Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC Limited .40 - First Impressions

Chutist

It does change the "feel" of the gun. I think if you read some of the other threads on guys shooting USPSA Major with .40 out of an STI based gun that 12 pound recoil spring is a common choice.

With the longer OAL and the 12 pound recoil spring the gun just felt "smooth" and came right back to my aim point when it cycled. For me, the heaver spring was much more abrupt when it cycled.

It's all about having the gun just return naturally to your point of aim. :D

Edited by Chutist

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put a 17lb main spring in it, an extended firing pin and an 11 lb recoil spring in it.

I shoot mostly 180 or 200 grain major loads in it, cycles good,shoots flat, I watch videos,and it stays pretty flat.

Only issue I have is if I don't relax my grip during a reload, some magazines won't drop.

I will talk to STI to get a new grip for it.

I put a 17lb main spring in it, an extended firing pin and an 11 lb recoil spring in it.

I shoot mostly 180 or 200 grain major loads in it, cycles good,shoots flat, I watch videos,and it stays pretty flat.

Only issue I have is if I don't relax my grip during a reload, some magazines won't drop.

Hi Bret,

before shelling out on a new grip, make sure that your magazines are not too large front to back. If I recall correctly, they should not be deeper than 1.370" front to back. Mike them at various points, and if you find a larger size, squeeze it down (VERY gently) in a bench vise. I bet that this will solve your mag dropping issues...

Hi Bret,

before shelling out on a new grip, make sure that your magazines are not too large front to back. If I recall correctly, they should not be deeper than 1.370" front to back. Mike them at various points, and if you find a larger size, squeeze it down (VERY gently) in a bench vise. I bet that this will solve your mag dropping issues...

There is enough flex in the grip that unless I relax my grip quite a bit, the magazines don't fall out.

I have the same style grip on another gun and no matter how firm I grip it, the magazines drop free.

I think they reduced the grip too much on the front and it now has too much flex in it.

DVC .40 Saga so far -

Rear sight had to be filed to fit in relief cuts on slide so elevation could be adjusted

Front sight fell out of dove tail

Rear sight elevation screw broke in half

and tonight took the slide off for a quick wipe down before tomorrow's match to find the ejector was broken.

not happy with STI's quality so far.

Wow... Mine's been completely different ;)

Where did the ejector break? Can you post a pic!? I've never seen that in any of my 1911's

Mine was:

Break in

Swap recoil spring to 12 pounder

Load ammo longer

sight in

Clean

and Won first match I shot with it. :D

Edited by Chutist

Wow... Mine's been completely different ;)

Where did the ejector break? Can you post a pic!? I've never seen that in any of my 1911's

Mine was:

Break in

Swap recoil spring to 12 pounder

Load ammo longer

sight in

Clean

and Won first match I shot with it. :D

The post the that the ejector pin goes through broke flush with the frame

Santa brought me 3 mbx magazines, safariland mag holders and bladetech holster. Just need my damn pistol to get here!

That's the same set up I'm running. You'll like the MBX mags, they were good to go right out of the package. I got the Safariland mag pouches and the "DOH" holster. I may swap the mount on the DOH to the "BOSS" -> http://benstoegerproshop.com/bsps-boss-doh-holster-hanger-hanger-mount-only/

It does change the "feel" of the gun. I think if you read some of the other threads on guys shooting USPSA Major with .40 out of an STI based gun that 12 pound recoil spring is a common choice.

With the longer OAL and the 12 pound recoil spring the gun just felt "smooth" and came right back to my aim point when it cycled. For me, the heaver spring was much more abrupt when it cycled.

So I've had my STI since September 2015 and I've run it in 8-9 matches so far and here's what I've learned:

• I have to chamber check on my barrel as the case gauge I have (Dillon) says everything is "Ok" but I had a lot of FTF's - Since checking on the barrel, i've had zero FTF's. I run mixed brass and Zero JHP 180 GR with 4.9 VV320 at a length of 1.165"ish"
  • There still seemed to be something missing for me but that changed when I literally had a buddy suggest, and give me a 12 pound spring to try during our practice session this week. The difference was palpable! The gun rocked back into position into what I'd say was "right on time" vs. the stock spring that I was running. To Chutist point above, my gun seemed to smooth it's way back into place vs. "slamming home" like it had done. I have my first match this weekend so we'll see how well this helps.

Still waiting on my DVC which will hopefully be here in January. Ive been getting worried with all the reviews saying the gun likes longer hand loads. I currently shoot Speer lawman 180 grain because its what my dept uses and its free. Ive ordered three mbx magazines hoping a tuned mag will feed better. Don't want to have to buy a Dillon reloader after dropping this much coin on a pistol.

I would still think of investing on a dillon. I have an STI DVC and I also get free 40 cal ammo at work but I only use it for practice and local matches. If you reload to barely making major, you will notice the difference and not want to shoot the duty stuff for any bigger matches.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

So I've had my STI since September 2015 and I've run it in 8-9 matches so far and here's what I've learned:

• I have to chamber check on my barrel as the case gauge I have (Dillon) says everything is "Ok" but I had a lot of FTF's - Since checking on the barrel, i've had zero FTF's. I run mixed brass and Zero JHP 180 GR with 4.9 VV320 at a length of 1.165"ish"
  • There still seemed to be something missing for me but that changed when I literally had a buddy suggest, and give me a 12 pound spring to try during our practice session this week. The difference was palpable! The gun rocked back into position into what I'd say was "right on time" vs. the stock spring that I was running. To Chutist point above, my gun seemed to smooth it's way back into place vs. "slamming home" like it had done. I have my first match this weekend so we'll see how well this helps.

One of the nice things about the Tool-less Guide Rods is it's VERY easy to strip the pistol. I use the barrel as my check gage. I used to use a commercial Check Gage for my race gun just didn't trust it. The barrel is the best check in my opinion.

Still waiting on my DVC which will hopefully be here in January. Ive been getting worried with all the reviews saying the gun likes longer hand loads. I currently shoot Speer lawman 180 grain because its what my dept uses and its free. Ive ordered three mbx magazines hoping a tuned mag will feed better. Don't want to have to buy a Dillon reloader after dropping this much coin on a pistol.

I would still think of investing on a dillon. I have an STI DVC and I also get free 40 cal ammo at work but I only use it for practice and local matches. If you reload to barely making major, you will notice the difference and not want to shoot the duty stuff for any bigger matches.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Totally agree, I get .40 at work too. But if you run that you're not going to get the best performance out of the DVC. ;)

I called STI last week to ask about OAL and the guy on the phone cited "SAMMI Spec". No comment on 1.180, when I asked about that he just said "SAMMI SPEC max OAL for .40 is 1.135".

So I moved on to springs and he said "16 pound recoil spring and 19 pound main spring. " :excl: FWIW - I could hear him digging though papers looking for the answer to the questions. It wasn't real confidence inspiring... :surprise:

I've read lots of posts here that said "STI RECOMMENDS 1.180 OAL" - I was surprised the guy was nothing but SAMMI spec in his replies. ;)

I've got 5K small Rifle primers that I'm going to be using for reloading, so I'll be staying with the stock main spring (what ever it is.... :mellow: ) for now. :D

You could try the the 17? I wouldn't "test" at a match but you could swap it for a range day and see how it goes?

Edited by Chutist

Got my DVC 40 back in May. Been through 25 matches now (Area 1 and Ltd Nationals), and every match close to me.

When running 180gr Xtreme's powered to 168pf, it needs an 11 # progressive spring. Anything heavier, and the slide would slam forward too much, causing follow ups to drop.

Anything in the 12 # and up, would beg for an occasional short-stroked slide movement, causing feed problems.

Running a 40 minor load, 10 # spring.

I fine tune the "spring to load" suitability by looking at how far the brass ejects. I want my pile of brass to be no closer than 3' from me. Anything closer, and the spring is too heavy. If the brass is flying over 6', then the spring is too soft, and will be hammering the frame.

All ammo is loaded to 1.155, so that my wife's M&P can eat it too. Once broken in, the DVC swallows any length ammo just fine.

The DVC I have came with a 15# spring.

I think you're on the right track there with Springs in the DVC. I think the 12# progressive I have in the gun is a touch heavy still. I'm hoping mine will eat the shorter OAL ammo as I get broken in and the optimum recoil spring. I have a Glock 35 too and it would be nice to have one load that would work in both ;)

I just got off the phone with a guy from STI without hesitation he told me a 15lb mainspring with 3 coils cut off for the open gun, and a 15lb mainspring with no coils cut for the limited DVC. Also he said the recoil spring stock was 14lb.

So, it looks like I'm staying with the 12lb variable recoil spring and the stock 15lb mainspring, any less MS and I would be afraid of light primer strikes, as the firing pin appears to be titanium.

What ever the main spring is... I'm leaving it alone for now. ;)

I'm running small rifle primers, since I've got close to 10k of them from my days running 9x21 in open... I ran a test batch and the dents in the primers look strong.

I wil give 10 lb recoil spring a go at some point but...

Gun seems to have settled in and is running better and better! :D

I shot my new DVC this morning. Shoots like a dream, but it hates my short reloads (1.135" with a Blue Bullets 200 gr RNFP). It choked about every 3 rounds on average. Hopefully a more tapered bullet profile and a little longer length will take care of it. I'm going to order some 180s to try. It worked OK with Blazer Brass 180 gr factory ammo.

Run them longer Captain, I ran about 400-500 factory length rounds through mine and didn't have any failures, however even when chambering a round you could feel it just wasn't as smooth.. When my caliber conversion kit came in and I'm loading a bayou 180g over 4.8g w231 to 1.180 OAL, It's shooting a ragged hole at 25 yards and the gun feeds slick as butter.

Mine isn't a DVC but it's an Executive. When I bought it, we tested it with factory ammo, which is short. At least once on every mag it would have a failure to feed. I bought it and worked up my .40 loads to 1.19 OAL and it functions like it should. Mine too hates short ammo!

Got my DVC 40 back in May. Been through 25 matches now (Area 1 and Ltd Nationals), and every match close to me.

When running 180gr Xtreme's powered to 168pf, it needs an 11 # progressive spring. Anything heavier, and the slide would slam forward too much, causing follow ups to drop.

Anything in the 12 # and up, would beg for an occasional short-stroked slide movement, causing feed problems.

Running a 40 minor load, 10 # spring.

I fine tune the "spring to load" suitability by looking at how far the brass ejects. I want my pile of brass to be no closer than 3' from me. Anything closer, and the spring is too heavy. If the brass is flying over 6', then the spring is too soft, and will be hammering the frame.

All ammo is loaded to 1.155, so that my wife's M&P can eat it too. Once broken in, the DVC swallows any length ammo just fine.

The DVC I have came with a 15# spring.

I put a wolff progressive 12# spring in the gun after a 500rd break in period with factory ammo, My brass goes anywhere from 2-3ft to 6ft... for no rime or reason some ejects backwards and some to the side.

Edited by jtrump