Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ P-09 vs GP Xcalibur vs GP Xtrim vs Bersa thunder 9 xt pro

I'm looking at getting a new competition oriented handgun and am not sure what to go with. My budget is kind of limited but the options I listed all seem very similar.

With CGW parts the P-09 seems to come in at about $700. The Xtrim is about the same. The Xcal is the most expensive at close to $800. The Bersa is not currently available but the local shop said the price would be around $700, although from the threads on here it sounds like they come with 5 mags which makes it possibly the best deal of the bunch. Aside from the Bersa (which seems to use pro mags, which worries me), mags seem to be $40 each.

With everything other than the CZ, I am concerned with replacement parts in the event that something breaks.

Reliability and accuracy are top concerns. Reliability because who wants something that doesn't work, and accuracy because I won't be able to go to many matches for a while but I can go print groups whenever I have free time.

Also, I'm not really sure what the differences between the Xtrim and Xcalibur are other than length.

I am also somewhat interested in the Sig p320 target but i have no idea when that will become a production model.

Other suggestions aside from Glock, Springfield, and S&W are welcome but I can't think of any other comparable pistols except maybe the CZ shadow which is a little more money (and given the crazy accuracy reports of the p-09 I'd probably go with the p-09), the Wilson Beretta which I think is overpriced but nice, and the Walther ppq, which I just don't like in m2 form due to the frame.

Edited by polymerfeelsweirdman

Why are you determined to run an off-brand gun, do you live in South America or something?

The automotive equivalent to this is:

What's the best car made today between these choices: The Geely GE, SsangYong Chairman, Mitsubishi Mirage or the Wheego LiFe? Other suggestions aside from Ford, GM and Toyota are welcome, but I can't think of anyone that makes a comparable sedan.

If you're not sure what you want but you're considering the weirdest guns that no one likes for no stated reason and refuse to consider what the entire industry is built around, then how are we going to decide for you?

Have you considered the Taurus ____?

Edited by KSwift

Isn't it a bit of a stretch to say no one likes CZ's/SIG's or that they're offbrand? They're not only popular and dominant in action pistol (at least the CZ 75 series and its derivatives) but outside of it as well. It is probably even a stretch to say that for the Grand Powers given the popularity they seem to have on these boards.

The Bersa normally wouldn't have even made my list but based on how people seem to like them on these boards I figured it was worth asking about.

My experience is mostly with Glocks, and I already know I don't like either the M&P or the XD series of guns.

If you drank Coca-cola your entire life, wouldn't you eventually get bored of Coca-cola? This is partly me wanting to try Dr. Pepper and partly me wanting a double action/single action gun as opposed to a striker based gun.

Edited by polymerfeelsweirdman

I have three of the four... P09, Bersa and Xcal. I'm more accurate with the Xcal and it feels a smidge better in my hand than the P09 and Bersa. All have great triggers, the p09 has the CGW trigger job+some mods of my own bringing the SA down to 2lbs and 5.11lbs. DA. The Xcal has part 52 removed and is 2.3 SA, 5.12 DA. The Bersa is stock and is 3.1/6.13.

Reliability wise P09. However,I don't have enough time with the Bersa... maybe about 500 rounds so far, but no issues. The size of the magazine release on the Bersa is an issue for me though, it's hard to hit. If an extended one isn't offered in the near future it may go on the chopping block.

I also have a CZ shadow custom which I'm as accurate or a little bit more accurate with than the Xcal and it's been totally reliable. The other guys... I have most of them, but would take the CZ shadow custom, P09 or Grand Power Xcal over them. I've never owned the Wilson Beretta... yet.

But in all, it comes down to how it feels in your hand and what your going to use it for. For target/competition shooting, my preference would be the Shadow Custom and Grand Power Xcal, for self defense the P09. That's not saying the P09 wouldn't make a fine competition gun, I just think the other two do it a smidge better.

I'm sure others will have a different take on this though.

Hope this helps you a bit.

I have three of the four... P09, Bersa and Xcal. I'm more accurate with the Xcal and it feels a smidge better in my hand than the P09 and Bersa. All have great triggers, the p09 has the CGW trigger job+some mods of my own bringing the SA down to 2lbs and 5.11lbs. DA. The Xcal has part 52 removed and is 2.3 SA, 5.12 DA. The Bersa is stock and is 3.1/6.13.

Reliability wise P09. However,I don't have enough time with the Bersa... maybe about 500 rounds so far, but no issues. The size of the magazine release on the Bersa is an issue for me though, it's hard to hit. If an extended one isn't offered in the near future it may go on the chopping block.

I also have a CZ shadow custom which I'm as accurate or a little bit more accurate with than the Xcal and it's been totally reliable. The other guys... I have most of them, but would take the CZ shadow custom, P09 or Grand Power Xcal over them. I've never owned the Wilson Beretta... yet.

But in all, it comes down to how it feels in your hand and what your going to use it for. For target/competition shooting, my preference would be the Shadow Custom and Grand Power Xcal, for self defense the P09. That's not saying the P09 wouldn't make a fine competition gun, I just think the other two do it a smidge better.

I'm sure others will have a different take on this though.

Hope this helps you a bit.

That helps a lot, thanks. I might try to figure out a way to stretch my budget for a Shadow, but I do like the P-09 from the ones I've checked out.

Reliability and accuracy are top concerns. Reliability because who wants something that doesn't work, and accuracy because I won't be able to go to many matches for a while but I can go print groups whenever I have free time.

No worries with accuracy on the P09. (Not me shooting, but a darned good guy!)

The accuracy on the P-09 is so amazing for some people that I've been tempted to buy one for some time now...

Why are you determined to run an off-brand gun, do you live in South America or something?The automotive equivalent to this is:What's the best car made today between these choices: The Geely GE, SsangYong Chairman, Mitsubishi Mirage or the Wheego LiFe? Other suggestions aside from Ford, GM and Toyota are welcome, but I can't think of anyone that makes a comparable sedan.If you're not sure what you want but you're considering the weirdest guns that no one likes for no stated reason and refuse to consider what the entire industry is built around, then how are we going to decide for you?Have you considered the Taurus ____?

Now here is a post full of information. Do you really thinks it adds anything to the conversation?

Regarding the P-09

Mine prefers .356 bullets

I have a thread about tuning the trigger:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=220649&hl=+p&#820809%20+tuning&page=1

I have my P-09 all set up for CO (minus the dot but including the Springer mount) and most likely will be selling it with 5 magazines and a bunch of spare parts etc. Let me know if interested.

Another question, is there a secret place to get P-09 mags at for a decent price?

No.

Expect to pay about $43/ea. I have heard rumors of them being sold once in a 3 for $100 sale but have never seen it myself.

I have pretty much a wide range of production guns.

I have one Bersa Pro Xt 9 and a few Xcal's. That being said, both have pluses and minuses. The Bersa has some hand fitting done from the factory, and at least my Bersa will outshoot one of my Xcal's and is on par with the other. The trigger is a bit shorter on the Bersa, but the mag release is hard to reach. The 5 mags is a plus, I have not had any problems with mine. The Xcals seem to need a new extractor around 13000 rounds or so, and springs about 5000.

The Bersa easily makes weight for CO and so does the Xcal. I have mounts in stock for the Xcal. Mags for the GP guns seem to be running around $45 when you find them. Eagle does have some as of last time I looked.

I have a few Shadows as well. They will cost you more, but you can add on options. Mags seem to be cheaper for this platform.

I bought a used P-09 a month ago ($525) that had a third mag, a lot of Cajun GW parts, grip tape module, Dawson FO sight set, Blade Tech holster with Tek-Loc, etc. The guy was upgrading to a CZ Tac Sport .40 for Limited. I have not used it in competition yet, but it is a nice gun. I shot a Glock 34 in USPSA last year (started competition last year) and DW PM-9 (single stack and IDPA). I just bought a CZ SP-01 (ordered some Cajun GW parts for it). This year is my try the above-mentioned platforms and decide on a finalist. I decided not to buy a CZ Shadow (at least until I decided if the platform was my final choice and then I would have a backup gun).

I can tell you that I will keep the P-09 even if I end up shooting the SP-01 in competition. The trigger is sub 3# SA and 7# or under DA. It is accurate and fits my hand well. I will be shooting some 3-gun this year also and the P-09 may be my choice for that competition style.