Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 moon clips

jsg

Got a new 627 so I am now looking to buy a bunch of moon clips. Coming from the 625, sticker shock has hit me.

Are the TK (hearthco design) clips really twice as good as the revolver supply?

I am looking at the .25 because I have bought 1500 starline short colt brass.

This is a USPSA gun so reload speed is paramount.

Somebody set me straight on 627 clips.

Hearthco is the best and is well worth the price. Your brass doesn't hang it stays straight which will aid in fast reloads.

I also have the regular TK moons, .035. and .040. The .035s work great and are still stainess steel and EDMed. He also makes stamped .035s out of steel.

These are better then RS moons although for practice I have their .035s and use the TKs for matches.

What brass are you planning to run? I have 20 TK moons for competition. If I load .38 Special it is all Hornady brass and .38 Short Colt is Starline. TK makes different variations of their 627 moonclips depending on what brass you want to run.

Edited by aandabooks

Make sure you use a single brand of consistent brass. One reason why most of us have settled on Starline .38 (special, long or short colt) as their dimensions have been consistent. God forbid they ever stop that!!!!

You can get 1000 rounds of Starline .38 Short Colt for $150. That would probably last the average shooter several years. The round is very low pressure and it hardly stresses the brass. You'll need atleast 20 good moons and with any of the good moons you'll need to buy a loading/unloading tool.

Got a new 627 so I am now looking to buy a bunch of moon clips. Coming from the 625, sticker shock has hit me.

Are the TK (hearthco design) clips really twice as good as the revolver supply?

I am looking at the .25 because I have bought 1500 starline short colt brass.

This is a USPSA gun so reload speed is paramount.

Somebody set me straight on 627 clips.

Not only twice as good but a necessity for anyone serious about competition. The cheap stamped clips that work so well for a 625 are available for your 627 however they do not work as well as you are accustomed to. .38 special clip groove specs are all over the board. This is why specialized cut clips are so necessary. Buy once cry once.

I started thinking of the thinner clips for practice and save the thicker ones for matches. But I noticed that loading/unloading them in the BMT after the thicker clips were used a few times they were easier to work. The thinner clips always seem to catch the brass. So far I have 10 of the thinner clips and 100 hearthcos and 10 TK's. All are well made and in 3+years 2 Nationals and several area championships plus over 50 local matches and practice I've lost one of each. Though the thinner moon clip that was bent was in practice.