quick review-new lee auto drum powder measure

dave33

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A friend and I tried his with H4831 last night. Poor results. Don't think it will work well with long extruded powder. It appeared to be denting the entrance to the drum from attempting to cut powder. This is for a 300 Win Mag and we'll try it with spherical powder as soon as we get some that is anywhere near H4831 in burn rate.

I'll try mine this week with H335 in a .223/5.56 and report my results afterwards.

Yeah I'm not sure it'll go so well with stick powders but then most auto powder drops struggle. If it doesn't leak with really fine powder like 3n38 I'll be happy. I have some smaller extruded powder (n105) and I'll try that too.

So far it's been great for me with flake + disc shape powder. But I've had only small runs.

I hope it works out. It'd be great if the drums were alluminium but then they'd be $40 each instead of $15 for a 4 pack!

Mine is far more consistent than the auto disk but it pisses wst everywhere

Mine did the same with HS6 (similar size powder) at first. Cleaning all the mating surfaces again really well and playing with the drum tension seems to have cured mine.

Follow up report with my new measure with H335.

Starting out I'd suggest taking whichever drum you are going to use and wipe it and the inside of the body with rubbing alcohol, or some other solvent, to get them really clean. Then put the drum in, after unit on press, and tighten it up really tight and cycle it 15 or 20 times with no powder in it to get it all well seated. Make sure the measure is adjusted - up and down - so that the drum cycles all the way without crushing the case mouth - only tried w/.223 so no experience with pistol cases. I'm loading 25.5 grs of H335 so I put the little plug in the end of the metering rod in the large drum and made a wild guess where to set it. Lucked out and got within a half grain.

Got it adjusted to 25.5 on my scale - balance beam, not electronic - and ran 10 loads and they all seemed to be with five or ten thousandths of the same spot when beam settled down.

Real happy with it and had absolutely no leakage of powder around the drum so I highly recommend it for small grained powder.

Did not have good luck with friends trying to set up for H4831, seemed to dent edge of opening in drum trying to cut powder so think these measures are better suited for spherical powders.

Gunna try some 3n38 in it tonight (very fine powder). If it doesn't leak with that it should be good. I don't load any rifle atm but n105 is similar to a stick powder so I'll try that too. So far it's met my expectations.

It's miles easier to swap powders than my dillon measure. And miles easier to adjust loads too.

One cool thing is you can take a case and put it on a scale. Spoon in powder to the weight you want. Then grab a drum wind back the insert to give some room, dump the charge into the drum then wind the insert in till the powder is flush with the top. It's now basically 99% there. No need to muck around dropping and weighing heaps of charges. :)

Finally got it setup for 3n38 which is a very fine/dense powder. So far so good. Only just really got it going but will report back after a few hundred rounds.

With the other powders loads have been super consistent and no leaks. I was reminded again tonight just how easy it is to change powders. It's literally a 1 min job for a full change over. :)

Loaded another 100 rounds of 10.2gn of 3n38. Happy to report its dropping a very consistent load and not a drop of powder leaking anywhere. I've now used 3 different drums with 3 different powders and all have been good.

After the 3n38 load I emptied it out and swapped to my steel challenge powder and drum. It really is so easy to swap. I tested a few drops again and of course it was spot on.

One tip. Be careful not to over tighten the screw that holds in the drum. It doesn't need to be super tight. If you over tighten it the drum won't go full stroke. I had it too tight and it suddenly chucked just a few flecks. Looked at the drum and saw it hadn't fully returned to the top. Checked it all. Loosened it off a touch and it was perfect again.

So far I'm really happy. It's a great measure if you want quick setups for different powders or even just different loads of the same powder. At less than $5 a drum you can have one for every load you want. :)

Okay the old lady is working late and I finally got some time to unbox mine and give er a whirl.

Now to blog about it lol.

First impressions is it seems pretty well made compared to the pro auto disk.

I've been working up a load for my rifle and I'm using IMR 8208. Right now I'm looking for 24 grains. I couldn't get that with any combinations of the disks I tried last week.

Tonight using the new auto drum I got exactly that.

I weighed 10 charges in a row and seven of them were 24.0 and the other three were 24.1

I am definitely happy with the new auto drum!

Thank you Dave33 for starting this thread or else I would not have known about it.

The same goes for Mr. Enos.

Ok I'm convinced enough that this will now be my primary powder measure on my 650. Loaded another few hundred with 3n38 and universal. No leaks, no problems. Even ran the measure dry with universal and it dropped on weight right to the last charge which was just the tiny bit left over. Very happy. Cost less than buying an Arredondo bar/micrometer combo for the dillon measure and got me 6 drums and the full setup. :)

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Basically I used:

Lee powder through expanding die (if you've ever bought a lee 3 die set this comes with it and includes caliber specific powder funnel/expander)

Lee auto disk riser (I needed to use 2. One atop the other to clear my mr bulletfeeder drop tube. With no bullet feeder 1 would suffice)

Lee auto drum

Lee extra drum kit

That's it. :)

Btw I should note there's nothing new in this style powder measure. Lee have had it for years for had actuated dispensers. Hornady and rcbs both have drum types on their progressives too.

What makes this one good is the price. And the ease of swapping powders and drums. And how cheap the drums are.

Rcbs actually have a new version out with their pro chucker 5 and 7 progressives and it looks like a really nice measure. Very reliable linkage/actuator and instead of changing drums you just remove the tube insert and swap to another. I think you do have to remove the whole thing to dump out powder though. And while its twice the quality of the lee it's something like 4 times the price. It's very nice though.

Edit: actually the new rcbs measure does allow easy emptying of powder but I was a bit off on price. It's retail is $320 together with a toolhead that on its own is about $40. So call it $280 or so. Pricey indeed.

Edited by BeerBaron

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered mine yesterday for my LCT with spare drums. I hope this is my godsend, Pro disc was a no go for me since my load is 2.7gr of TG. I've been dropping every single charge from a perfect powder measure by hand. 1000rds a month for the past year. It's going to feel weird not pulling the cases out after priming and flaring to fill them.

Edited by Slostang

Well I finally got around to setting up the auto drum and my results seem to be very different than the rest of you. Was using VV N320 trying to do 3.2 grains. I got it adjusted, but it was never throwing consistently. I got powder drops ranging from 2.96 - 3.36. It would do a few consistently around 3.2, then go back to throwing really bad drops. I gave up on it and went back to the auto disk, measured 10 powder drops and every one was within .05 grains; N320 has always metered well for me with the auto disk.

Has anyone else tried N320 with the auto drum?

A few other observations:

-The auto drum leaked some N320. Not a ton, but found some on the bench and ground. The auto disk doesn't ever leak N320.

-The powder hopper just sits unsecured on top of the auto drum and mine was fairly loose fitting. It felt like if I bumped into my reloading bench I could knock the hopper off. Is everyone else's on there so loosely?

-The instructions talked about each turn of the flat on the key was .1 grains. I was envisioning feeling some sort of click or something each turn, I couldn't feel the turn at all for measuring the flats; is everyone else's like this too?

Don't know what or how your working your Lee Drum,N320 should and is one of the easiest metering powders.Sure your disconnector or whatever they call is getting activated in the up stroke, I'm using it w/hs6 a flakier powder and its flawless

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Don't know what or how your working your Lee Drum,N320 should and is one of the easiest metering powders.Sure your disconnector or whatever they call is getting activated in the up stroke, I'm using it w/hs6 a flakier powder and its flawless

Yeah that's why I'm so confused why it's not working properly!

I removed the disconnector before using. Not sure what else I could have done wrong...

Oh also, I noticed the drum has some play to it; I can rotate it about 1/8th of a turn if I try twisting it. Is everyone else's like that too? It seemed to always return to the same place after a powder drop, but that might have something to do with my issues. I tried tightening the drum, but that play didn't go away.

Southpaw, your making the drum bolt to tight. It needs to be kinda loose. Set it up empty, put the brass up and down, it should move really free and quickly.

Sorry, I'm probably not explaining it very good.

I never figured out how to disconnect the disconnector tho using it on a progressive chain seems to work activating powder dispenser, at first chain wasn't set right it would throw erratic powder weights not a big deal fixing as I just tighten the chain until it would work,I bring that up because that's when I experienced erratic weight throws.No I never really wanted or needed to disconnect, the saftey lever.

Find this powder drum dispensers great,super easy increasing and decreasing powder wieghts, amazingly consistent, anyway this ra ra talk isn't helping your problem, good luck