Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on DA/SA and Sa only

Cundiff5535

I have an SP01 Shadow and love the thing. I am typically a SA shooter only, and to be honest, I am not a huge fan of the take up on the pistol in SA mode. Is there any advantage to leaving this pistol DA/SA vs converting it? I am not aware of the rules of gaming so, that might be a big one.

I may look into shooting sports more next spring... I would love to hear thoughts etc...

Thanks,

I'm fairly new to CZs as well... Does your shadow have the short reset trigger or a pre-b disconnector? The shadows I've got (ones got CZ custom short reset and once had a pre-b disconnector installed) have VERY little single action take up. I have not handled a shadow with similar trigger to mine with the SAO trigger installed. If it's got the same take up and trigger stroke as mine in SA.... Holy crap that would be a solid gun. Regarding shooting sports it will all depend what division you're looking to shoot. Will have to stay da/sa for USPSA production or IDPA. For USPSA limited you can do whatever you want to it. There will be a lot you need to figure out about your sporting use for the gun before you can know exactly what you want to do with it.... One thing I do know is there is a lot that can be done to make the CZ trigger fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by shooterDrew

I personally do not know if I will ever use it for shooting sports... its a really nice pistol:) Just a range toy for now... I do know this, a trip to David at CGW or Stuart at CZC with a Flat Black trigger and a some more magic to the internals and it will be really sweet! I personally have never seen one with bluing like the one I have (I did the blue work)... not optimal for holstering etc... great for turning heads:)

IMG_4367_zpspfno3vdu.jpg

IMG_4364_zpsdtxzmqpu.jpg

IMG_4365_zpst1x3sxnt.jpg

IMG_4368_zpszxb5dfpb.jpg

IMG_4369_zpsfiue6bi6.jpg

IMG_4366_zpssdmwzrxp.jpg

I love that blued shadow. I wanted to have my beater Pre B blued, but went with black T instead... you are making me regret that decision.

I really see no benefit to going to a SAO on a Shadow. If you aren't competing, you are probably shooting mostly SA anyway and if you are wanting to compete, you need the DA/SA unless you want to get blown out shooting limited minor. The Pre B disconnector or CGW disconnector will fix the issues you have with take up in single action. I'd start there, it's a sub $50 part and pretty straight forward to do yourself, particularly if you go with the CGW drop in unit.

Edited by tha1000

I see no need for DA at all. You don't need it for any sporting division.

If you do want to use it for USPSA, IPSC, or IDPA, then there are definitely divisions that require DA.

If you were to convert to SAO, you would lose the ability to compete in USPSA/IPSC Production division and IDPA SSP division. In USPSA, you would be relegated to Limited (or L10), and in IPSC, you would be shooting Standard. I believe that a SAO SP-01 would be ineligible for use in IDPA at all, as the full-length dustcover is normally not permitted in ESP, except on pistols that can also qualify for SSP (which would require DA/SA).

If you don't care about being competitive, only plan on using it in outlaw matches, or are just going to be blasting away at the range, then converting it to SAO is a fine idea.

If you do want to use it for USPSA, IPSC, or IDPA, then there are definitely divisions that require DA.

If you were to convert to SAO, you would lose the ability to compete in USPSA/IPSC Production division and IDPA SSP division. In USPSA, you would be relegated to Limited (or L10), and in IPSC, you would be shooting Standard. I believe that a SAO SP-01 would be ineligible for use in IDPA at all, as the full-length dustcover is normally not permitted in ESP, except on pistols that can also qualify for SSP (which would require DA/SA).

If you don't care about being competitive, only plan on using it in outlaw matches, or are just going to be blasting away at the range, then converting it to SAO is a fine idea.

Yeah, if I do not shoot USPSA this spring, I will probably convert it... I have been telling myself that I would try it out several times. Still have not.

Yeah, if I do not shoot USPSA this spring, I will probably convert it... I have been telling myself that I would try it out several times. Still have not.

Keep it like it is and go shoot some USPSA. Theres a match on sunday in Polo if your interested.

If you put a hand fit disconnector and properly fit it you can have zero take up on SA. I had a shadow I hand fit the disconnector and it had a better trigger than most 1911/2011. I even had a few 2011 Limited guys that said they were afraid they would AD with a SA trigger like that. Trigger was also just under 2lbs. Both David at CGW and Stuart at CZC can install a hand fit disconnector to your specifications on how much, if any SA take up you want. In other words there is no need to covert to SAO to eliminate SA pre-travel you can do it with a hand fit disconnector.

You really have a near perfect handgun to shoot USPSA and IDPA. Don't screw it up by turning SAO. Like it's been suggested, a conversation with one of the two best CZ tuners about what aspects of each trigger mode bothers you will come up with a plan to fix them and still leave the pistol acceptable for sport shooting.

A Single Action only SP01 is stuck to only being able to play in limited minor and you would be competing against purpose built Limited guns.

My Acu Shadow Lite has a Single Action trigger but I use it for IDPA for use in Enhanced Service Pistol since I have the short dustcover.

Personally, my hand fitted Type 3 disconnector with my 85 combat trigger on my SP01 Shadows feels better to me in single action mode to me and I can shoot it easily in Double action mode as well.

Edited by himurax13

C5535, since you did not say what you have decided, I'll add my two cents. I'd get David or CZC to polish everything up and do a good trigger job, including reducing the reset. It makes a world of difference. I shot a 75B yesterday that was completely stock. It sucked. I'm basically a SA guy and I'm a trigger snob. I shot another 75B previously that had the trigger work done by CZC. It was astoundingly good. DA pull was light, smooth and short. SA pull was almost as good as a tuned 1911. Reset was so short it was unbelievable. It was a lot better than my custom P226 with all the action work.

Once you get rid of all the creep and the grittiness, it is super easy to learn to put the first shot where you want it using DA. If you are shooting games where you start at low ready, it doesn't make any difference. Cock the hammer and shoot SA.