Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting back into it after twenty years

BustaPrima

Hi All from North Carolina (near Charlotte, north side).

I used to shoot with the Cactus Match League in Arizona but the job pulled me away 20 years ago. Where I landed had what seemed to me a weak IPSC presence that was inconvenient and far so I kind of fell out of the game. In fact I didn't even shoot much for the first 6 years I was there. Now I moved again and joined a range and I'm looking to get back into it. I used to shoot weekly (or more) and this group only shoots monthly but that's fine for starters.

Back then I shot limited with a 1911 and a revolver and made A class. Things have changed. I don't recall "production class" back then and major was 170 or 175. I tried to start with a high cap 9mm but they nearly laughed me off the stages. I didn't get anywhere near A class until I bought that old Colt 1911. I had started building a high cap 1911 (with the fat, double stack frame) but I'm pretty sure I would have had to shoot that in open class. Now I see hi-cap 1911s dominate limited class (now they're 2011s? Makes sense). Production class seems to be dominated by the old wonder nines. Full circle I guess.

I'm probably going to do a lot of searching and reading here but if anyone wants to help get me up to speed, feel free to reply here or message me. I've been looking at the CZ 75 P-01 but might ease back into it with my Sig P226 Enhanced Elite. I don't want a single action only. I'm fine with a DA/SA with a decock lever or a DAO. Based on those choices it looks like I'd be better off shooting production class rather than limited. Of course I could shoot major in limited with a 40 cal. I have a Glock 22 or can pick up a Glock 35. I could use that same Sig P226 I have already (I set it up as a 40 or 9) but I've been told the guns they now use in limited will trounce me pretty quick. I don't feel like spending thousands either. Back then I had little to no desire to build a race gun and ended up selling the 1911 high cap frame and mags before attempting to build it. I looked at the STI 2011 models for limited class but they're too pricey and frankly I'm looking for fun and proficiency over competitiveness, at least for now.

I reload so if things have changed there too, I need to relearn some of that. I've been reloading with Rainier and Berry's plated bullets for a while now. I was considering switching to Precision Delta or TJ Conevera jacketed bullets but lately I'm seeing ads for fancy maroon colored polymer coated bullets and I'm wondering if there is some new magic bullet everyone is using. I've also heard the revolver is nearly dead. It seems there is only one class now? I plan on shooting USPSA/IPSC as I doubt IDPA will interest me but I'm willing to listen.

Thanks and I look forward to browsing here and getting to know people.

It still is the same game I started shooting in 1990.

You know what to do.... "shooter do you understand the course of fire?"..."make ready"..."stand-by" BEEP!

Bring whatever gun you like or want to shoot and get back in the saddle. What division? Whatever one the gun your brings fits into. The local range

crew will get you in the right one.

Read the rule book in the mean time to refresh your memory and maybe find a couple new things. Otherwise...get out and play!@

Yes, forget IDPA - go for USPSA ... :bow:

If you still have a handgun - bring it to the next shoot ... Don't

buy anything just yet. Shoot what you have. Glock 22 is fine

to start with.

If you don't have a gun, I believe you'd be way better off with

a CZ 75 over either a Sig or a Glock, but that's personal.

The new colored bullets seem to be very accurate, and you

can't ingest lead from them .... good choice.

You can still shoot Limited, if you get the CZ with a high cap

mag or the Glock hi cap.

Otherwise, you might try Production (10 shot mags, 9mm).

Welcome back - enjoy. :cheers:

Step one, look in the safe and grab a gun with enough mags.

Step two, take said gun with mags and enough ammo to the match.

Step three, load up and shoot said match.

Use what you have for now as there is plenty of time to find something better down the road.

• 1 month later...

Welcome back! I shoot in Cactus currently and enjoy it. Ive owned both guns but I personally go with the CZ, there are many aftermarket parts for them and they hold up really well. Good luck with whatever you decide, you can't go wrong

Hi again and thanks for the warm welcome and suggestions.

I see a lot of support for the CZ 75. Not just in this thread or board but everywhere. What I don't get is why. It's a DA/SA and if I didn't get the rules I read mixed up already, you cannot start in SA on the models that can do cocked and locked so no advantage to the model with a safety. Also, the CZ 75 has 18 round mags in 9mm but you can't use more than 10 rounds in production class so no advantage there. The 40 cal holds 12 which is closer to 10 but there is NO advantage to 40 in production class so everyone shoots 9mm. Why then is everyone thumbs upping the CZ 75? Why is that so much better than my P226 with the SRT (short reset trigger). Why is that better than a Glock anything with the consistent and light trigger?

Edited by BustaPrima

I'm only giving you my opinion, I'm not trying to say which one is better. My personal choice is the CZ. Magazine capacity doesn't matter in production, like you said, you only can load 10 rounds. Now, if you decide to shoot limited you can add some base pads and start in single action. It all boils down to what YOU want.

I too am an old Cactus member. My member number is so low I was almost there from the beginning.

Revolver is not dead. More shooters were at the nationals this year then ever before. Many are using 8 shot S&Ws. I'm shooting a 929 and like the 9 mm but there are a lot of 627s out there you can pick up cheaper. They shoot .357/38 and 38 Short Colt.

I haven't shot with an auto in forever but when I did I used a Glock. It's still my favorite.