Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 vs. 34

BuellX1

I don't own a Ransom rest, but I don't believe the 34 or 17L is any more mechanically accurate than the 17. They're just easier to shoot accurately due to the longer sight radius. I would be interested in seeing some Ransom rest testing though.

I've heard from a friend, who knows lots of the folks at Glock, that Glock says their most mechanically accurate gun is the G30.

I agree with this entire post. Several years back Glock INC. stated in their magazine their most accurate pistol was a G30.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have both but I cant get used to the 34/35. I've shot so much with the 17, the size of the 34 feels alien to me. Plus I dont feel like the 34 is an advantage, but that is my opinion. I might bust it out again and give it another go for next season.

I don't own a Ransom rest, but I don't believe the 34 or 17L is any more mechanically accurate than the 17. They're just easier to shoot accurately due to the longer sight radius. I would be interested in seeing some Ransom rest testing though.

I've heard from a friend, who knows lots of the folks at Glock, that Glock says their most mechanically accurate gun is the G30.

I shot a G30 at a GSSF match and I was very surprised when I looked at my hits. (won a gun) It is a very accurate compact firearm and the recoil was pleasantly mild.

I shoot a 34 in USPSA but am switching back to a 17. For me, the balance of the 17 is superior. However, many find the sight radius of the 34 to be the decisive factor. If you're new to Glocks, bear in mind that normal 34s come with adjustable sights and a minus connector for a slightly lower trigger weight.

You don't need adjustable sights for USPSA on a 9mm, and you can put a 3.5lb connector on a G17. So what you are left with is shorter sight radius on a G17 where 90% of USPSA shots are 3-15 yards anyway.

I kinda miss my 30. It was damn accurite and smooth for a big bore small gun. That said, i shoot stock g19s almost as well as my zev'd out 34 but the longer radius does help for plates out at 25!

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

They need to come out with a Glock 34s "S" for short and make it a 5" Barrel..

They already make it. Take a look at the Glock 19. 5" Barrel and it uses the Glock 34 clips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's a clip?

Downside of a 35 with 9mm barrel is that its not production legal with the conversion barrel.

Keep forgetting to think USPSA. I just like options and it works well in 3Gun.

It's just like shooting a USPSA stage, the shooter is responsible for reading the stage description. Sounds like you don't really shoot USPSA

OP says "For USPSA which do you prefer and why?"

The sight radius is a moot point, because learning how much sight picture you need is part of learning your gun and playing this game.

I'd be surprised if one person here could tell you the difference without googling between to the 2 sight radiuses at 25 with a 1/32 deviation in any direction from perfect visually/mechanical center.

Now the barrel gets you more velocity all day long.

I'd be surprised if one person here could tell you the difference without googling between to the 2 sight radiuses at 25 with a 1/32 deviation in any direction from perfect visually/mechanical center.

I certainly can't, but I am interested to know. What would be the difference on target, mathematically?

edit: I'm not a math whiz but I gave it a whirl. Hopefully someone will check my work. What I came up with is that on a g17 with sight radius = 6.49", a deviation of 1/32" = a 4.334" deviation on target at 25 yards. On a g34 with sight radius = 7.55", a deviation of 1/32" = a 3.725" deviation on the target at 25 yards. So a difference of ~0.6".

Would not be surprised if I'm off there, haven't done any trig for 13 years.

I shoot a g34 in USPSA/3 gun. I find that the greater the sight radius, the easier it is for my eyes to focus on the front sight (as opposed to the rear sight).

Edited by jhr1986

Your math is correct, but if you want zero deviation, install 25 yard long sights for a 25 yard shot... Go with what setup gives you the most confidence. But keep in mind that most shots in any USPSA match are 3-15 yards, and that shooting is 95% mental. So having a G34 instead of a G17 doesn't keep you from walking by a target and taking 2 mikes and a failure. Look at your sights, but don't take too long doing it.

Edited by 9x45

While I shoot a CZ Shadow Target now, I started IDPA and USPSA with the G34 but switched back to my G17.Every now and then I'll shoot my carry gun , G23 converted to 9 , and can shoot faster and more accurately with the 17 & 23.Don't ask me why.....just can.I found this all out while doing some multi-day tactical training.

Now here's the kicker, calculate the difference in powder to get the same velocity, and figure out how many rounds you could shoot with the g34 before the extra 120$ pays itself off.

Over the service life of the gun, you will use a lot less powder to get your pf. It seems worth it to me for the one time cost.

I need to do other stuff I'm going insane

I started IDPA (yeah a different game) with a G17 3rd gen about seven years ago. Last winter I came across a lightly used G34 3rd gen at an ok price and now use it for IDPA and 3-gun. I like the longer sight radius (not saying it's an advantage) and find it to balance well (especially with extended mags in 3-gun). If I were just getting in the game and knew that it was all I would use the pistol for competition, I would have went for the G34.