Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9MM Major- My first loads

frgood

Does 3N38 produce a noticeable size fireball?

I was put together my first batch of 9mm major. It was a series of loads working from the Vihtavouri load guide up to my anticipated power factor. My first couple of round produce a surprising amount of flame from the barrel when fired. I stopped at that point thinking I had done something wrong.

Is this a typical result of 3N38 powder?

Thanks. The first time I saw it I freaked thinking I did something horribly wrong.

I have to assume that this is the nature of that specific powder. I purchased some 9 Major from Universal Ammo Co. (Frostproof) and their rounds had no fireball, and worked the comp okay. So the $64,000 questions is Do I experiment with a bunch of powders till I find one that doesn't block my vision. I see quite a few recommendations. for 3N38 So I must wonder.

Yes those were more from the poppet holes.

Aah. THAT makes sense. I have yet to chrono but I really want to know before I start making too many adjustments. Hopefully work will let up a bit

Edited by frgood

You will definitely NEED a chrono. Do not load another round without one! 9 major is very high pressure, you will really want to use a chrono.

That load was 9.4g under a 115g Montana gold jhp. I can't recall the oal. It may nor be every shot but it will be often.

Thanks. The first time I saw it I freaked thinking I did something horribly wrong.

I have to assume that this is the nature of that specific powder. I purchased some 9 Major from Universal Ammo Co. (Frostproof) and their rounds had no fireball, and worked the comp okay. So the $64,000 questions is Do I experiment with a bunch of powders till I find one that doesn't block my vision. I see quite a few recommendations. for 3N38 So I must wonder.

3N38 is more of a 38S powder. With a 124/125 bullet-You are going to just about FILL the case to make major. 3N38 is a great powder, but not worth the hassle of going very slow while reloading.

You will find-HS6, Silhouette, Autocomp, are very good powders and do not require a full case to make PF.

Cool, I've got some Autocomp on my shelf. I'll try a batch of that next. I haven't looked up the number yet, But can I expect a more complete burn with less flame?

Ah, I think a penny is starting to drop. Is Autocomp a slightly faster powder? With the faster powder I can get more complete burn in my gun and still have pressures for my comp.

My current gun is a CKArms Thunder ( however I am considering swapping it out for a Czechmate.- Long story that I may post later).

What you will get is the ability to "adjust" the amount of powder to work the comp better. With 3N38--Your at the limit. If your gun has no popple holes and is a 5 inch, you will be able to try 115, 121, 124. In other words, your have the ability to try different combinations until you find the right one for you and the gun.

Interesting, I load 9.3gr 3N38 under a 115JHP with 3 pop holes (9 major) and have never observed any flash outdoors. I think atmospheric conditions definitely come into play. As others have stated, one must load very slow as to not spill powder while loading with that combo.

Interesting, I load 9.3gr 3N38 under a 115JHP with 3 pop holes (9 major) and have never observed any flash outdoors. I think atmospheric conditions definitely come into play. As others have stated, one must load very slow as to not spill powder while loading with that combo.

Can you point me in the best direction or explain the concern with spillover? Does it have something to do with powder wedged between the bullet and the cartridge? Perhaps the flash is resulting from late burning powder caught in this fashion?

btw the way I was indoors when I noticed the bright flash. I just haven't had time to take the drive to the outdoor range, yet.

Edited by frgood

Flashes are not always visible outside. They generally show up indoors or dim conditions outside.

Not every shot is a fireball as they are typically caused by an accumulation of unburned powder in the comp. every few rounds or so it ignites

You will NEED a chrono. Do not load another round without one! 9 major is very high pressure

+1. You should stop trying to load 9mm major, and load some +P's - around

145 or so PF.

Make sure you're not getting any bullet setback - and check the velocity.

Work up to PF 165+ slowly, with a chrono. :cheers:

I did not state myself well. Let me clarify my original post.

I haven't had a moment to drive to the outdoor range with my chrono. I am not running anymore of the test until I get there. In the meantime, I'm asking about the causes of flash when firing.

What are you loading on? 3N38 is a great powder for 38s but in 9mm it can be a pain to load. WAC, AA7, and HS-6 and much better suited to 9mm.

9 mm.

Based On this conversation. I am now seriously reconsidering and am leaning towards WAC (as it is on currently on my shelf).

Can you point me in the best direction or explain the concern with spillover? Does it have something to do with powder wedged between the bullet and the cartridge? Perhaps the flash is resulting from late burning powder caught in this fashion?

btw the way I was indoors when I noticed the bright flash. I just haven't had time to take the drive to the outdoor range, yet.

The concern with spilling powder as you're loading is that you get inconsistent Velocities. VV powders can be a pain to load but they are incredibly clean, consistent and temp stable. Worth it.