Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

quick review-new lee auto drum powder measure

dave33

Amazon has them they are Prime eligible.

Do you have a link? I been checking Amazon every day to get it on prime. The only places that have it on Amazon is Titan and Optics Planet and they both want like 50 bucks for it. They dont have extra drums either.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No you don't have to press the lever every time you charge on a progressive. It has a spring return and you can add a chain if you wish.

It looks like you can remove the dis-connector button too ... and then it works by case activation only (which would be a must-do with a turret).

Well it better work with a LCT since that's what I was planning on putting it on! :o We shall see next week or whenever it arrives. I think the description did say it works with the turret press.

Yep ... I ordered one last night for my turret.

I found a nice review here ... http://ingunowners.com/forums/ammunition-reloading/393421-lee-auto-drum-powder-measure-quick-review.html

where they actually talk about removing the disconnect button.

- quote from review - "the disconnect button is easily removed by removing the screw and pushing the connecting rod out to its furthest point. If you want to run this in a turret or progressive configuration, you'll want to get rid of this ASAP."

I got mine Friday, the last few pages in the instruction booklet explains about the removal of the little arm so it will work automatically.

Looks like it will work just fine. I'll put it on my .223 press and see how the powder adjustment functions, hopefully as outlined in the manual.

If you plan on loading cases longer than .223 you need to get the long rifle charging die - says it will go up to and including .300 win mag. Probably easier to get both.

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-charging-die-kit-90995.html

Disclaimer: This is from a new reloader as of 3 p.m. today CST.

I really like the Lee Auto Drum Powder Measure. I finally got my Lee Classic Turret Press operational this afternoon. I had the following results with the powder measure:

1. I mounted the powder measure and filled the hopper with Titegroup. First charge right out of the box with no adjustments was 4.6 grains.

2. Turned my key the wrong direction and the next charge was 5.2 grains (operator's error)

3. A little adjustment in the right direction and the charge was 4.3

4. One full rotation of the key got me to my chosen charge of 3.2

5. Another 10 test charges consistently charged 3.2 grains. I was pleased.

6. I loaded 18 rounds to test three different primers and spot checked the powder charges . . . 3.2 grains on the dot!

PS: Remember that the top on the hopper will fall off . . . I accidentally wasted about 1/2 on the floor when trying to remove the hopper when I finished loading. Of course, that is when my wife happen to come to see what I was doing and the powder on the floor. I won't repeat what she said . . . use your imagination:)

FYI: I was loading .38 Special using 158 grain RNFP (Berry's Plated) with a 1.44 O.A.L. Will visit the range on Thursday morning. . . hoping for the best!

Uncledoc, quick tip on the LCT. Keep a big funnel on your bench and wipe it down inside and out with a dryer sheet to prevent static. When your finished your loading session, put the funnel in your powder keg, pop the whole turret out and dump the powder back. Don't try to unscrew the powder measure from the die to dump it because there is a good chance you will do what you just did.

Congratulations on your first rounds man, it's a great feeling when the wholes appear in the target with rounds that you made.

Got mine today in the mail.

Haven't loaded with it yet but it's basically setup and ready to go.

I'm running mine on a dillon 650 with lee dies and mr bullet feeder.

A few points:

For pistol convert your large drums to small. With the extra pack you then have 6 drums you can preset for different loads/powders.

On the 650 you need to run the lee powder measure riser and if you're running a mr bullet feeder like I am you'll actually need 2 stacked on top of each other so the hopper clears your bullet feeder drop tube.

You can either use the bead chain for the disconnect or remove it all together. I removed it. You don't need it. The measure has a very strong spring return. I'm comfortable relying on that.

The unit is nicely made. Has a nice big elastomer wiper that should help stop powder cutting for extruded powders.

Drums are easy to adjust. Easy to set and easy to change. It's a nice setup.

I like having a hopper that can be turned off and easily removed and emptied.

So far it looks good.

I'm looking forward to being able to quickly swap powders/loads within the same toolhead which I do want to do with my 38 super open major loads.

I'm looking forward to using the lee expander again too as I find it easier to adjust than the dillon.

I'll post some pics later of it on the 650. :)

Initial testing with HS-6 not as good as expected.

Powder drop accuracy was on par with the autodisk, but it actually leaked more powder than the autodisk. Looks to be migrating through the labyrinth groove the drum rotates in. Tried tightening that until it started impacting the return rotation of the drum - still leaked.

Everything is cleaned and wiped down to reduce static. Tried dusting a bit with mica as well.

The ability to easily adjust the charge weight in small increments is nice.

I'll have to play with it a bit more when I get time.

Initial testing with HS-6 not as good as expected.
Powder drop accuracy was on par with the autodisk, but it actually leaked more powder than the autodisk. Looks to be migrating through the labyrinth groove the drum rotates in. Tried tightening that until it started impacting the return rotation of the drum - still leaked.
Everything is cleaned and wiped down to reduce static. Tried dusting a bit with mica as well.
The ability to easily adjust the charge weight in small increments is nice.
I'll have to play with it a bit more when I get time.

I have been waiting to see if anyone has leakage issues, before I buy one. I have had terrible luck with those perfect powder measures. You couldn't give me a truck load of those things.

I have no leakage at all, from my autodisks, using WSF and AutoComp. Looks like I'll be continuing to use them.

Update: I pulled it back apart and cleaned up all the mating surfaces again really good and re-dusted with mica and it seems to be leak-free now.

Did about 100 drops with HS6 and had zero flakes leak this time. I tightened the adjustment knob just a smidge past where the drum is movement free. Drop accuracy was mostly in the +/- 0.05 range.

My pro-autos leak a little with fine powders, but work well and drop accurately once I have a disk hole modified to the drop I want.

The big advantage with this measure over the pro-auto is the ability to quickly make drop adjustments and be able to do them in small increments. The adjustable charge bar for the pro-auto is garbage and very inaccurate in my experience. The auto drum may also do really small charges safely from what I've heard, just haven't messed with that yet.

Update: I pulled it back apart and cleaned up all the mating surfaces again really good and re-dusted with mica and it seems to be leak-free now.

Did about 100 drops with HS6 and had zero flakes leak this time. I tightened the adjustment knob just a smidge past where the drum is movement free. Drop accuracy was mostly in the +/- 0.05 range.

My pro-autos leak a little with fine powders, but work well and drop accurately once I have a disk hole modified to the drop I want.

The big advantage with this measure over the pro-auto is the ability to quickly make drop adjustments and be able to do them in small increments. The adjustable charge bar for the pro-auto is garbage and very inaccurate in my experience. The auto drum may also do really small charges safely from what I've heard, just haven't messed with that yet.

Yeah, I have one of those adjustable charge bars too. I would give it away . . . that's how much I like it.

Agreed I bought the lee micro adjustable charge bar and its crap. Got the odd very light charge which was enough for me to consign it to the draw. I also have had zero problems with the pro auto disk (using spring return, hate the chain). I still have one on one of my 650 toolheads. As you point out the hassle is modding a hole to the load you want.

Well I've now loaded 100 rounds with 2 different powders using 2 different drums. I didn't lube or put graphite or mica anywhere. Perhaps that contributed to leaks?

Mine has been leak free so far.

Swapping drums has been a piece of cake. Even on my 650 where it's crowded between the primer magazine and my bullet feeder drop tube. Nothing is touching or rubbing but I have to use 2 of the riser tubes. No Ill effects from that either that I've found.

Dialing in a new charge is a piece of cake. The way it's designed I believe it will drop even really small charges accurately.

Emptying and changing powder is also easy.

One question:

When I first pulled it out of the box I was removing the disconnect and changing a drum. I ended up with a small domed washer on the table and have no idea where it goes?

Does it just go under the screw that holds the plastic disconnect part or did it come from the knob that screws in to secure the drum? Any help would be great! I can't find mention of it in the manual.

So far I'm very happy. Will test it with some 3n38 soon which is so fine it's like dust.

> snip <

When I first pulled it out of the box I was removing the disconnect and changing a drum. I ended up with a small domed washer on the table and have no idea where it goes?

Does it just go under the screw that holds the plastic disconnect part or did it come from the knob that screws in to secure the drum? Any help would be great! I can't find mention of it in the manual.

> snip <

Same here!! :mellow:

Did the same as you and ended up with the same washer (a little wave washer). Can't find anywhere to put it.

post-61067-0-20162800-1446369200_thumb.j

A friend and I tried his with H4831 last night. Poor results. Don't think it will work well with long extruded powder. It appeared to be denting the entrance to the drum from attempting to cut powder. This is for a 300 Win Mag and we'll try it with spherical powder as soon as we get some that is anywhere near H4831 in burn rate.

I'll try mine this week with H335 in a .223/5.56 and report my results afterwards.