Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wet tumbler

RichJacot

I've just started wet tumbling. I made my own similar to Dawg's design.

Anyway, my question is how long can I leave my brass in the tumbler?

I've read not to leave it in the tumble when the cycle completes but other than that I haven't seen a time limit.

I'd like to start a batch when I leave for work, about 6am, and take it out when I get home, about 6pm. Is that too long?

I'm using a .45 full of Lemishine and a squirt of dawn with hot water in a 6" tube 19" long.

Edited by RichJacot

I can't imagine tumbling it that long. I use a cement mixer and it runs for an hour. I rinse it immediately to get the nasty water/soap mixture off it. Then I separate the brass from the pins, rinse the brass a couple of more times and then spread them out on towels to dry. Dry time varies between a couple of hours (summer in the sun) to a week (winter time in my heated shop) I think anything past an hour (mine don't get any cleaner if I tumble it longer) would just add wear to the brass from them bouncing off one another. JMO

Sorry. No I don't plan on tumbling it that long. It will be on a two hour timer and then set idle until I get home.

I see you mention it to: "I rinse it immediately" and that's all I really find in searches. I'm just wondering what it will hurt if sit for X length of time. Will it just get sediment on it? If that's the case can't I just kick the time back on for say 15 minutes to knock that off and stir everything back up?

With some formulations in the tumbler, if you leave the brass over 3 hrs max it will discolor. With just Dawn you can leave it for a long, long time. I think the ArmorAll wash & wax is ok to leave it for a long time. What ever you plan on using, mix up a little and throw 5 or 10 cartridges in it and let it sit overnight and see if any discoloration occurs.

Try it and find out. With my water and solution, I can tumble for 1 hour and leave it for 23 hours until the next day when I rinse and separate and everything is fine.

Edit: I'll add that sometimes I'll turn on the tumbler for 5 minutes before rinsing and separating (and sometimes I don't) just to make sure none of the dirt has settled or reattached to the cases. I have never noticed a difference either way.

Edited by RDA

When I was researching ss pin tumbling I ran across several references to brass losing zinc as it sits in water. Presumably at some advanced state you can get redish spots or it can take on a pinkish hue. I've never seen it myself. And I have no clue how many hours it takes to set in. But that may be what you should watch for.

That being said, I run my Frankford Arsenal tumbler on the full 3 hour cycle then pull it out right away -- always within an hour but normally within a few minutes. I find it hard to worry too much about maybe 50 hours of accumulated water time for brass that may miraculously survive in my collection for 12-15 cycles. But if your shooting habit allows you to reclaim a fair percent of your brass I wonder if brass accumulating several hundred hours of water time might get into worrisome territory.

Good luck!

If I forget to take it out shortly after tumbling and leave it overnight, I run it for 30 minutes the following day before draining/rinsing to re-suspend the particles.

Always look minty fresh that way.

It's not the soap that's a concern, dish and car soap won't hurt brass. Just make sure there's no ammonia or bleach in it and you're fine. Drown your brass in it for a year if it floats your boat.

It's the Lemishine that's a problem. The effects of long term and/or high concentrations of the salt and acid in Lemishine aren't well documented. We know even a small amount will leach the zinc out of the brass over time (usually overnight) causing a color shift from yellow to a pinkish color. Cartridge brass is yellow because it's 70% copper and 30% zinc, once it starts shifting towards red (copper color) as dezincification occurs, it becomes very brittle. This pink brass is unsafe to use in a firearm.

A little bit of Lemishine used for a short period works perfectly, but if you're going to let your brass soak for longer than an hour or two, leave out the Lemishine - or any other highly acidic agent, including things like bleach and vinegar.