Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Silver at $15.40 this morning

A-shot

How do you store your silver without it tarnishing

Stored in the gun safe in plastic containers. Oldest batch bought around 1986 and last time I checked, no tarnish. But then its in 10 oz ingots (sort of a matte finish) that may not tarnish easily.

I worked for the Hunt brothers (Hunt Energy Corp) when they were convinced they could corner the silver market. Unlike the old man, their crazy ideas did not always pan out.

and Best Place to Buy it? (bars)

Depends on where you are located.

Here in Texas there is no sales tax on purchases over $1000. Under that they hit you with around 8.25% (depending on location). Also local shops may charge a little more per ounce and have limited selection if you want a specific batch.

For online purchases, you can sometimes get free shipping and no taxes. Art bars are usually a little more expensive.

I buy whatever is available and the cheapest. After all, silver is silver.

Yup, silver is silver. APMEX usually has the best deals on bulk bullion, though "junk silver" can be had reasonably. Pawn shops, coin/stamp shops, etc sell it. You'll rarely if ever find it at spot-price, so $1/ounce over is pretty standard. eBay of all places seems to turn up the best deals. I get APMEX emails when they are liquidating bars/rounds, and buy them then. I keep 300-500oz in my safe most of the time. I just sort of buy 10-20 ounces when I've got some spare cash and it's cheap. $13.50-15.00 that we've had over the last year has been nice, rather than buying at $20-50 before. If only I could go back to college when gold was $400 and silver was $5-8/oz...but alas, I had no money.

Edited by RippinSVT

Where do you sell it?

I've always been intrigued with silver and gold, but never quite understood how to cash out if everything goes to heck.

So I have a lockbox full and the zombie apacolypse happens, what good is it??

Edited by Chris iliff

Where do you sell it?

I've always been intrigued with silver and gold, but never quite understood how to cash out if everything goes to heck.

So I have a lockbox full and the zombie apacolypse happens, what good is it??

You don't sell it. You trade it for water, food, antibiotics, safe passage, movie passes..….. Man we gotta get your paranoid level up

...depends on how bad things get or how paranoid you get,

If things have gotten real bad, lead and silver are 'similar' metals in a gun.

If things are not that bad, you trade silver for lead.

if you are paranoid you already have bullet molds for silver.

miranda

fixed a typo

Edited by Miranda

• 2 months later...

"The zombie apocalypse is so 2008"

uh, ummm.... we avoided it?...

I happen to like silver. it is fun to make jewelery with it.

Buuut no one believes it is silver.

so If you want trading silver, get old coins.

miranda

I did, I don't know about anyone else. But the ballers are gong to have gold, silver and plenty of ammo. Check the spot price in a few years. It's too volatile, but it was $50 in 2011. It's $17 dollars now, doesn't take a genius to figure this out. You might not be making trinkets with it in the future.

Edited by A-shot

I keep thinking that the gold and such that we may have on hand will not be worth much if the s**t hits the fan. When that happens, the valuable stuff will be food, water, antibiotics, shelter, cars, gasoline, guns, and AMMO. The gold itself might end up being just lumps of metal--unless someone continues to give it transactional value.