Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

quick review-new lee auto drum powder measure

dave33

Has anyone else tried WST with the auto drum? I just got around to trying it. Very consistent powder drops, but leaked a lot..

I would check your setup, I can load WST all day long and not spill a flake. Mine will run AA#2, which is even finer powder without leaking also.

Where are you seeing the grains of powder? Its not powder that has splashed out of a case as you run the press, or possibly some flakes you might of splashed out while checking a powder charge on your scale is it?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has anyone else tried WST with the auto drum? I just got around to trying it. Very consistent powder drops, but leaked a lot..

I would check your setup, I can load WST all day long and not spill a flake. Mine will run AA#2, which is even finer powder without leaking also.

Where are you seeing the grains of powder? Its not powder that has splashed out of a case as you run the press, or possibly some flakes you might of splashed out while checking a powder charge on your scale is it?

Thanks for the info. Good to hear this isn't the norm, although not sure why it's happening for me. I can try tightening the screw more I guess, but I think I already had it the right tightness, same way I was doing it for the N320 I was using before. I'm hoping maybe the drum is just breaking in as I used a new drum for the WST.

It's definitely leaking, not spilled powder. I see it coming out all along the edge of the drum and it's falling all over the toolhead, shellplate, bullet tray, bench...pretty much everywhere :(

Thanks for the info. Good to hear this isn't the norm, although not sure why it's happening for me. I can try tightening the screw more I guess, but I think I already had it the right tightness, same way I was doing it for the N320 I was using before. I'm hoping maybe the drum is just breaking in as I used a new drum for the WST.

It's definitely leaking, not spilled powder. I see it coming out all along the edge of the drum and it's falling all over the toolhead, shellplate, bullet tray, bench...pretty much everywhere :(

Dont know if this will help or not but its what I would do. Take the drum out and make sure its clean, also make sure the drum housing is clean, including the channel that runs around the outer edge of the drum thats designed to catch stray powder flakes. Also, inspect the drum housing to make sure there are no nicks or damage to the metal. Before you put the drum back in take a marker and make a mark of where both the holes are so you know when your drum is making a full rotation. When you put the drum back in tighten it up so it doesnt make a full rotation, then start slowly loosening it in very small steps until it does. Go slow moving the back screw in very small steps. I believe there is a fine line between being too tight to move enough, and too loose, and when you get there I bet it doesnt leak any powder.

i just got mine yesterday and loaded a few rounds on it with WSF. not a leak anywhere. Also, for those that did not read the instructions, the rifle one can be made into a pistol one by inserting a plug.

i found it accurate and easy to use. i have been using the auto disk for years. they should have made it years ago