Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 Dawson Sights ?

aandabooks

It is finally time to get my son some new sigts for his 34 Gen 3. He's been running it with factory sights and while he shoots it well I feel like the stock sights are holding him back a little. Just not a great sight picture. He wants a black back with a FO front.

Should I go with the adjustable set or the fixed set from Dawson? There is a $40 price difference and I have both adjustable and fixed on other guns.

I have fixed Dawsons on 3 Glocks and have never wished I had adjustable. When you get the fixed if they don't shoot to POA Dawson will give you a new front sight for free to correct that. Unless you're shooting all sorts of different ammo with different POI once you're zeroed you're never going to touch it. Also the fixed come in different notch widths and heights if you want something other than the .125" that the adjustable comes with. That being said the Dawson adjustable sights are very nice so certainly can't go wrong with those too.

Their fixed sights are really nice. They have fewer parts to break than the adjustable. If you want to switch loads a lot, or just don't care about the additional money, I'd go with the adjustable.

I put the Dawson fixed set on my G 34 Gen 4 and I like them but the gun shot 4" high at 25 yds. I then ordered the adjustable with a .300 front and the gun shot 2" high at 25 yds. with the rear down as far as it would go. I have now changed to a .335 front. For my use I basically like adjustable since I shoot several different bullets and loads. However, many prefer fixed and if I only shot action events I might prefer fixed also. I don't know if the 34 g4 just needs a taller front or my barrel just shoots high. I will say one thing for Dawson, both of the rears fit the dovetail perfectly with no filing just moderate tapping. Pay attention to the arrow on the bottom of the sight since one side of the sight dovetail is narrower than the other.

My 34 shoots high with the Dawson fixed set as well. With their .225" tall rear sight, I needed a .245" tall front sight to zero at 16 yards (longest shot at my indoor range). With the standard .205" tall front sight, the POI was 3" high of POA at 16 yards with 124gr

I just recently put on the fixed set for my 34 gen 4. For my loads it shoots right where I wanted it to at 20 yards, which is right at the top of the sight. I too struggled with the choice of fixed or adjustable. Coin toss decided and I am not sorry at all.