Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Overall length is a real measurement

robport

I went out a little nervously to our biweekly match with a new gun (and new caliber for me).

I didn't have much experience with it yet, but had shot it a little and the recipe felt good.

First stage, on second first magazine, it wouldn't go into battery. Couldn't clear it. Finally got the round out with help.

Thinking it was just one bad round, I went to the second stage...surprise, one of the best stages I've ever shot.

Third stage, three rounds, then wouldn't go into battery, had to clear, then a shot and another jam. Durn, found another bad one.

Fourth stage, one shot, then same thing.

Got home and noticed that while the overall length looked good, the bullets I was using had a different ogive, with the shoulders much further out.

Hmmm, needed to be almost .050" shorter.

I had matched the "standard length", but forgot that bullet shape matters...and didn't case gauge.

Daaahhhhh!

• 2 weeks later...

And use a chrono. I've spent many a frustrating hour in the garage at the reloading bench trying to get things jjjjuuussst right in a new load. Just so I would front load all the pain and get it over with at home, rather than as happened to you at a match.

We don't lose, we learn. Sounds like you're figuring it out!

• 1 month later...

Definitely agree with case-guaging to eliminate the fat rounds that won't chamber!! But i've also had 38 super brass that was reloaded so many times the overall length of the brass had stretched beyond what would chamber - even though the overall length of the round was within spec.

Being a brass-rat with a lot of old brass, i asked the gunsmith to make a slight modification to the chamber to allow for brass that's a little too long. Probably not the best for precision accuracy, but definitely fixed that situation ;)