Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PF vs Recoil, temp insensitive

mont1120

Bored as usual in the frozen NW tundra, I was looking up loads in ye ol loading manual, and was looking to prepare some loads for the summer competitions. I use 230 grain Blue Bullets for major meets to gain as much velocity as I can keeping recoil down due to FPS needs. My question to the more savvy reloaders is:

What works the best for you using 230 grain, hitting major power factor, minimal recoil, and, considering the almighty scary inverse temperature issue, what has made you most comfortable headed to the chrono station in 100 degree weather? I like WST but have seen some extreme variations using the heavy bullets in high heat.

I have on hand 700 and 800X, WSF, Titegroup, Clays, and of course, WST. Recoil is a major factor as we .45 shooters know, thousands of rounds a summer does take its toll.

you want the powder that requires the least amount of charge weight This means a fast burning powder.

+1. And, don't load thousands of rounds this winter unless you've Thoroughly Tested them

in ALL of your .45's (no one owns just one). Check thru chrono for PF, thru mags an

chamber for OAL, etc. :cheers:

Ramshot Competition is by far my favorite. Low recoil and super clean. I like it better than Clays, WST, N310, Titegroup, e3, and Bullseye.

Good price at Powder Valley too.

4.0-4.1 under a SNS Cast RN 230 with a OAL of 1.250 gives me 175 PF. I didn't notice that much of a difference in the Summer as far as temperature sensitivity.

Edited by BASE772

CLAYS

There is not even a contest with the other powders you listed for a 230 grain coated bullet. 3.8 to 3.9 of Clays loaded to 1.250 and you are there.

I think you could safely load 4 grains of Clays at 1.250 OAL and set the crimp to .469. Chamber check in your barrels and load your mags to insure smooth feeding and you are good to go. That should make major anywhere and run in most 1911 .45's.

I ran 3.8 clays for awhile and it was good...but deviation was high. Just got some RS Competition. Meters great but have only tried it in 185's so far.. Competition is available at Powder Valley. Buy a jug and give it a shot. What's the worst that could happen.

I will try the Ramshot, we find up here we are forced to buy via the Internet, last month was the first month any of the LGS had any pistol power at all. Most of it was 800X, which meters about as good as wet sand, and Longshot. The 800X is a great powder, but the variation in the spreads get erratic when the metering goes screwy.

• 3 weeks later...

I will try the Ramshot, we find up here we are forced to buy via the Internet, last month was the first month any of the LGS had any pistol power at all. Most of it was 800X, which meters about as good as wet sand, and Longshot. The 800X is a great powder, but the variation in the spreads get erratic when the metering goes screwy.

Ramshot Competition looks and meters just like WST. Good stuff.