Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.357 SIG in Open?

Rudukai13

You can't run .357 in limited major??? Only minor...

Yes you can. 357 sig is approved for limited major in USPSA and standard in ipsc. Basically because it uses the same case as a 40 they recognise there's no capacity advantage. So it's a level playing field.

I did not know that.

You can't run .357 in limited major??? Only minor...

Yes you can. 357 sig is approved for limited major in USPSA and standard in ipsc. Basically because it uses the same case as a 40 they recognise there's no capacity advantage. So it's a level playing field.

Great to know, I love the 357 sig round, I will start loading some up for my Glock!

• 2 weeks later...

I was researching this exact same issue today and wondered that besides the capacity issue, why not a .357 SIG. I normally shoot Limited 10 in .45, but as my age advances, my eyes retreat. So, my thought process was to try Open for the fun of it with a less expensive pistol to see if I even liked it. I intended to begin with an XDM I have, a 5.25 or 4.5 which is in .40, and reduce it with a conversion barrel and compensator. I already have a NeuMount red dot mount that attaches to the frame (great platform) and off I go.

Many issues seem to come to mind on using 9MM major or the .40 round. The .40 seems to not be a very popular choice due to poor comp results. And to be honest, the 9MM major idea in a plastic gun seems, well, reserved for the brave. This year I have watched 1 Glock and 1 XDM go boom. I'm not sure I want to approach the high level of power needed to make major in a 9 case.

So, the .357 SIG looks just right. It makes major on its own merits, and by its design has barrels built for it to specifically handle the the pressure, Yeah, I'm never going to beat the Trubor or SV people, but I will never be that good anyway. And I do not feel like one reload should ever cost the match, other factors will. Those days are long gone. So my thinking is use what I have, buy a few mods, and go have a ton of fun. I would hate to spend $3500 on a sport I would not enjoy. If I find I love it, well there is that ol credit card.......

From what I have studied so far on this and other forums, it is gas volume that makes the compensator work properly to keep the red dot within the sight frame. That is certainly one of the things I want to achieve. I have not ruled out 9 major, but just wondered why the SIG has not been a real option. Obviously it is a real pain to reload, but I do have access to quite a bit of brass.

Even though I will not beat the top shooters, I do want to at least get to B class and compete on some level. Winning does have its rewards.

Edited by mont1120

I have not ruled out 9 major, but wonder why the SIG has not been a real option.

You can easily get 29 rounds of 9mm major into a 170 mm mag - probably

get only 20 or 21 of the .357's in a large mag -

That's a large disadvantage to someone who would like to "be competitive". :cheers:

I've heard of 25-26 in a 40 big stick, should be the same for 357 SIG.

When going from 9 Major to 357 SIG you get more case capacity at the expense of magazine capacity, but with 38 SC you get both. The only question is what do you want to do with more capacity?

In a 5" barrel you can only use so slow a powder and still burn a reasonable share of the charge.