Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie to open so many questions

joshxdm9

I have recently picked up an open gun and looking for some direction on where to start working up a load for it. I would like to start with a minor load for steel challange and 3gun mainly because loading 9mm major just freaks me out. The gun is a glock 17 frame with lone wolf 34 barrel and slide.

My 9mm loads have been 124gr. Bayou and recently started loading 147 plated round nose for an edge 9mm. The powders I have availible are titegroup and n320. The biggest question I have is bullet weight. Should I stick with 147's or drop to a 115gr. Just wondering for loading minor is more powder lighter bullet or less powder heavier bullet going to work better with the comp?

Any information and education will be greatly appreciated. If you have a pet load that you would care to share that would be great too.

Thanks

What compensator are you using? You will want light bullets. 115 or lighter if you are using for steel. You will also want a slower powder for gas to work the comp. If you like the VV go 3n38 or even 105 for minor. Hs6 is great, cheaper, but a bit dirty.

My advice, get hs6 and 115g bullets. Then if you decide to go major you can. 8.5g makes major in MY gun loaded LONG. Glock mags limit that a bit. Start with whatever the book says for hs6 and a 115. Load as long as your barrel and mags will allow. Then do a load latter. Go from manual data and go up .2g each load 10 or each. Chrono 5, shoot 5. You will know a sweet spot then you find it. Can you post a pic? We always LOVE seeing open candy!

I run a Glock 17 with a lone wolf barrel and run 9mm major with HS6 and 115's. very flat shooting. Still working on a 9mm minor load that works the comp... In general on an open gun the best feel for me is slow powder and light bullets

So just picked up some 115 jacketed hollow point bullets and a pound of 3n38. I will be running the carver 3 port comp for minor loads. Anyone have a pet 115gr load with 3n38?

You've got the recipe for what I would argue is the best possible Open load, find a good OAL for your barrel and load it! The charge weight is up to you, the higher you go, the higher the PF and there's nothing stopping you from making major with that combo. If your OAL is on the short side you might make major before you hit 9gr.

7gr will probably land you in the 140pf range, so pick a charge and get started!

A 9 minor load that works for me is 4.4gr N320 and a 124gr Montana Gold JHP. I try to avoid lead because it really messes with the comp. Another consideration for a Glock is... that if you make all the mods to lighten then trigger pull, it will also light the firing pin strike. So you might want to invest in a bunch of Fed 100 small pistol primers (they're the lightest out there).

As far as 9 major loads go, especially out of a Glock, i'd be careful if the gun and barrel weren't built especially for major. You might try creeping up your loads to see if they overly-bulge. If they do, i'd keep the gun for minor.

• 2 months later...

Ok so I finally worked up some minor loads and did some testing today.. this is what I loaded up all with 115gr. Jhp at 1.150

7.3gr 3n38

6.8gr HS6

4.4gr n320

All ran great with no issues cycling or ejecting. BUT. after I was finishing up noticed something in the chamber that looked to me like un burnt powder. From the 3 powders I shot looks like it's the 3n38 I am on the low end at 7.3gr it chrono very inconsistent from lowest being 1070fps to 1218fps and all over in between.

The HS6 metered very consistent at around 1120fps but felt a bit more snappy that the 3n38. So will try to bump it up to 7gr and see if that helps.

The n320 ran fine at 4.4gr but was very sluggish.

Anyway here is a pic let me know what you open guys with some experience think

post-41841-0-66698600-1458503867_thumb.j

Dirt and inconsistency are par for the course for loads that are too light. I don't know about the 3n38 but HS6 is nasty when not ran really hot

So do you think that adding more or running hotter the powder will all burn off?? I guess my thought was if I can't get 7.3gr to completely burn how does adding more help??

Dirt and inconsistency are par for the course for loads that are too light. I don't know about the 3n38 but HS6 is nasty when not ran really hot

So do you think that adding more or running hotter the powder will all burn off?? I guess my thought was if I can't get 7.3gr to completely burn how does adding more help??

For a minor load I would probably not use HS6. It burns pretty clean at around 9 grains in major loads. I think only adding a little and wanting to stay in minor with it will make little difference in unburned powder residue.

Ok so when I shot the other day by the looks of the crud in the barrel it looked like un burned 3n38 powder. So I loaded some more 115gr hp with 7gr of hs6 and at a lower oal @ 1.135

To my suprise after shooting 20 rds had the same gold flake looking crap in my barrel. I was VERY happy with the chrono results very consistent at around 1185-1220 fps VERY accurate and felt GREAT!! pretty loud but shot very flat.

Back to the drawing board I guess??

The gun will run my n320 minor loads just fine but doesn't work the comp very much at all so my thought is WHAT THE POINT.. Would really like to stick with the slower powder and lighter bullet to work the comp better without shooting major..

Edited by joshxdm9