Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 to 9mm?

twister

Just got back from the range, everything works fine, thanks for all the help, Dave,

Cool. I didn't know all is needed for caliber swap is barrel.

I've also done this to a 40mm upper with a 9mm barrel and some 9mm magazines.

Some swaps work better than others. Depends on the frame/extractor among other factors. For example, going from 45 ACP to 9mm probably won't work...

Edited by USAFA82

• 2 weeks later...

I just compared the extractors from a 9mm and a .40 match elite and they are identical except the the leg on the 9mm was 2 thousandth thinner. I did some light filing and the .40 extractor works perfectly for 9mm.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Well at the minimum you will need 9mm mags to feed the ammo properly.

Some guns will run fine, others may need a 9mm extractor to ensure reliability.

Haven't tried w the tanfo, but my xdm 40 has shot 2500 rounds of 9mm with just a barrel. Using the 40 mags, never bobbled a round. Might not need 9mm mags...

9mm breach face is too small for .40, what you're talking about is 41 Action Express.

The barrel will fit but the breechface is too small to let the run of the .40 slide in between the breechface and extractor.b8653bf704bb81b010ed3d62afbe5e18.jpg

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Ok I am pretty new to the EAA club. I traded for a Elite match with the full Canyon Creek treatment in .40 cal. I have enough 40 guns and would love to swap this to 9mm with just a barrel and mag swap since the slide has a lot of work done to it. Is that possible and where is he best place to buy a barrel.

shane

If you have the Elite Match, I'm pretty sure you have a straight 4.75'' barrel in it, but someone with more knowledge will chime in.

The Stock I and II , Limited and Gold Team have Cone Barrel lockup's on them.

So if your intention is to run a 9mm barrel in a .40 Match slide, then contact EAA and tell them you have a 9mm Elite Match that you want to get a new 9mm barrel for. They might ask for the serial number on the gun, but you can just tell them that you don't have it in front of you at this time. If you give the serial number to them, it will show up on EAA's screen as a 40.

Also consider picking up a 9mm extractor, just in case if you have any issues. Some have had no problems running a 9mm in a 40 slide, others have had to tune a little to get it to run reliably.

You can get the 9mm mags at EAA also if you want.

But there may be someone on here that is willing to part with what you are looking for, and save you some coin.

I would try here first before going to EAA.

Another great option in my humble opinion would be to buy a new match in 9 mm, and then re-sell the frame, and you keep the slide. Your going to pay 300-350 for a slide, You can easily sell a frame for 350-400. People are always looking for frames for projects.

Just got back from the range, everything works fine, thanks for all the help, Dave,

Cool. I didn't know all is needed for caliber swap is barrel.

I've also done this to a 40mm upper with a 9mm barrel and some 9mm magazines.

Some swaps work better than others. Depends on the frame/extractor among other factors. For example, going from 45 ACP to 9mm probably won't work...

I should of thought about that when I bought it and went with 40 originally. Guess I will just have to save up for my 10 mm hunter. Got a 40 inch barrel already just need the rest of the gun.

Wow, 40mm and 40 in. You guys are talking some serious power factor here.