Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

practicing long range shooting at 100 yard range

Scottie

I'm not 100% on this, but I believe high power competitions at smaller ranges utilize reduced size targets to simulate shooting at greater distances. I am curious what formula is used. For example, how would someone determine the equivalent of a 6 inch round target at 600 yards, when shooting at 100 yards?

it is all about the angle of the dangle

1 MOA is 1MOA as above has stated

to add some wind practice get out your old .22LR if you have ammo

I bet you could even simulate it using a .177 air rifle ( focuses your follow through ) in your basement or garage if it came down to it due to weather etc.. just keep shrinking the targets to maintain the visual

It's been a while since I shot Hi Power. Targets may not be scaled exactly for distance reduction, but, again they may be. It is possible that they are slightly smaller to increase the wind affect.

Google for target sizes, rules, etc. The CMP is a good place to start for information, as well as the NRA competitions.

Besides trigger control and some load development it can't be done, wind is the game, 4-10 mph at 250 yds 4-5+" , at 400 yards goo 12-15+" drift,plenty of loads at 100 yds, yes theres those that say no way will tighten up a lot at 200-400 ,ect ,trigger control is a must have for LD.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have used the same size steel but when cutting the distance, say in half, I reduce the magnification in my scope by half to simulate the longer distance.

With a FFP scope I can see that working but with SFP, does it work the same in terms of POI/POA?

Rancher5, I can't understand what you were trying to say. I was thinking of shooting high power at our local range, but we are limited to 100 yd. I thought it would help my 3 gun game. But you seem to be saying shooting at 100 is worthless?

No issues,I thought at "first you were referring to Long range shooting, That's why I said I regret posting,your referring to practice for three gun furthest you'll ever shoot is 200yds, so practice with whatever you have it all will translate to being a better shooter

My practice range (until rancher5 invites me over to his place) is limited to 200 yards.

I hope Ben doesn't mind me sharing, but I put these out at 30 to 60 yards. Works well with my .22LR upper.

If I move them out any further, I go with .223.

Bill

Anytime stop by! , sorry about my first post I was referring to Long range, instead of High power as in 223, or whatever, I truly believe anything you shoot translate to a better shooter,trigger time is great.

In so many ways, practicing at 100 yds is much easier. Misses are still on paper and usually easy to see.

My preference is to shoot dots. I start with 1" dots and move to 3/4" ones and then 5/8" and if I'm really feeling my oats, 1/2" dots.