Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon XL650 time saver?

First off, I have been reading everything I can lately regarding the 650. I feel like I have the blue itch. Lately it seems like I have spent more time tweaking a machine than loading.

Currently I am loading on a Hornady LnL without case feeder, but I do have the bullet feeder tubes. I bought it 2 years ago after a ton of research. Mostly due to caliber conversion ease and being relatively new to loading. The internet pushed me that direction. Fast forward, I feel like I could have made a better choice. Now I shoot just production, at about 1k+ a month. All other loading is done on a single stage for revolvers. The volume on those is only 1500 a year. And I rarely shoot rifle anymore.

So here is where I am. I'd love some real world input on time savings. Especially if anyone has used or owned both machines. I know its hard not to be biased sometimes.

My idea is I can go down to the basement with a free hour and turn out 400+ rounds without having to tweak and adjust. Turnkey basically. Now understanding anything mechanical can fail and need maintenance will the 650 do this?

And what in your honest opinions would you consider the drawbacks or cons of the 650?

The only downside is cost. I went from a hornady LNL to a 1050 and a 650. Best decision I ever made. My priming issues went away, Case feeders on both work great. I get very few jams and spend much less time screwing with the press and more time loading.

No cons on going to a 650 if your stated objectives is what you’re truly looking for. I had my 650 to load 9mm only for several years, pretty much zero issues other than a single broken index return spring. I cleaned and lubed the press every 3-4k, usually loading that amount in a week then putting the cover on for 2-3 months.

The only downside is cost. I went from a hornady LNL to a 1050 and a 650. Best decision I ever made. My priming issues went away, Case feeders on both work great. I get very few jams and spend much less time screwing with the press and more time loading.

The cost is putting me off a little. But I figure it could be worth the time savings. Why did you make the switch? Any specific reason? I've been fighting with the shell plate more than anything. It's always too tight or too loose. So priming suffers and I get tipped bullets.

The cost is putting me off a little. But I figure it could be worth the time savings. Why did you make the switch? Any specific reason? I've been fighting with the shell plate more than anything. It's always too tight or too loose. So priming suffers and I get tipped bullets.

I load about 800 rounds an hour on both of those presses including setup. I was lucky to get 400 on the LNL but more like 300 on average. The final straw for the switch was this:

The hopper on the powder measure came loose making the charges inconsistent, the primer shuttle exploded, the indexing key on the ram cracked and the guide wire for the priming system warped. Hornady replaced the parts, but there was a lot of back and forth and they sent me the wrong versions of a couple of things. I was down for about 2 months trying to get it running again.

I had already upgraded to a 1050 for 9mm because I was tired of military brass shutting it down but kept the lnl for .45 and .40. I was already spoiled running up to 1000 rounds an hour through the 1050 so I said screw it and ordered a 650 in .45 and .40 to replace the LNL. I fixed up the LNL and sold it. Installed the 650 and was instantly pushing 800 rounds an hour. I don't get high primers, I don't get inconsistent charges, I have a case feeder that works and doesn't tip cases, the OAL is more consistent, the priming system doesn't catch or jam and I don't have case ejection issues. Totally worth it.

post-26228-0-01941600-1442175296_thumb.j

post-26228-0-24006500-1442175311_thumb.j

post-26228-0-24908900-1442175326_thumb.j

I personally think that you would benefit from a xl650.

But, keep in mind that all equipment has a learning curve, and the 650 is no different.

In the beginning, I'd recommend that you go slow, and become familiar with what each station is doing, so that if a problem does arise, you'll have the knowledge to correct it with minimal disruption.

Also, don't start with the mindset that you have to do X amount of rounds per hour. Just because the machine might be capable, doesn't mean you should push it to the limit.

Take it slow and enjoy the mechanical masterpiece that the Dillon xl650 is.

Just my 2 cents.

You can put a star lock washer under the head of your LNL shellplate hold down bolt which will help with your issues. However overall, it still won't be as goo as a 650.

650 case feeder and station 1 locator is better... priming system is better... ram is solid and has more leverage... some people give the edge to the LNL power feeder but I have yet to see issues with the Dillon in 4 different machines especially with a Uniquetek micrometer installed.

You can put a star lock washer under the head of your LNL shellplate hold down bolt which will help with your issues. However overall, it still won't be as goo as a 650.

650 case feeder and station 1 locator is better... priming system is better... ram is solid and has more leverage... some people give the edge to the LNL power feeder but I have yet to see issues with the Dillon in 4 different machines especially with a Uniquetek micrometer installed.

I tred a star washer, and shimmed the press. It still isn't what I consider smooth. I was thinking about adding a case feeder to see if it would make it more enjoyable, but it seems like a band-aid at this point. One issue with the 650 though is space. I have 47" of clearance to the lowest point. I do have space between the floor joists above though that i could squeeze it in. I would hate to order it and it not fit. And dropping the bench isn't really an option (tapconnned into the wall and floor).

My idea is I can go down to the basement with a free hour and turn out 400+ rounds without having to tweak and adjust. Turnkey basically. Now understanding anything mechanical can fail and need maintenance will the 650 do this?

Could you do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl63cR9Y_Y0

And this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WTZ-_v6Mks

For a half an hour? If so you will have 400 rounds in an hour.

OP, you haven't mentioned this yet, so I will bring it up now.

Read the XL650 Tips and Tricks sub-forum http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=584

Tons of information on tweaking and improving the functionality and reliability of the 650.

I have used a number of the suggestions from this thread.

The UniqueTech powder measure micrometer, dead-nuts accurate, but difficult to read scale, much less remember how to.

Home made used primer catcher that drops the primer and residual gunk down a tube into a sealed container. Really helps keep my bench cleaner.

Roller bearing on shell plate. Allows bolt to be tightened to the point that there is almost no wobble in the shell plate, is still quite smooth, and reduces the 'Snap' when the plate rotates.

Also, check Armslist for XL650's for sale, ask if they will ship. Most won't or want too much to ship.

I was lucky, I found one for sale locally, for some substantial savings.

Timing my loading speed on my 650 which does not have a bullet feeder but does have a case feeder I was able to load 100 rounds of 9mm in a bit under 8 minutes. Extrapolate that out and I come up with 700 rounds an hour under ideal conditions.

I just can't pull the handle for 60 minutes straight but I have managed 400 rounds very easy with time off to add primers from already filled tubes and more cases.

The LNL appears to be a fine machine but it seems to get knocked here quite a bit. Granted the slant here is towards Blue but there is a very good reason for that as you already know. My first Dillon was a 550 that I bought slightly used and kept it for 21 years. With everything I sold with the press it totalled current prices at 1k. I asked $700 and the first person to see it took it home.

I considered the LNL before purchasing the 650 but with my previous 21 years of Dillon quality and service it just made no sense to me to switch. The more I see and hear about the LNL IKNOW I made the right decision.

Buy a 650 you will not look back!

The cost is putting me off a little. But I figure it could be worth the time savings./quote]

Your children will be glad you bought a Dillon when they leave it to their children.

The Dillon is a once a lifetime purchase, it's nothing when you consider how long you and your's will have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was in the same place you were, then I finally got frustrated enough to get aXL650 this month. I had to tape up my powder setup and I was hand priming all of my cases. The final straw was I was getting inconsistent OAL, +/- mid hundredths on EVERY completed round. I also was concerned with the cost of having to replace my LnL, but looking back it was the best move in my reloading process. We are so hung up on the cost/value equation, but I realized how much FRUSTRATION (or lack of) is worth. Now I just giggle when I am done with a 1000k session, thinking of ZERO problems. Just like Brian said, "I wish I wouldn't have waited so long to upgrade from the LnL to a 650"

Edited by mike821504

If your hands are quick, 650 won't save you much time over 550/SDB. You can do 100 rounds/5 min on any of these. However, 650 is much less work. No sweat doing 100 rounds/5 min.

I upgraded from SDB to 650 (with case and Mr. Bullet feeder). Now I load 500 rounds per session without feeling my arms exhausted. I used to load maximum of 200 rounds per session on SDB, not because it took too long but because it was a lot of work!

I have owned both the LNL and the 650. I gave the LNL to a friend, and kept the Dillon.

If you ever look in the IDPA magazine after the finals, they list equipment used. There is a reason these high volume shooters are using Dillon reloader by something like 98 to 2.

my 650 has been a huge time saver. considering I used to process by hand 1k cases of 223 at a time on a rockchucker single stage. it was pretty terrible. I can still feel my fingers hurting when I think about it. best thing I ever did was buy the 650. now im looking at a 1050 and making my 650 dedicated pistol most likely.