Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ported or Comped?

aandabooks

Basically I'm messing around with a open gun build using a 4.25" M&P .40. I'm not interested in sticking with the .40 caliber and have a Storm Lake 4.95" ported barrel in .357sig. This gets me back into the .357sig caliber but I started looking at the 9mm threaded barrel with a comp.

Which is going to give me better performance? The barrel and comp will be another $300+. Just don't know if I want to mess with loading 9mm major when getting .357sig to major will be easy.

Loading 9mm major is not difficult.

You should work up to Major, slowly, IMHO.

Start out with PF 150 or so, and make sure you have NO

bullet setback.

Then, slowly work up to PF 168 - 172 With a Chrono.

If you're new at it - start with WAC and 115 gr bullets (completely jacketed,

to prevent comp leading).

As you develop expertise, you might want to experiment with other powders,

e.g. HS6 which has a better recoil impulse, but is diriter and fills the case

(might try the HS6 and 124 gr bullets). :cheers:

I used to load .357 sig for a Glock 31 open gun I shot for a few years. Southern belle brass sells once fired speer headstamp .357 sig brass for around $40 per thousand. They were $32.50 when I was buying them. The brass is LEO range brass pickups. Good stuff as I was on my 4th loading with the brass I had. Load was 1.135 OAL, 7.4 grains Longshot, 124 grain Xtreme FP and CCI magnum pistol primers.

Edited by MrPostman

Thanks for the load info. I have not loaded with Longshot before. I have loaded with both AA#9 & #7 for .357sig. I have several thousand once-fired cases so I'm good there for awhile.

Carver seems to be the consensus for a comp. Pretty good package price with a KKM barrel, 4 port comp, guide rod and spring. I might shoot for awhile with the .357 ported barrel and decide if the round count is hurting me.

• 3 weeks later...

Still itching for the 9mm barrel and comp. I've got everything else bought and installed. Magwell, mag extensions guide rod and springs, Apex trigger, Burris FFIII.

Should I go for it and order the KKM barrel and comp from Carver Custom? They have 10% off orders over $200 right now.

I think that only you can make this decision. You seem to know the advantages and disadvantages of both the .357 SIG and the 9mm, which is all the information that other forum members can provide. At some point, you have to decide for yourself. I realize it isn't easy some times, but only you can decide what you feel is best for you. You don't really want someone else to decide for you, do you? :)

No, I'll make the final decision. I've got all the pros and cons laid out. Just a matter of deciding if I want to spend the money on this gun or another one. I've got a 9mm 2011 that could use some attention to get ready for next 3 gun season. I'll do some thinking on it. I'm not even likely to run this gun in competition very often. I'm concentrating on SS until this years SS Nats.

• 2 months later...

I used to load .357 sig for a Glock 31 open gun I shot for a few years. Southern belle brass sells once fired speer headstamp .357 sig brass for around $40 per thousand. They were $32.50 when I was buying them. The brass is LEO range brass pickups. Good stuff as I was on my 4th loading with the brass I had. Load was 1.135 OAL, 7.4 grains Longshot, 124 grain Xtreme FP and CCI magnum pistol primers.

When you ran that G31 for open, why did you go with CCI Mag primers? Were you seeing flattened primers? What was the fps and pf for this load too? Thanks.

When you ran that G31 for open, why did you go with CCI Mag primers? Were you seeing flattened primers? What was the fps and pf for this load too? Thanks.

Never mind, found an earlier post you wrote:

"They are a little harder than the small pistol primers so less cratering and chance of a pierced primer. A lot of folks use small rifle primers which are much harder but require a stronger main spring and possibly an extended firing pin for reliable ignition."