Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading dies for 9mm major

Kepo

Hey guys what would be the best reloading dies to get to reload 9mm major on a single stage press? Is there a certain crimp die that should be used, 4 or 3 die set? Im going to be reolading hollow points or cmjs, no lead or coated bullets. Im just getting started with 9mm major, I have reloaded for rifles, pistols, and shotguns, but i wanna take it slow before I get a dillon progressive.

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by Kepo

I use regular lee dies. They work well. I did the single stage too. It will drive you crazy. If you have a progressive press don't waste your $ on buying a single stage.

Just go slow and use a load latter. Check with a chrono. What are you planning on using? 115g 124g? What powders do you have/or plan on using? What will you be loading for? Glock vs 2011 has a big difference in oal and that will also affect velocity.

Edited by Open1215

Lee first stage sizing die, Dillon powder through die, Lee seating die and a Dillon crimp die. Don't care for the Lee FCD as it can affect accuracy. I was designed

to be used for Lee Tumble Lube Bullets. Not jacketed bullets. If you use the same bullet for a few bucks you can send the bullet to Lee and they will cut you a seating

die insert for that bullet. The seater has a knob on top to make small adjustments.

It seems most use wac or hs6 powder so that is what i will be using, and 124 grain bullets. I will be reloading it only for my sti dvc open, I do not have a chronograph, and was going to ask around and see what some other guys are using for that gun. Right now im using atlanta arms major 147gr hp that are 1.175". One load I saw was 6.7gr of autocomp 124gr pd hp @ 1.160" oal with 168pf. I do not shoot competition yet. I am going to take a few classes with a local GM first. As far as a progressive press I really dont feel that confident with them for something like this. My dillon sl900 shotshell reloader has nothing but problems, constantly chasing things on the press.

I have a 650 and have loved it from the moment I got it. I had a lee single stage for a year or so because it was all I could afford. It drove me nuts and I had a TON of set back issues ( I almost blew up my gun) missing one. I use hs-6 under a 115g. It works very well. It feels the same to me as 3n38 side by side and the same pf. It's a bit dirtier, it's also 1/2 the price. I would recommend a 650 to anyone. If you do go on a single stage watch OAL and CHECK EVERY LOAD FOR SETBACK.

Back to the original question. I prefer LEE or EGW undersized sizing die because some brass has thinner case walls and won't always hold hard jacketed bullets in place. You're already way outside the envelope with 9MAJOR so there's no room for potential setback issues. BUT standard LEE sizer is fine 90% of the time.

I spent good money on the much hyped micrometer seating die only to find out it wasn't as consistant as a plain old seating die. Even if it worked as advertised all the time it's just overkill for what we load for.

I originally bought Dillon dies when I bought my press but soon learned they are nothing special for the cost. You will be very well served by a set of LEE dies.

And someday if you move up to a progressive press put the LEE dies in it. :)

Edited to add: eventually you'll want to run your ammo through a chrono but I like 7.2 WAC with MG 124JHP @1.165 or 7.8 WAC with MG 115 JHP @ 1.165. Both loads are 172 PF out of my gun

Edited by Sarge

Definitely get a chrono! That's a must have. You will want 200-300 rounds for a match. Depending on the round count. It will take a long time to load that many. It takes me about 20 min on my 650. It took me an hour for 100 on my single stage...

With 9 major, a chrono is not optional. You're running past the ragged edge, not worth the risk. If you want to use a single stage, that's up to you, no difference, it just takes longer. I used all Dillon dies for a long time but changed to a EGW/Lee undersized die a year ago. I get a better percentage of rounds passing the case gauge.

I'm using a full set of Lee carbide dies for 9maj and have been very very happy with them. I am not seating and crimping with the seating die, using two stations for that. As others have said you NEED a chrono with 9maj and for sure start low and work up watching for pressure signs with the brass / primers. According to what I've seen I have a bit of a fast barrel for my load.

124gr xtreme HPCB

7.9gr HS-6

Fed sp primers

Mixed brass

1.160"

~1400fps

If you're worried about complexity and problems get a lee classic turret.

I'd suggest lee 4 die set and lee auto drum powder measure (the new one). Also get the lee riser and lee safety prime.

Now you still only have one case at a time on the press but the loading happens sequentially rather than in batches as in a single stage.

Lee size die in station 1.

Lee powder through expander and lee auto drum in station 2

Lee seat/crimp die in station 3 but set up high so it's not crimping.

Lee factory crimp die in station 4 (it will not touch bullets up to 356. If using lead sized 357 then yes it may cause issues).

With this setup just one thing happens at a time. The press is very basic so easy to setup and use. When comfortable you'll be able to run 300 an hour easily which is 3 times faster than single stage.

If you're worried about complexity and problems get a lee classic turret.

I'd suggest lee 4 die set and lee auto drum powder measure (the new one). Also get the lee riser and lee safety prime.

Now you still only have one case at a time on the press but the loading happens sequentially rather than in batches as in a single stage.

Lee size die in station 1.

Lee powder through expander and lee auto drum in station 2

Lee seat/crimp die in station 3 but set up high so it's not crimping.

Lee factory crimp die in station 4 (it will not touch bullets up to 356. If using lead sized 357 then yes it may cause issues).

With this setup just one thing happens at a time. The press is very basic so easy to setup and use. When comfortable you'll be able to run 300 an hour easily which is 3 times faster than single stage.

That's the exact setup I bought when I first got into reloading (minus the drum, that's a new addition) and I'm still using it 30k rounds later. For what it is I don't think there's a better deal out there. I'm outgrowing it these days and will be moving into a 650 very soon, but my LCT will have its own corner for load development.

Thank you all for the great info. Looks like im going to go with what Beerbaron and Slostang suggested. I dont need to reload thousands of rounds a month I think the lee turret will fit my needs perfectly, the price is right and I still need to buy more mags, a ced pro chrono, and a rig.

Thanks,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so i got my dies and press. I set up the u size die and the through die powder die per the lee instructions. I set the seat die to a depth of when I can feel it make contact with the case bell when the ram is up as I screw the die in. No crimp, confirmed with calipers. I intend to do a wipe test for the factory crimp die, when I get my bullets and powder. Does this all sound correct? When I resize the brass the outside diameter of the case mouth is .370" and then when I bell it it is .375". Is this enough flare to the case for a 124gr pd hp (3.55" dia)? Also looking at the hodgdon data they show a 124gr berb hbrn tp @ 1.150" oal with 6 gr of hs6 and cci 500 primers, would it be safe to start at this load for my load ladder to make major with the precision delta 124 gr hp loaded @ 1.165" going 2/10 th of a grain per string?

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by Kepo