Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Hate When I Cant Get My Gun Back Together

ipscron2000

Sometimes a take one of my guns apart for what ever reason and can't get it back together. I hate having to load it up and take a 45 minute drive to my gunsmith and have him show me how to put it together. AGAIN. I then learn how and put it away. Then for some reason I take it apart later in the year and can't remember how to re-assemble it again.

I think I should let my GS do most of the tinkering on my guns.

I had this problem once w/ my SP-101. Shot a spring from the trigger group across the room. Found it. While trying to figure out how to get it back in there (confound it), I shot it across the room again, never to be found. I let the gunsmith fix it after that :)

I bought a a Para 16.40 lDA limited when the first came out. Took it home and the first thing I did/do with para's is tighten the frame to the slide. Had a digital camera ready to take a picture of the internals right away so I could put the thing back together. when I took the beaver tail off parts flew everyware. never got to take a picture. took me about 2 hours to put the thing back together. Ended up helping some of the local dealers put some customers guns togther after they did same thing. Ruger 10/22's give me the hardest time, jewell trigger for ar-15 same way, good quality instructions that come with them, good for TP or starting a camp fire.

Man, this thread is like therapy! I thought I was just being a dumb female (blond no less) because it's happened to me more than once. With only 31 parts (give or take depending on the model), Glocks are simple by comparison to DA or 1911 style guns....and yes, that's partly why my carry gun is a Glock 21.

I wish I could say that it never happens to me, but it has happened twice. Once with my Beretta Ulrika shotgun. Also, when I was replacing the sear spring in my Ruger 22/45, I forgot to look which side of the pin the spring was on. It took 2 hours to get back together. I almost put it all in a ziploc bag and took it to the shop, but I stuck with it. Funny thing, I even called the shop and asked if I could come down and take apart one of their 22/45's to look at, they politely said, why don't you bring it to us :) :)

Carinab, that's why I love Glocks - simplicity.

I did take a fishing real apart and couldn't get it back together so I went and bought another one of the same model so that I could figure it out by looking at the second one.

Same reason when I do brake jobs on cars that I only take one wheel apart at a time - I use the other one to figure out how this is suppose to go back together.

By the way, I do have two G34s but haven't had to use one as a master - YET.

There are a couple of assembly/disassembly manuals out there that are great. They cover many of the basic firearm designs like 1911, Glock, Witness, S&W N Frames, etc with really good photos and tips for reassembly when it actually isn't the inverse of how it came apart. They are strapped to my bench.

Rugers kill me, i put in a match trigger group into a 10/22 and it took me 4 hours to figure out how to put it back together :angry: .Even though it works i still look at the bag of parts ( had some left over) with suspicion and dread.

Mark II is a close second, i always forget how to do the very last part. I was so pissed at my stupidity that i sold the gun shortly thereafter.

James

tip I learned on Ruger MKII when you go to close the latch turn the gun upside down and bingo you are done.

Alan

To me, the most difficult to figure out how to reassemble on your own is the Ruger MkII. I just did a sales report and found it odd that our most popular disassembly/reassembly video is by far the 1911. 2nd most popular is the Ruger MkII and last the 10/22 video.

tip I learned on Ruger MKII when you go to close the latch turn the gun upside down and bingo you are done.

Alan

To me, the most difficult to figure out how to reassemble on your own is the Ruger MkII. I just did a sales report and found it odd that our most popular disassembly/reassembly video is by far the 1911. 2nd most popular is the Ruger MkII and last the 10/22 video.

That's the thing I love about the 1911... everything's straight forward once you figure out where the sear spring is supposed to sit on the sear. The Glock has some nuances, but is also a snap. Go figure that the little gun is the beast... thank goodness the shop I bought mine from showed me the "flip" trick.

I bought a a Para 16.40 lDA limited when the first came out.  when I took the beaver tail off parts flew everyware.  never got to take a picture.  took me about 2 hours to put the thing back together.

Two hours is a really good number. You should be working for Para if you can do that, you are probably better than some of their techs.

Try a Ruger Mk II detail strip.... talk about a buch of flying springs and pieces!

Speaking of parts fly across the room, the P7 striker with the two springs and retainer do a good job of parts flying across the room when you don't get the retaining pin in. About the only thing worse than that is getting hit by the part. Luckily I have to wear glasses. One time I got nailed in the head with guide rod plug when I was reinstalling it on my Para. Hand slipped, head just happened to be over it. Boy did that hurt. Good thing I only use a 11 lbs spring.

There are a couple of assembly/disassembly manuals out there that are great.  They cover many of the basic firearm designs like 1911, Glock, Witness, S&W N Frames, etc with really good photos and tips for reassembly when it actually isn't the inverse of how it came apart.  They are strapped to my bench.

I'm with BigDave on this one. You can't have too many manuals. There are several real good smiths that write, some of which reside on these boards from time to time.( thank you Mr. Sweeney) I always have a copy of one manual or another handy when I disassemble an unfamilar handgun.

OBTW, I think Ruger Mk I, II and now III pistols are alien mindtraps. They were sent to earth to keep us all distracted while Pinky and the Brain take over the world. :o

FWIW

dj