new rod for the fiber optic (used once, on somebody else's gun).

I have a small cleaning kit that I have never used during a match, major other otherwise, once I started using the Glocks (I just clean them before the match).

I have a pair of work gloves to help set up and tear down. I also have a small tack puller that I use to pull old staples from target sticks, since it is one of my pet peeves that the only non shot up target sticks I can find on our bays are lousy with old staples that won't let the new target staple on securely.

• 2 weeks later...

In my backpack: lube, various cleaning supplies (patches, brushes), cleaning rod, small flat blade screwdriver, hex key multi-tool(s) depending on rifle/pistol being shot, stapler, staples, tape, spare ear-pro batteries, spare optic batteries, spare mags, back-up weapon. When I shoot my USP Expert, I bring a USP Tactical as a backup. When I shoot my SCAR...well, I bring an AR because I afford another SCAR.

Never needed the cleaning kit. Have needed the lube a few times. Only needed the back up gun once and I don't think there was a mechanical problem, but a fatigue problem with me. I have needed the hex key tools on a few occasions - most recently I forgot to open up the adjustable gas on my rifle after I cleaned it and would have had a single-shot rifle for the entire range day had I not brought the hex keys.

Depending on the match/class and distance traveled/money spent, you may want to bring not only spare guns, but spare parts as well. I have no recommendation here as I simply do not do that; all spare parts at home and matches aren't that far away.

• 4 months later...