Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heinie Sight Users ?

lbritt

I am looking at putting a rear Heinie Sight on my G17. Looking through Brownells I noticed there are two different sights for Glocks. One is the Slant Pro Sight and the other is the low profile Glock Sight which does not appear to be slanted. The Slant Pro Sight is sold as a set only while the low profile Glock Sight can be purchased separately (rear only). Any advise on which one would work best on the G17? Which is your favorite? There will be a Dawson Fiber Optic on the front end.

Thanks for any info........

britt

I have the Glock specific rear on a 17 and a 34, one with a Dawson front, and the other with the Heinie front. I like this sight because of the serrations, angle, and the depth of the notch. It also lengthens the sight radius a little to the rear of the slide.

I have and like the Slant Pro a little better but there's not much difference. Also Dawson sells the Heinie / Dawson FO combo for ~ $65+S&H. When I bought mine they didn't have it listed on their Web Site but they do have it.

Slant Pro is the way to go.

I really like the (non-slant pro) Streight Eight night sights on my IDPA gun --- so much so at this point, that were I starting over, I'd use 'em in place of the Bo-mars on most of my guns. Wanna educate me as to why I should like the slant pro version? Specifics?

The "Sight for Glock" is what Dawson sells with their FS in the set, if I'm not mistaken.

I just spoke with Dan at Dawson Precision. They sell the Heinie/Dawson F/O for Glock Pistols as a combo for $65.00. He stated that the Heinie is the new Slant Pro version and that they quit offering the "Sight For Glock" version with the combo. I'll know for sure in a few days when my order arrives.

Thanks to everyone for your responses and advise.

Britt

I am thinking that the last time I saw the "sights for glock" on a gun, that they were undersized?

Nik, on the slant vs. non-slant...my thinking is that you get a cleaner picture due to the way the light hits/reflects.

I use both. The old style flat "Sight for Glock" in my sons Glock 22's and the Slant Pro in my production G17 and my carry G36. When going in autopilot through a stage I can't see any difference but when shooting groups I kinda' like the flat older one better. :huh::blink:

Ok, is the stock SlantPro higher than the regular one?

The Straight Eights are the night sight version of the Slant Pro, I think. I have them on a 27 but don't have the other guns anymore, so I can't measure.

And doesn't CGR just widen the notch?

Im still trying to decide whether I like the fiber optic better than the standard black. I like the fact that you can pick up the fiber optic so easy because of the brightness, but on actually calling your shot and knowing if it is in the A zone or on steel is harder than with a plain black.

Im still trying to decide whether I like the fiber optic better than the standard black. I like the fact that you can pick up the fiber optic so easy because of the brightness, but on actually calling your shot and knowing if it is in the A zone or on steel is harder than with a plain black.

Since you're not sure, just take comfort in the fact that you can always blacken the FO out if you don't want it. Coming from an all-black post, the sight pic normally isn't as pretty when you dab it with color. ;)

In my experience, if I want to call the shot I can do that much easier with black on black sights. With a fiber-optic, I tend to see red on the target, and pull the trigger without seeing the alignment of the front and rear sights. That's kinda cool on close, wide-open targets --- but gets a little harder on the partials.......

The key for me is to make a small bulb on the back end of the FO rod, submerge it into the hole in the rear of the sight, and melt it on the front to tighten it. I end up with a very small diameter bright red dot that is not blurry or wide on the target, I see this the same on distance targets as I do the black on black sights. I use a .90 front sight with a .30 FO rod.

lbritt,

What Nik described is basically it. On close open targets, it's nice, but calling your shots on partials or farther targets is a lot harder. All you see is a big red dot on a target instead of seeing the front and rear sight relationship on the target and knowing and being able to call the shot in the A zone or plate.

formeister,

Where do you get the smaller diameter FO to put in? Also, does anyone know the diameter of Dawson's FO? I have a smaller (Micro dot, I believe is the name) FO on my STI, and it seems a lot easier to track and not as distracting.

But I don't think anyone makes the Micro Dot sight for Glocks.