Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti 2011 light primer strikes

Hey guys. I have a open 2011 that are having light primer strikes. Tried Atlants arms ammo and reloads with every brand of primers. At 170 ish power factor, the primers that fire have a washed out look th them instead of a distict dimple. It is chambered in .38 super. Tried the same ammo through another sti open gun and the dimples look perfect. Any help please. Thanks, Tony

define "washed out look"

also does it have a titanium firing pin
the reason I ask, I had ammo that would upon firing would blow the dimple back into the firing pin tunnel and shear off some of the primer cup, and the next round wouldn't fire because the firing pin was blocked from hitting the primer.

I swapped the firing pin and spring from a stock Sa 1911 9mm. Did the same thing. I replaced the mainspring with a heavier one and shot it about 10 rounds without misfiring. Ran out of ammo for the day and haven't tested anymore since.

The primer dimple is flat and has a smeared look to it. Does the same thing with major or minor loads

• 2 weeks later...

Have you checked the clearance on the trigger bow interacting with the hammer itself? Have you adjusted pre and over travel recently?

Make sure the hammer is not dragging, test by holding hammer back, pulling trigger, and feeling for any drag. If present, adjust over travel out so there is no drag on hammer. This can slow the hammer down just enough to cause your problem, and it will be random.

I chased this once for a while before I figured it out.

Edited by lc2hl

• 1 month later...

I highly recommend buying an extended firing pin. I was instructed when I bought my first 2011 to make that purchase right away, these are guys who load small rifle primers in their pistol rounds so i kinda trust them. plus they have been at it for about 15 years longer than me.