Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22 Cal Semi Auto Pistol Recomendation

pat701

I have been giving some thought about picking up a 22 cal semi auto pistol for practicing at the range. I am trying to improve my auto pistol trigger control along with sight alinement. I have been considering three pistol all at under $400. I would like to get at least a 6" barrel on the pistol. The three pistols i am looking at are.

Browning - BuckMark

Beretta - Neos

Sig - Trailsides

Your recommendations will help me out alot. Thank You in advance. I will be also posting this question on other boards.

You didn't mention S&W 22S or 22A, and those are available in a 5.5 and a 7 inch barrel. I like mine, and I have a lot of rounds through it. Any variation of this pistol will be under the price.

Another great option if you shoot a 1911 already is a .22lr conversion kit from Kimber, Marvel, Ciener, etc. If you use a CZ, then they have one for their pistols too. You can also get them for Glocks, Berettas, and others. These are all under the price, and give you practice with your real trigger and grip.

The Buckmark and Sig both have really good reputations among hunter, plinkers, and informal target shooters. I have no experience with the Neos.

Ruger Mark 2 and 3 including 22/45 pistols are accurate and reliable guns too, but they differ in profile from the previously mentioned models consderably.

Just some ideas FWIW.

I've been shooting the Ruger Mark II Government Model for a couple of years. Great gun when you outfit it with Hogue grips. Accurate as hell. About 46 ounces. Though this model, I hear, is out of production, Ruger is still producing Mark IIs with bull barrels or slabside barrels at about the same weight and barrel length (6-7/8"). I'm actually currently conducting a search for another used Mark II Gov' Model I like 'em so much. B)

I haven't heard anything good about the Neos; The Trailside is awfully light in weight; the Buckmark is as popular in my shooting crowd as the Ruger, but the Ruger usually gets the performance raves. ;)

Ive had a Browning Buckmark for the last 10 years. I love the way it shoots. It has a decent trigger, good click sights, and the 5 1/2" barrel shoots better than i can. Not a whole lot of aftermarket stuff that i have found; i replaced the front sight w/ a fiber optic from HiViz. If i could get a trigger job done on it, it would be perfect. It is always on my side whenever i go out bird hunting.

I have a Sig Trailside, and I liked it quite well until I shot a Ruger .22 (not sure exactly what model it was, it was a range gun). I bought it for more or less the same purpose you did, and while I'm not unhappy with it, I'm not thrilled either.

If I were making that choice again, I wouldn't choose any of the guns on your list. I would either look at the Ruger if I needed to stay in your price range, or my first choice would be to get either a .22 Conversion Kit for my 1911, or just buy the Kimber Rimfire Target .22 outright (they look to run about $600, though, so that's a couple hundred bucks out of your price range).

I shot the Kimber .22 recently, and I really liked it a lot. Don't know what you're shooting in competition, but the Kimber is much closer to the weight and feel of most competition guns. To me, it would be well worth the extra dough if you can swing it.

Scott

My suggestions would be pick up a frame and get a marvel unit..that way you can use the same grip style, same holster, etc..the unit is accurate and reliable..

otherwise I would look at a Smith 41

I Agree with EERW ...

on both counts... if you are wanting to practice what you preach

then try to find another frame and 22 upper..

or use your frame....

only speaking from doing the same....

I love my Model 41 Smith.. but also in saying I love to shoot my

kimber 22 upper.. and I have a Walther P22 on layaway for my daughter..

as she love to go out and shoot with me...

there are MANY options out there but you are doing one of the best things

by asking around.. but the final choice is yours...

Enjoy what ever you get...

SuperComp9 `;}~

Anything but a Sig Trailside. The Trailside is such an ugly wart on Sig's reputation it stunning that they're still victimizing the public with it.

Why I hate the Trailside

==================================================

There are some deals to be had on Ruger MkI's and MkII's. If you buy a Ruger, make sure to get the NEW magazines with the chintzy plastic basepads and followers. The new mags rock. They made my 90% reliable MkI into a lead hosing machine. Twice as easy to load too. :)

On the used gun circuit the High standard rimfires are greats firearms. I'm 45 and in my second year of college with one of my first college loans I bought a High Standard. The triggers are fantastic. Much better than the Browning or the Ruger. The only other 22 at the time that would touch them was the Smith 41, but you are not buying one of those for $400. Barring the Smith or a nice High Stand the third tier for me would be the Browning or the Ruger - respectable autos that will allow great work on trigger control.

That first 22 and lots and lots of bricks on the range helped develop trigger control that is very much lacking in new shooters that start off with centerfire handguns. Elmer Keith was my hero then and I still respect his writings. I shot bulleyes with that gun as well as metallic silhouettes and even hunted squirrels with it. Then graduated to a .357 for deer and finally a 44 for deer. When I go to IDPA shoots I do OK - I can actually hit what I aim at once in a while. Last match dropped 5 points total in the match. Yes, I can learn to speed up some, but my slow time and accuracy still put me in the top of the shooters at the match.

Like the idea of the 22 conversion for your competition gun though. Sounds like best of all worlds.

I am biased as I own a Ruger Mark II Target. It is accurate and reliable. My second choice would be the Buck Mark in a target configuration. I don't like the Neos, trigger sucks. The newer Smith's are not for me either. Ruger or Buckmark, either will be a winner. Shoot both and take the one that is most confortable. TXAG

The major difference between the ruger mk2 and buckmark is the grip angle and how they feel. Hold both at a gunshop and one will feel and point much better for you; buy that one.

I say this having owned a ruger mk2 in the past and currently have had a basic buckmark for the last 5 years. Both are more accurate than I can consistently hold and the adjustable sights work fine (I recall having to locktite a pin in the ruger MK2 sight that kept wanting to "walk" out). If you disassemble the Mk2 for cleaning very much, the grip won't lock into the reciever as tight. I kept shooting mine although it could probably be tightened up with judicious peening somewhere.

1911users advice is great. When I bought my .22, I had a Colt, Browning, Ruger, and Smith & Wesson all out on the counter at the same time, and I picked the one that felt the most natural in my hand, and most like my other guns. You will also be able to raise the gun and look at the sights to see which gun is the most natural to aim for you.

I agree w/ foemeister, eerw & supercomp9:

"Another great option if you shoot a 1911 already is a .22lr conversion kit from Kimber, Marvel, Ciener, etc. If you use a CZ, then they have one for their pistols too. You can also get them for Glocks, Berettas, and others. These are all under the price, and give you practice with your real trigger and grip."

The CZ conversion unit is exceptionally good & known for outstanding accuracy. If you normally shoot a 1911, the Marvel unit is also known for its accuracy.

Of the .22s you listed, I would go with the Buckmark & avoid the trailside. Regards,

D.C. Johnson

www.shootersparadise.com

I have owned and shot a ruger,buckmark,and neo. Of those three I liked the neo best and this opinion is shared by my daughter.

Now.. with that being said I recently picked up a .22 upper by Kimber for my Kimber 1911 to practice a little cheaper. I was amazed at its fit, function, and accuracy. So impressed that I sold the ruger and the buckmark and am going to get either a .17mach2 upper or an alternate bbl for my current Kimber conversion if that is an option.

Later, Steven