Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load recipes using clays powder for 40cal

Dirtchevy841

Yeah. I just heard a lot of people were using clays or talking about clays in 40 cal. Just wanted to see what they were loading at. Clays got 45 I'll never use anything else. Now for 40 I just starting to reload for it and n320 keeps coming up.

I must be one of the wasteful ones, I use Clays with 165 and 180 grain Blue Bullets for all my 3 gun minor loads. I would NOT use it to make major in .40 as was mentioned before.

In my .45, Clays is the preferred followed by WST and 700X. I would use more 800X, but it meters as well as oatmeal in quicksand.......

• 2 weeks later...

I must be one of the wasteful ones, I use Clays with 165 and 180 grain Blue Bullets for all my 3 gun minor loads. I would NOT use it to make major in .40 as was mentioned before.

In my .45, Clays is the preferred followed by WST and 700X. I would use more 800X, but it meters as well as oatmeal in quicksand.......

Yep. Just picked up 12llbs of n320. Have a bunch of clays now laying around to bad nobody around me to sell it to. Everybody who wants it out of state.

Who the hell is going to waste clays on 40, save it for your 45 or trade it for 2 lbs of something else, it's been hard to come by for quite some time

I waste Clays on 40 minor and major, don't hate on it till you try it.

i never said i hate on it, i just think there are other 40 powders that equal it, but nothing does in 45

Who the hell is going to waste clays on 40, save it for your 45 or trade it for 2 lbs of something else, it's been hard to come by for quite some time

I waste Clays on 40 minor and major, don't hate on it till you try it.

i never said i hate on it, i just think there are other 40 powders that equal it, but nothing does in 45
While that may be true, i will load my Clays in whatever cartridge i want, thank you :)

Ok so I have clays too that I wanted to load in 40 major with a 180 coated bullet in a TS and my oal is 1.135. Is this a bad idea ?

I also have been loading n320 and its fine but wanted something a bit less snappy.

I have these powders available and which order would y'all use them.

N320, win231, wst, clays and tight group.

Ok so I have clays too that I wanted to load in 40 major with a 180 coated bullet in a TS and my oal is 1.135. Is this a bad idea ?

I also have been loading n320 and its fine but wanted something a bit less snappy.

Yea

General thought process is that you need to be able to load 1.180 , 1.200 is better and 1.220 is better yet

Then there is still possible concerns with pressure spikes.

guys have had problems in the past that's why many have gone to WST, 320 ETC/

Titegroup is a great powder for the 40 at shorter lengths. Its hot burning and some say snappy

but a lot of us shot it for a long time

I still do with jacketed bullets

172 PF is still 172PF and during a COF I don't notice whether the gun is pushing or snapping

I do notice it in practice though

IMO n320 is the best powder you have for major at any length.

Clays can be dangerous for major, but the best for 40 minor.

All repeated stuff.

I want some good recipes for WST at Glock length.