Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best way to secure grip tape on the MP backstrap?

MilkMyDuds

I find the regular MP backstrap with Talon sandpaper grip tape the best, better than the MP9 Pro stippled backstrap.

However, I am having trouble to keep the Talon grip tape stay in place. The weak hand palm constantly pushes the tape downwards and eventually tears the tape on the backstrap after few sessions.

Does anyone know any stronger glue options work best on the sticky side of the Talon grip tape?

Thanks.

Or glue and grit? Skip the paper/tape entirely.

Yes it would be nice, but how to apply just the right amount is probably tricky. I guess using the $3 backstraps to try won't hurt. Also, what kind glue works best with grip on the plastic (backstrap)?

OK. I used my soldering iron to stipple the MP9 FS backstrap and put it on my Pro.

IMG_3685_zpsgxlfwshw.jpg

159d67be-0600-4403-b896-719dd50f7b26_zps

IMG_3681_zpsa0z6k5s4.jpg

IMG_3684_zpsckyxe7ou.jpg

Comparing the:

1. Talon grip tape on backstrap

2. MP9 Pro backstrap

3. Stippled FS backstrap

I think the grippest is still the grip tape backstrap. DIY stippled is slightly more gripier than the MP9 Pro backstrap.

Anyone else has any ideas how to stipple the backstrap to make it as gripy as the grip tape? I supposed I could use a thinner soldering iron tip, but the one I used is 0.6mm dia on the tip, already one of the thinnest. Maybe I should change the pattern?

Thanks.

Edited by MilkMyDuds

• 4 weeks later...

Talon says the tape isn't meant for the M&P backstrap. It won't stick. If you don't read the ordering information, and then email them to complain, they'll let you know what you missed! :blush:

If you look around on ebay, there are a few stippled backstraps out there.

edit, This guy seems to do really good work. You'll have to check to see if he's available, http://www.a2stippling.com/

Edited by PiratePast40

How to make it gripper? Stipple it with a soldering GUN instead of an iron. Mostly due to impatience, I used the far hotter Weller soldering gun with its much fatter head to make fewer, deeper intentions.

I love it.

Think of it this way: you created 120 grit on the backstrap. Talons tape is 80gr.

The solder gun method gets you about a 40 grit. Concealed carry against bare skin has been done. It was not a wise move.

I am not convinced stippling of any pattern has better grip than Talon sandpaper. 80 grit may be the Talon rubber version?

120 grit sandpaper I have - how does the dots/lines offered by a2stippling achieve 120 grit? Just hard to imagine.

Yes I did use a soldering "gun" from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019590A1K/ref=s9_top_hd_bw_b3V2lil_g469_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=0MR12X7ZX5R9D3Q9WDW1&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=9ee3071d-bcfa-4fbe-8996-97544b29038d&pf_rd_i=3207125011. I used the finest tip for my own stippling. The result is slightly better than the stock Pro/Core backstrap, but way less gripy than the Talon sandpaper. I also tried Dawson and various other brand sandpapers. Talon is certainly the finest with the most contact area with the palm.

Right now, the Talon sandpaper is drawing blood on my left hand palm meat pad for the past month, where in the past year with the Pro/Core backstrap there was just some thin callus there. I'd love to see more griper options than Talon sandpaper, but the stippling approach does not seem to offer the most grippest result.

Did the OP hit the tape with a heat gun?

Maybe not the same, but I bought a 10"x40" (or was it 48"?) piece of skateboard tape from Ebay for all of $2. Shipping was 2x that. It wouldn't stick worth a hoot, so I hit it with a heat gun and then pressed it into the grip. It molded right to it and appears to be sticking great. I'll know more in a few months. Its not as pretty as the Talon, but for my 9c I don't want it on the sides anyway. Just the back and front is fine. If it moves, well, I have a few lifetimes supply and it takes longer to plug the heatgun in than it does to put a new strip in place.

It is legal for USPSA Carry and Carry Optics. One just needs to pay attention to where it's legal on the grip. There's an appendix in the rules showing where it can be applied. No doubt Talon has taken that into account.

According to Talon's instructions, using a hair dryer a few times. I did that.

The grip tape on the back and front will never move. I had them on for 2 years and nothing moved. It's just the sides. Due to the weak hand palm constantly pushing them downwards, they slide after a couple weeks.

As of today, I found using super glue to glue the Talon grip tape to the sides of the backstrap works. At least, they have not moved for the past couple months.

BTW, this thread got me to thinking... I like skateboard tape so much, and I have a spare (ruined) Pro Core small backstrap that S&W kindly replaced for me. So I prepped the previously ruined backstrap and affixed skateboard tape. As nice as the enhanced backstrap is, skateboard tape is better. I retired the enhanced backstrap today.

I'd suggest what I did, which is very similar to Stealthy's method. There's a couple of threads in the 1911 forum about silicon carbide.

I ended up using a 60 grit silicon carbide (ordered from Edge Pro on Amazon) sprinkled on JB Weld. I would definitely use 60 grit again, the grip turned out perfect. Not too aggressive like a PT aggressive cheese grater, more like a finer, grippier 3M deck tape. It's lasted about a month of dry fire and matches now which is much better than the grip tapes I have tried.

• Cleaned disassembled grip with 90% isopropanol.
  • Used painter's tape to outline my grip area.
  • Cleaned the exposed grip area with IPA again.
  • Spread thin layer of standard JB Weld on the grip using an old gift card. I aimed for a layer just thick enough to not see the grip under the JB Weld.
  • Poured silicon carbide over the grip until I could not see the JB Weld layer.
  • Let the grip sit for 4 h undisturbed, then peeled off painter's tape. I used a hobby knife to clean any edges at this point which were not perfectly straight.
  • Let the grip sit for 48 h undisturbed.
  • Used a tooth brush to lightly brush off any non-adherent silicon carbide and remove silicon carbidethat had gotten into small crevices.

• 2 weeks later...

There's no sandpaper that's as grippy as my fugly but functional stippling job. Dip the iron in the plastic and make about a 3/16" oval shape... Wiggling it in an oval.

Tapping little dots into it with an iron tip doesn't make it more than grip tape-like.

This feels more like 10 or 20- grit sandpaper.

post-11460-0-39741800-1458596663_thumb.j

Edited by MemphisMechanic