Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which 9mm mags for ss?

twister

Hello: The plastic Tripp base pads can be made to work as well as the Metalform plastic base pads. They will sit almost flush with the magwell. The aluminum Tripp base pads can be made to fit also but it is easier to get the Dawson ones. For me the gap loads just as fast as the no gap. Going to try the Dawson IPSC aluminum magwell next. It has no plastic insert and is a little lighter than the ICE aluminum. Thanks, Eric

thanks

Hello: The plastic Tripp base pads can be made to work as well as the Metalform plastic base pads. They will sit almost flush with the magwell. The aluminum Tripp base pads can be made to fit also but it is easier to get the Dawson ones. For me the gap loads just as fast as the no gap. Going to try the Dawson IPSC aluminum magwell next. It has no plastic insert and is a little lighter than the ICE aluminum. Thanks, Eric

Eric,

have you tried the Dawson IPSC magwell yet? I'm thinking of doing same thing on my current 1911 project, please let me know how it is compare to the regular Ice magwell. Thanks

Hello: I have the Dawson IPSC magwell on my other 9mm 1911 Springfield. I can load it just as fast as the Dawson ICE. The advantage with the IPSC is you can use stock base pads on the Tripp and Metalform Elite 45 mags. You can also use the Dawson Tactical base pads on the 9mm mags as well so they will fit the IPSC box. I like the Dawson base pads a lot. They can take a beating on gravel, sand, grass and on concrete. They are also easily removed when the mags get dirty. I would get the Dawson IPSC with aluminum mainspring housing for a 9mm. I would check the weight of your gun to see if you can use the steel mainspring housing on your 40 or 45. I am liking my 9mm Tripp mags and will do more testing on my Dawson 9mm mags soon. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Also own a DW PM9. Love the gun but she is fussy.

Had to send the Tripp mags back.

On slide lock reloads with a full mag, the top round jumped out and would jam the gun.

Tried Wilson and Dawson mags. with Dawson coming out a seemingly better mag for this particular gun.

One note that has been mentioned before. Customer service at Tripp is great. I really liked the mags, they just wouldn't run in my gun.