Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide stops

lucas

If all your slide stops are for 1911s they will all function the same as for stopping the slide from running off the end of your gun. Pin diameter should be .200" since the hole is .200". In my opinion the pin should fit the hole and not wallow around in it.

Trial and error will determine which ones will will lock the slide back after the last round.

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone tell me what the best method is to remove material from the pin? I purchased a new slide stop and it will not go through the hole on my 2011 sti frame, any help would be appreciated, I don't want to ruin it . Thanks Kevin

I always assumed slide stops were caliber specific, evidently not. I recently received my 45 2011 converted to 9mm pistol. I noticed the original slide stop was not changed. I called my gun smith and was told it should work none the less ,basically. Out of 7 ,38 super tubes I did get 4 mags with 9mm guts to lock back the slide, which I prefer. No need to purchase a 9/38 slide stop.

I then asked about my original question at the top of this thread. I was told the difference between a 40 vs 45 slide stop ,is the tab, for lack of a better word, sticks further out with the 40.

I did purchase 9mm/38 specific, it won't go in the frame i figured i would start sanding and try to make it even

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

The slide stop pin will not go in the frame only or with the barrel and link in place? Can you measure the diameter of the pin?

If you haven't, don't sand or file on the pin.

Ok so end of pin measures .200 about half way down measures .1995 the actual hole in frame is harder to measure about .1975 but my caliper doesn't fit that well the pic above shows how far it will go in

It is a standard long wide sti frame as pictured. But i did have the same problem when installing trigger action components. The hammer pin to frame was to big so i had to file the pin down to fit [which I really didnt want to do

Just for the hell of it, try inserting the pin through the right side hole. If it fits but doesn't go through the left hole it's a sure bet that the holes were not drilled straight in line with each other. If the pin won't go in the right side you can ream, not drill, the right side hole. If you ream, start the reamed through the left hole and ream the right side. Doing so will keep the holes aligned.

Even if you decide not to ream the right side and go with a smaller diameter slide stop, try my first suggestion to determine if the holes were drilled in alignment with each other.

I traded a glock for an almost complete 2011 he had an extra slide stop so he installed it i purchased a new one to replace it so i could give it back. In retrospect i should just give him the new one and be done.