Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Carbine

MANDOWN75

There have been so many rumors about the Carbine for many years. Gaston Glock has said there will be a big announcement mid-year 2005. Many have said it will be the carbine. I won't get my hopes up til the announcement. You can read all the hype over on Glocktalk.com

GlockSpeed31

Shot a three gun match yesterday with Pistol Cal Carbines. Had three Mech Techs on the squad, one STI based the other two Glock 9mm. The STI funtioned perfectly, they all do that I have seen. The Glock one sucked. One guy had one stage without malfunction. The rest of the stages did not go so well. I'm not impressed and would not buy one.

Olympic Arms is making a Glock Lower AR. It looks like a conventional 9mm AR but the lower receiver is manufactured to take Glock Mags. I haven't seen one but I was wondering if anyone had tried one. I never had great luck with Oly Arms but it was better than the Mech Tech

For the price i would buy a Marlin camp 9 carbine, and have it converted to accept glock mags I believe.

my prefrence of course would be an MP5 but can't afford those

Olympic arms upper and a mag block works superb with STEN mags, but they suck to load. and with a full length barrel it just feels funny shooting a handgun caliber.

I have used one on my Glock 17 for the past three years and have had no problems at all. It feeds and functions with every 9mm load I have used, both factory and reloads. No recoil to speak of and the worst thing is "sprong" sound from the buffer spring. Never notice tho after the buzzer goes off. Acurate enough to keep a 30 round mag on an IPSC target at 100 yards if I do my part right. Fun Gun!

I have a Mech Tech 9mm upper for my 17. Had trouble with it resetting the trigger. Sent it back to Mech Tech and they replaced it with a new upper. This new upper would only shoot 1 at a time. I had to make a couple small mods myself and since then it runs great. Very accurate fun gun. Little frustrating at first.

No additional safeties on the Glock Mech Tech.  Only what are in the frame of the Glock.

Thank you.

I would think most carbine matches wouldn't want you competing with a rifle w/o a safety, as most start positions I've seen require the gun be locked and loaded. Guess you could shoot it from cruiser ready though and run the bolt after the beep.

Ted

No safeties?

I haven't examined one, but if it uses the complete Glock lower, then the only safety that would be missing would be the "drop safety" plunger that is in the slide of the pistol, right? The other two safeties should be operational?

No additional safeties on the Glock Mech Tech.  Only what are in the frame of the Glock.

Thank you.

I would think most carbine matches wouldn't want you competing with a rifle w/o a safety, as most start positions I've seen require the gun be locked and loaded. Guess you could shoot it from cruiser ready though and run the bolt after the beep.

Ted

It's no different than shooting your Glock in the Pistol match. Several guys at FSC shoot these in the Carbine side matches.

It's no different than shooting your Glock in the Pistol match. Several guys at FSC shoot these in the Carbine side matches.

Actually it is a little different.

The glock is in a holster when not in use, which covers and bars access to the trigger guard. Sporting a glock CCU in a giles sling while loaded may well be asking for it.

If you didn't load till you got in the shooting box it probably would not matter. If you are shooting on a hot range, or if you are going to shoot and move with a handgun before transitioning to a slinged rifle you made hot prior to the start signal, I could see it being an BIG issue. All it would take would be for something to get into the trigger guard and someone would be limping- or worse.

Guess it depends on the rifle matches you are shooting, but I can think of a few I've been to where this would not have made the RO's happy.

Ted

• 3 years later...

This thread is old so I'm hoping to revive it to get an update. Is anyone still using the Mech-Tech for their Glock 9mm?

How reliable are they?

How accurate are they? Accurate out to 50 yards? Farther?

I'm thinking of getting one so I'd appreciate any updates from folks that have them.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

I've been running a Mech Tech upper on my G17 since they became available. The only ammo that has not been 100% is Blazer aluminum, everything else including lead, JHP, and ball has been great. Accuracy is very good for a short 9mm carbine. If I do my part, the carbine is capable of keeping a full mag on an IPSC target at 100 yards. I just checked my earlier post and nothing has changed. I use it in Pistol Caliber Carbine matches, bowling pins, and just having fun.

I've been running a Mech Tech upper on my G17 since they became available. The only ammo that has not been 100% is Blazer aluminum, everything else including lead, JHP, and ball has been great. Accuracy is very good for a short 9mm carbine. If I do my part, the carbine is capable of keeping a full mag on an IPSC target at 100 yards. I just checked my earlier post and nothing has changed. I use it in Pistol Caliber Carbine matches, bowling pins, and just having fun.

Thanks. That's what I was hoping to hear.

-Cuz.