Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heinie Sight Users ?

lbritt

but on actually calling your shot and knowing if it is in the A zone or on steel is harder than with a plain black.

Why is that??

To expand on what I said a little earlier: Shooting plain black sights on close targets, or on 18 x 24 rectangles in a steel match, as soon as the I can see the front sight superimposed on the A-zone or the steel I hit the trigger. At the distances involved, I know that it doesn't matter whether the front sight is a little high, low, left, or right --- the hits will be there, as long as I see the front sight in the A-zone. That works pretty much the same with a fiber-optic --- see red in the A-zone, pull trigger, hit A-zone. It's when I'm making the transition to a partial or a small plate or a 25 yard target that there's a difference. To make those shots, I need the relationship of the sights to be closer to perfect alignment --- and that red dot, who's brightness was so helpful on the close stuff, now distracts me from seeing the relationship between the rear notch and the front blade in the shortest amount of time.

To put it another way: In this sport there are so many transitions from close targets to no-shoot covered partials to full size poppers at ten yards to plates at twenty that anything that slows down the shifting of the visual gears becomes a detriment to the shooting. Can I make those shots with a fiber optic? Sure --- but I can make them faster with plain black sights.

I also find that choosing the right colored lenses in my shooting glasses can make a big difference. On bright days, I need darker glasses to keep from squinting. On darker days, I need to wear clear to keep from straining to see the sights.....

HTH,

Nik - I agree with your thinking.

Lone Wolf just started selling a serrated front sight by Aero-tek that's .090 wide. It's a nice sight. I put some red paint on it and you can blast close targets by just seeing "red" - but the paint is not bright enough to distract me on steel/distant targets. I only put a very light coat of paint on it and the serrations are still very defined.

I've had problems with Heinies loosening up in the dovetail. If that happends, you need to peen them or drill and tap a set screw (they should come with set screws in the first place - IMO). The rear notch is also too narrow for my taste, but you can open it up or buy them "race cut" from CGR.

I've had problems with Heinies loosening up in the dovetail.  If that happends, you need to peen them or drill and tap a set screw (they should come with set screws in the first place - IMO). 

The Heinie Slant Pro sights I saw had a set screw on them. Look on page 299 of Brownells Catolog #57.

but on actually calling your shot and knowing if it is in the A zone or on steel is harder than with a plain black.

Why is that??

To expand on what I said a little earlier: Shooting plain black sights on close targets, or on 18 x 24 rectangles in a steel match, as soon as the I can see the front sight superimposed on the A-zone or the steel I hit the trigger. At the distances involved, I know that it doesn't matter whether the front sight is a little high, low, left, or right --- the hits will be there, as long as I see the front sight in the A-zone. That works pretty much the same with a fiber-optic --- see red in the A-zone, pull trigger, hit A-zone. It's when I'm making the transition to a partial or a small plate or a 25 yard target that there's a difference. To make those shots, I need the relationship of the sights to be closer to perfect alignment --- and that red dot, who's brightness was so helpful on the close stuff, now distracts me from seeing the relationship between the rear notch and the front blade in the shortest amount of time.

To put it another way: In this sport there are so many transitions from close targets to no-shoot covered partials to full size poppers at ten yards to plates at twenty that anything that slows down the shifting of the visual gears becomes a detriment to the shooting. Can I make those shots with a fiber optic? Sure --- but I can make them faster with plain black sights.

I also find that choosing the right colored lenses in my shooting glasses can make a big difference. On bright days, I need darker glasses to keep from squinting. On darker days, I need to wear clear to keep from straining to see the sights.....

HTH,

green fiber optic, its bright enough to help on the close fast ones, but its not too much when it comes down to shooting precise.

50 yard A zone hits dont seem to be a problem when shooting for fun during practice...cant really speak of that in the match as i was shooting red the last time i shot a 50 yard stage.

enough FO drift, to aswer question about heine sights, go slant pro..no tritium.

BTW dawson makes an awesome set of adjustable glock sights. ;)

I like the black front sight for reasons Nick laid out. I did however, get my butt handed to me on a dueling tree the other day. It was painted black and I kept losing my sights on it. After a few runs the paint was shot off enough I could see the contrast I did okay, but it did get me thinking that maybe an insert of some kind could be helpful.

Every time I put a FO sight on I have some measure of trouble on longer shots though. Something fun to experiment with I guess.

Ted

• 1 year later...

I've got two sets from Custom Glock Racing. The regular Heinie slant pro rear and dawson FO front, and the Race Cut Heinie slant pro rear with dawson FO front. The race cut version in my opinion is way better, beats the snot out of the regular one, which has been relegated to my parts bin. I would however like to compare the warren/sevigny competition set to the heinie race cut.

Oh and i've had no problems with a zero after installing said sights.

• 2 weeks later...

Used to use the Heinies and a Dawson FO. Switched to the WTS sights. Plain black front, widened rear with no serrations. Once I dropped the FO my shooting improved for the very reasons Nik and otehrs mentioned.