Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson 9mm 1911 Mags

ogiebb

ok so I am starting to set up my gear for Single Stack Minor I have shot 1 match with it already and it was good. only thing that's a bit of work is cleaning mags as my Dawson mags come with a spacer that's a bit annoying whenever I put them back together. anyone here removed the spacers and still ran reliably? or did you glue or weld the spacers permanently?

Thanks for any help on this :)

If you remove the spacers, I think you'll need to replace the followers with 38 super followers, but then you can also load longer and it might improve feeding.

I think gluing or welding would not be a great idea. Would leave too many hard to clean nooks and crannies.

I find that even with the spacers, the mags take about 1/2 the time for me to clean as the old-school style mags (like my cmc 45 mags).

Hello: I am starting to get all my gear setup again for single stack since I sold most of it off. Are most guys using the 38 mags or the 9mm mags? I was using both in my old Spartan 9mm and it did not seem to care which one I was using. I have a Springfield Loaded 9mm coming and would like to get some Dawson's for it. Any info is appreciated. Thanks, Eric

I am running dawsons for minor. They are very good. Having an issue with one mag causing a double feed on occasion. been tweaking

the feed lips trying to get it lined out. I have one chip mccormick 9mm mag, no spacer and seems to be doing well. It is very tight to load 10 in it.

CZC sells a tool for that. 10 bucks I think. If I have to unload I just us a small pick under the front of the round as I push on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Eric, most guys now seem to be running the 9mm mags with spacers. I ran Wilson etm 9mm mags in my loaded and had no problems apart from them being tight at 10 rounds. The general consensus though is the Tripp cobra mags are the best 10 round 9mm option.

Hello: I appreciate the info. Tight 10 round downloading them is not a problem if you tap the back of the mag on a table as you are unloading them. You can use your hand as the table as well. I will be using a Dawson no gap magwell so I may just get the Dawsons first with his base pads. Thanks, Eric

I was using Dawson mags and had the same issue "downloading" them. Additionally, I had a problem "downloading" them with 'em in the gun and the trigger being pulled. They just wouldn't run when fully-loaded or close. Closer inspection revealed that the rim of the top case was getting hung up on the extractor groove of the round under it.

I had a brain-storming session with a buddy and we decided to sacrifice one mag to experimentation. We cut 1.5 coils off of the magazine spring. All the problems went away. I shot several hundred rounds flawlessly through that mag before making the big leap and cutting all of the springs. Since cutting them, I have not had one jam with the gun <knocks on wood>.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use the no gap dawsons and have had no problems. My little brother ran my 9mm Trojan at the High Desert 100% with those mags. They do suck to unload but you can use the LULA and instead of adding rounds unload. works great.