Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 to 1050...

I have asked this question in the past on other forums...

Does anyone this that upgrading from a 650 to a 1050 is a smart move? I am very comfortable with my 650 and how it works. Not so much with a 1050.

I shoot 9mm/38super/45acp/223/300 blkout

So its a pretty large additional investment to get the 1050 up and running as well as set to process brass.

My other issue is that I have a lot of 650 stuff that I really do not care to separate out... and at the same time, lose much money on. The press is literally new...

Anyway, looking for some direction!

I went from a 650 to 1050 a couple months back. I really like priming on the downstroke and swaging features. I wasn't disappointed in my 650 but I do feel the 1050 is less effort for the operator--at least until the mark 7 is added. The caliber conversion cost is only drawback

I can see.

I dont have a set round count that I load a year. Since I will start loading 300 blackout, and because I get roughly 75K 223/556 empties per year to sell... for swag and processing purposes, I thought it made sense. Currently, I just clean and sell, I feel like I can sell processed/300 blackout brass for more cash and the press would pay for itself.

The one huge advantage the 1050 had was that it could swage on press.

The swage it makes this possible with the 650 now I think output per hour is very close between the two

(It will void Dillon's warranty and it doesn't support the case from the inside)

http://swageit.com/swage-it-s650-combo/

How would Dillon even know this was installed... looks like it is pretty easy to put on and take off? Are their mods that you need to do to the press... if so, I get that. By just adding and removing a non dillon part...eh, dont see how they would know.

I dont have a set round count that I load a year. Since I will start loading 300 blackout, and because I get roughly 75K 223/556 empties per year to sell... for swag and processing purposes, I thought it made sense. Currently, I just clean and sell, I feel like I can sell processed/300 blackout brass for more cash and the press would pay for itself.

If that's the case I would buy the ammobot while your at it sit back and drink beers while you watch the machine make you money.

http://www.ammobot.us/collections/ammobot-machines/products/ammobot-mk1-auto-drive

If that's the case I would buy the ammobot while your at it sit back and drink beers while you watch the machine make you money.

http://www.ammobot.us/collections/ammobot-machines/products/ammobot-mk1-auto-drive

You know, I had a 1050 with Ponsness warren drive and sold it all because i got sick of trying to figure it out. I was going to just get the Forch Drive, but bought something else (a 1911) instead. I have seen this ammobot and the MK7... just a little skeptical of them actually working... and me "being able to sit back".

If that's the case I would buy the ammobot while your at it sit back and drink beers while you watch the machine make you money.http://www.ammobot.us/collections/ammobot-machines/products/ammobot-mk1-auto-drive

You know, I had a 1050 with Ponsness warren drive and sold it all because i got sick of trying to figure it out. I was going to just get the Forch Drive, but bought something else (a 1911) instead. I have seen this ammobot and the MK7... just a little skeptical of them actually working... and me "being able to sit back".

I've never actually used it but from what I've seen I would use it to process brass but not actually load it. When your reloading Ammo IMHO you need to be a able to "feel" if something goes wrong. If something goes wrong while processing brass what's the worst that can happen you crush one piece of brass Edited by Smeeg

If that's the case I would buy the ammobot while your at it sit back and drink beers while you watch the machine make you money.http://www.ammobot.us/collections/ammobot-machines/products/ammobot-mk1-auto-drive

I've never actually used it but from what I've seen I would use it to process brass but not actually load it. When your reloading Ammo IMHO you need to be a able to "feel" if something goes wrong. If something goes wrong while processing brass what's the worst that can happen you crush one piece of brass

That's a solid point... Looks like it's time to sell some Dillon stuff and buy some other Dillon stuff:)

From my research if you do 500-1k of one caliber than another the 1050 isn't for you it's more of a 2k+ machine before switching calibers

If you don't have a Frankford Arsenal vibra prime or Dillion rf100 yet I'd also recommend that this will shave a lot of time of your reloading (I have the vibra prime and love it)

If you decide to sell the 650 I'm interstead in the .223 stuff

I feel like I can sell processed/300 blackout brass for more cash and the press would pay for itself.

Good luck, the market is in the crapper. Ive got ~70k pieces of 556 brass sitting because its not worth my time for the measly money I would make. Guys are selling converted 300blk for ~100 per thousand for mixed. ~130 for all LC brass is also about the going rate right now. I end up with about 4 hours total work into each 1000(pre clean tumble, process, post clean tumble, bag up, ship out) and from the other guys I talk to that do it 3-4 hours per thousand is about average.

Ive been selling for 2 years now and still havent broken even on my initial investment from a pure 300blk perspective. I sell more processed 556 brass than 300blk brass in the past year.

Edited by rjacobs

I feel like I can sell processed/300 blackout brass for more cash and the press would pay for itself.

Good luck, the market is in the crapper. Ive got ~70k pieces of 556 brass sitting because its not worth my time for the measly money I would make. Guys are selling converted 300blk for ~100 per thousand for mixed. ~130 for all LC brass is also about the going rate right now. I end up with about 4 hours total work into each 1000(pre clean tumble, process, post clean tumble, bag up, ship out) and from the other guys I talk to that do it 3-4 hours per thousand is about average.

Ive been selling for 2 years now and still havent broken even on my initial investment from a pure 300blk perspective. I sell more processed 556 brass than 300blk brass in the past year.

Edited by Smeeg

Yeah brass is down... esp 223/556. I was selling uncleaned 223/556 brass for 45-50 bucks per 1K. I was also selling 223/556 for $120 per K after sandy hook. I am pretty sure its like the stock market, up and down. Whatever the market says its worth (at least locally), is what I will sell it for. I am in a little different boat than most when it comes to brass. I am sure I am not paying nearly what most are for brass... I have a few in's with local law enforcement ranges. I pick it all up once a year at a very discounted price.

With that said, if guys are selling 300 Blackout at 100 per 1K... its a no-brainer, Ill process all my brass to 300 and sell it off as needed.

Anyway, I think I am convinced to go to the 1050... I also now need to sell the 650 stuff.

**Since my post count got reset from like 500+ to zero, over some nonsense (buyer backed out of a deal and a mod decided that I was in the classifieds to much vs the forum), I am still a few posts away from being able to list it in the market.

Ill throw it on here sooner than later.

As far as the 223 stuff... would rather try to sell it all together. If I do not sell the press, I still will need the 223 stuff

I hate swaging brass. A lot. For me getting a 1050 was a relief for me.

Yes, I hate swaging that much!

I still have my two 650s, and I'm intimately familiar with them. I've been loading on the one since the mid 90s. Going to the 1050 was different. But not too different if you have a decent mechanical mind. The big difference, of course is the priming system. It takes a little bit to figure it out and learn how it works. Once you do that, you won't regret one moment having your 1050.

Faced the same decision last month. I have 2 650 with multiple heads. I shoot primarily 9 1nd 40. I know the 650 well and decided to add the Mr. Bullet Feeder. I'm very happy with my decision. The Lifetime warranty and sevice has been miraculous. Now I'm thinking about an ultrasonic cleaner!

I went down this path. Had a 650 and a lot of caliber conversions that I used for years. Bought a 1050. It is a much better press. then a second one for the other primer size. Caliber conversion takes a little bit longer, but the only real downside is the conversion parts price. Then I got one with Forcht rotary conversion. This is really a slick arrangement and I basically don't load any other way for stuff that I am making in quantity. You can definitely "sit back" In fact I usually let it run while I am doing something else but listening to it carefully. I probably now have about 30k rounds on mine. The only issues you will have relate to the press itself rather than the conversion (For example the casefeeders are not perfectly reliable, but one that was would cost 3-5k)

The 650 somehow never seems to get set back up and used

• 2 weeks later...

I already had a XL650 set up primarily for 9mm, then I started loading ,223 for 3 Gun and the 650/Superswage combo got old real quick. Bought a 1050, sized and trimmed on the 650 then loaded on the 1050. Last season, I changed the entire routine. I completely prep .223 at the beginning of the year on the 1050, them load on the 650. The 1050 is them converted to load 9mm the rest of the year. Provides relief for those military crimp 9mm cases that are all too common these days.

That is a very valid point. Unless you can get the brass extremely cheap or free, the time it takes to process is going to work out netting you a few bucks an hour. You'd be better off getting a part time job at McDonald's. . :roflol: