Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front strap checkering

I'm looking for a gunsmith that can serrate/checker the front strap on a Gen1 Caspian double stack. Caspian no longer checkers the gen1 since they changed the profile of the front strap. The magwell prevents a checkering file to be used down the strap. So, If i could get a gunsmith to do a 25lpi serration down the strap then it could be hand checkered in the perpendicular direction. If you need a refresher on the gen1 Caspian attached is a pic

I think this may be the only way to get a clean checkering job done to this thing, unless anyone has any other ideas. #NOgriptape

post-62034-0-05137200-1455990357_thumb.j

Edited by LowryWeaponsSystems

You will be very limited in your search, most smiths won't touch it. One of the best in the industry is Jim at Innovative Custom Guns 814-766-3004. Jim worked at EGW with George for many years, then started his own when George decided to stop building custom guns. George will tell you himself to call Jim. The problem that you run into is the integral magwell that prevents the checkering.

Tell Jim that Tommy Roupe told you to call, you will not be disappointed in Jims work.

I had one early Caspian which done by hand, and yes...it is doable but requires a lot of patients and hand work. The frame on that one cracked and Caspian replaced it. On the second go around I opted not to do the checkering and instead put the Caspian die-cut grip tape on then installed the wood grips (just like you have in the pic) over the grip tape. I like that set up quite a bit although it wasn't as sexy as the hand checkering. Didn't add as much thickness to the grip as I thought it would. It would be a cheap and easy experiment to try the die cut tape to see if you like it.

Also, as an FYI - Caspian is again selling fully checkered slim grips for the double stack, now in Micarta and Wood. It looks like they may have the old Navidrex Caspian grip profile, which is nice.

I know it's an autocorrect boobooo....

But i love the idea of defiantly setting up a CNC machine :)

Take that, you evil end mill !!!

Sent by Jedi mind control

Edited by CZinZA

You will be very limited in your search, most smiths won't touch it. One of the best in the industry is Jim at Innovative Custom Guns 814-766-3004. Jim worked at EGW with George for many years, then started his own when George decided to stop building custom guns. George will tell you himself to call Jim. The problem that you run into is the integral magwell that prevents the checkering.

Tell Jim that Tommy Roupe told you to call, you will not be disappointed in Jims work.

EGW used to EDM a pocket into the Caspian front strap and then weld their checkered insert into the pocket.

That being said, Jim knows what he is doing, having worked at EGW for years before going out on his own.

Why all this heartache? You don't have a problem, you have an opportunity.

Checkering doesn't have to be up-down+left-right. You can turn the checkering angle 45 degrees and get the same effect (original Colt factory checkering option was 45 degree angled). You'll have a small inverted V at the bottom where you can't quite get in there but that would look cool anyway, make it match at the top.

Or you can have the strap machined. Chainlink, stippled, scalloped, sandblasted with a design in it... think up something awesome and go for it. If you're willing to pay for custom machining just to get plain old checkering anyway, go crazy on it! :devil:

Edited by Absocold

Checkering doesn't have to be up-down+left-right. You can turn the checkering angle 45 degrees and get the same effect (original Colt factory checkering option was 45 degree angled). You'll have a small inverted V at the bottom where you can't quite get in there but that would look cool anyway, make it match at the top.

Or you can have the strap machined. Chainlink, stippled, scalloped, sandblasted with a design in it... think up something awesome and go for it. If you're willing to pay for custom machining just to get plain old checkering anyway, go crazy on it! :devil:

I agree! the 45 degree would look cool!

I found the checkering on my springfields was much too sharp for me and knocked it down with files and sandpaper. I would like to try stippling, not the heavy/deep plastic gun stippling but the matte effect stippling you see on top of slides sometimes. I think it would be grippy without being painful. make sure to show us the results of whatever you go with

Red

This could be awesome to be honest