Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tuning Recoil

yellowthunder

Hi Everyone,

I've been developing my open load with 115s in 38 supercomp and have a solid 169PF. The issue I'm having now is it seems like my recoil is too intense and I'm wondering how to go about "taming" that. Basically, I'm experiencing a lot of dot movement and I think that it will be too difficult to shoot quickly. Aside from improve my grip strength, or shoot it more, is there some tuning that I can do to help flatten this out a bit? Or is this part of shooting open?

This is a 2011 build with a Trubor, C-More 6 MOA dot. Currently runs a 15 lb mainspring, and 13 lb recoil spring.

Thanks for the help!

Hello: Both of those are great powders. I would try a 9lb ISMI recoil spring and see if that helps some. The 115's will have more gas to work the comp and should shoot flatter. HS-6 is another good powder as well as the more expensive N105 and N350 powders. Another thing is you may be watching the dot more than looking at the target and knowing where the dot is. Different focus than iron sights. The lighter recoil spring will help a bunch and so will shooting it more. Don't give up on the 115's just yet. Thanks, Eric

I like the n105 personally. I set a gun up for a friend and his gun liked 3n38 better than 105. Going to the 124's will make it a little softer on recoil and the 115's are a little snappier. Yes, going to a lighter spring will help some too. I have tried a recoil buffer and I could not really tell any difference with one and with out.

Auto comp is a little faster burning and I used it to get major out of a 9mm cartridge. I have never tried it for a 38 super, I will have to look but I have a load worked up for true blue if you want to try that.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

I'll try out a lighter recoil spring and see if that helps out. My thinking was that with the 115s the comp would be working hard and the ejection would not be so violent. My friend runs a 9mm major and his loads seem to dump his brass right at his feet, so I was hoping to get something similar to happen.

As for the dot movement, I'll try practicing some more with it. I am pretty used to focusing primarily on the target, but I guess I'm really relying on looking for the dot. Definitely has been different switching to an open gun from production.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

I'll try out a lighter recoil spring and see if that helps out. My thinking was that with the 115s the comp would be working hard and the ejection would not be so violent. My friend runs a 9mm major and his loads seem to dump his brass right at his feet, so I was hoping to get something similar to happen.

As for the dot movement, I'll try practicing some more with it. I am pretty used to focusing primarily on the target, but I guess I'm really relying on looking for the dot. Definitely has been different switching to an open gun from production.

Good luck, lots of dryfire will help with initially finding the dot, transitions etc.

I think what your going through is minor to major PF issues. It would be more "violent"

If you went production to limited or SS

Edited by cnote

• 3 months later...