Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon XL650 time saver?

I'm with jmoris. 100 rounds in 5min on a 550 or sdb would be pretty special. That allows 3sec per round, every round. No slips, no stops. Pickup, orient and place a case, pickup, orient and place a bullet, cycle ram up, cycle ram down. I wouldn't say it's impossible. But it's pretty much on the edge. 100 in 5min on a 650 with bullet and casefeeders is just a stroll in the park. With no finger cramp.

I have a 650 with a case and bullet feeder and can do 100 rounds in under 6 minutes, once all the components are loaded, without trying to go fast. All I need to do is pull the handle and watch the powder load in each case. I hang onto the now defunct Dillon bullet tray with my left hand for stability. I haven't tried to see how fast I can load, I just get into a rhythm and load 500 to a 1,000 at a time. I only stop every hundred rounds to load primers, and other components if required, and check the powder load and OAL.

Every now and again something will come loose or a wrong calibre case will cause a problem but it is generally pretty smooth sailing.

I concur on the 650...... Best investment I've made.......I strongly recommend the case feeder, crazy not to have one, powder alarm, many extra primer tubes. Refilling primer tubes is the downside to this process . As suggested by a poster here I have a total of 10 tubes now , as to keep on loadin'.

I would defiantly NOT suggest a bullet feeder. I don't have enough confidence in the system to lose control with one. I still get,the occasional wrong brass down the tube . Or bad primer seating. I like to feel the process with the handle....it will defiantly tell you is something is amiss......

Once completely set up.....you should crank out 400-500 of 9mm an hour.......just my opinions...

I just bout a 650 to replace my 550. I love the difference. Still there is a learning curve to setting the machine up but after looking at the optional video I saw my mistakes. Now everything is ready.

I bought the machine through Brian Enos's store. Very happy with the service. I ordered the 650 with case feeder on Sunday and it showed up Tuesday morning. Casefeeder was back ordered so I was a bit disappointed to hear that but it came in the next day. Now that's service.

I started with a Dillon 300 many years ago, went to a 450, then a number of 550s over the years and now the 650.

You can't go wrong with Dillon. Brian is great to do business with and supports the shooting community so I will support him.

If your hands are quick, 650 won't save you much time over 550/SDB. You can do 100 rounds/5 min on any of these.

I would be impressed in 100 rounds in 5 min on a 550.

+1. I am pretty quick on my 550. I can do 100 rounds in 8 minutes if everything is perfect, no stoppages. I still confirm powder in every case via a mirror. 5 minutes is really fast and probably beyond the capabilities of most reloaders

I have a LNL AP and loaded 9 mm, 45 ACP etc. I bought a Dillon 1050 fo 9mm and would recommend any Dillon over the Hornady LNL. I had to constantly adjust, tweak and nurse the LNL w/ Case feeder. Replaced parts. I could not get 100 rounds loaded without having to tighten align or adjust something. I found production with the LNL to be more efficient by removing the cheaply implemented case feeder. Painful.

I looked at the value of my time and frustration and decided to go with a 1050 as I load for me and my wife in 9mm. I recently loaded some 45 ACP on the LNL and may get a caliber conversion for the 1050. I will keep the LNL for backup if something goes south on the 1050. I have loaded about 20000 rounds on the 1050 with no problems to speak.

In short get a Dillon for progressive presses.

Satch

• 4 months later...

I just ordered an XL650 yesterday. I really looking forward to getting it and getting started reloading. This will be my first press so I am sure it will take some time and tinkering to get it set up correctly but I am looking forward to it. I decided to go with this press first as a result of reading a lot on this forum and also watching a lot of videos. I am sure it will be great for me and fit my needs well. I will probably have many questions and it is good to know I have a place to go to for answers.

Love my 550 but 100 rounds in 5 mins? Sorry i gotta throw the "BS" flag on that... Maybe one time for a bet, but not regular "production". ;) More like 300 rounds an hour.

I have a 1050... The case feeder is a big time saver. Auto indexing helps too. I ran a 650 in the Dillon show room, I'd guess the 650 will be VERY close to the production 1050. The only reason it would be any slower is the time it takes to push "up" to seat the primer.

Only having ONE job for each hand on the 650 makes loading simpler, faster... Left hand sets bullets, right hand pulls the handle. :D

I'd never reloaded before and bought a 650 and 9mm dies from Brian about a month ago. I bought the base machine thinking I'd gradually add what I needed as I go. Pfffffffttt. In the past two weeks I bought the case feeder, strong mount, bullet tray, tool holder, Inline Fab handle, spare parts kit and powder alarm.

I think I need counseling.

It's a sweet machine and I'm glad I jumped right to it instead of going with an SBD or 550.

on the productivity side....on my Dillon i use a Hornady bullet feeder and die, paid like $260 for them. Combined with the case feeder, now i just have to crank the roller handle...

http://https://www.slickguns.com/search/apachesolr_search/090255953206?solrsort=fs_rating%2520asc

https://www.slickguns.com/search/apachesolr_search/090255953305?upc_only=1&mobile=true

My idea is I can go down to the basement with a free hour and turn out 400+ rounds without having to tweak and adjust. Turnkey basically. Now understanding anything mechanical can fail and need maintenance will the 650 do this?

Could you do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl63cR9Y_Y0

And this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WTZ-_v6Mks

For a half an hour? If so you will have 400 rounds in an hour.

What toolhead is that?

• 3 months later...

What toolhead is that?

It's a GSI feeder/tool head with a homemade collator.

Love my 550 but 100 rounds in 5 mins? Sorry i gotta throw the "BS" flag on that...

Wished he posted a video of the feat last year. 10 min/hundred is a little work on a stock 550. I could buy it if it were case fed with a GSI feeder but not sure how many of them they ever made.

048.jpg

Finally have everything tuned and put 100rds in 8 minutes. That was a nice steady pace with no powder spilled. I'm happy wth that output. I don't need to produce it faster. I can't believe it took this long to go blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk